Extended fasts

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find eggs very, um... binding... so tend to always have them with veg. The thought of just eggs is a bit, um... daunting... for me. ;)
But if it works for you, then GO FOR IT!
Haven't found that to be the case yet.. but my magnesium supplement could be helping in that particular area ...

Reactions: Brunneria

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One method of fasting to reduce insulin insensitivity is to limit your eating to a few hours a day, so just have one meal with water in between, or have two meals within a few hours of each other (breakfast and lunch) with no other food in the day. (I would add at least a packet of salad to the eggs and cheese and have oily fish instead of cheese some days.)

Remember you are not trying to lower BG with a fast, you are trying to increase insulin sensitivity, so it is the BG readings (before/after meals) after the fast is over that shows if it is working.

But check your meds carefully before doing any fasting, as some meds will result in a BG that is too low if you skip meals.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it kinda finished when I went up to the Manchester conference.. and I only had bacon on one day honest...

I was there too as a volunteer. Were you a tad star struck? I was. Without doubt extraordinary speakers (and I see you got to cuddle Jason).

I did a six day fast last month on bone broth and black coffee and it was easy. The only reason I stopped was because I was doing a catering gig in a field and ran out of broth (I IF daily anyway and only eat once a day). I wasn't hungry until I started eating again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was there too as a volunteer. Were you a tad star struck? I was. Without doubt extraordinary speakers (and I see you got to cuddle Jason).

I did a six day fast last month on bone broth and black coffee and it was easy. The only reason I stopped was because I was doing a catering gig in a field and ran out of broth (I IF daily anyway and only eat once a day). I wasn't hungry until I started eating again.
Completely star struck.. had to do a few selfies.. I think we spoke right at the end. I was the CAC scan guy who rather rudely shouted out the cost of mine. Pink polo shirt.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Completely star struck.. had to do a few selfies.. I think we spoke right at the end. I was the CAC scan guy who rather rudely shouted out the cost of mine. Pink polo shirt.

Oh I was all over that! The wifi must have been buzzing after that nugget of info with everyone searching. Those two were captivating (along with Malcolm, Aseem and Jo to name but a few) and I'm fired up to get even better control and knowledge I have now and I've been doing *this* for ten years.

Can you share the results of your scan here?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I was all over that! The wifi must have been buzzing after that nugget of info with everyone searching. Those two were captivating (along with Malcolm, Aseem and Jo to name but a few) and I'm fired up to get even better control and knowledge I have now and I've been doing *this* for ten years.

Can you share the results of your scan here?
Well I got a score of 40 which after 30 years of over eating drinking too much and heavy smoking I thought was ok.
They did give me a dvd with the pics on by my mac unfortunately can't open it so I need to find a windows computed to check it all out.This was the results sheet I got..
CAC Score reduced.png

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, although it must be scary to have the risk laid out like that, I'm surprised with your Hx that it wasn't worse. Are you going to wait a year for the next one? How soon was the scan done after your lifestyle changes?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, although it must be scary to have the risk laid out like that, I'm surprised with your Hx that it wasn't worse. Are you going to wait a year for the next one? How soon was the scan done after your lifestyle changes?
I started low carbing in Nov 2015 probably went full keto 6 months in. I gave up breakfast from the start as well so intermittent fasting. The scan was about 17 months after starting. I wish I'd had one before I started but of course I'd never heard of them then! I'll probably have the next one in a couple of years to see if it has worsened or fingers crossed improved.. although I'm not exactly sure I should be expecting any improvements. I haven't discovered how to do that yet although it was mentioned at Low Carb Breckenridge that one guy has improved his with a very specific vitamin regime but it was only mentioned in passing .