eye tests

spicer81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Up until March 2016 I was having my eyes tested annually, now Specsavers tell me that the NHS have changed their policy
and say eye tests are held every two years, even for diabetics. Can anyone verify this? Specsavers seem to have a reputation for giving out false information, I'm wondering if this is one of those occasions.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they saying that applies to the over 60's as well who were advised to have yearly tests and not just diabetics. I have never heard it said that diabetics should have a routine annual eye test only a annual retinal scan. I just had a reminder from my optician that my annual eye test is due

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Up until March 2016 I was having my eyes tested annually, now Specsavers tell me that the NHS have changed their policy
and say eye tests are held every two years, even for diabetics. Can anyone verify this? Specsavers seem to have a reputation for giving out false information, I'm wondering if this is one of those occasions.

They are correct. My optician is an independent family concern, and I was told the same thing on my last visit. Free annual eye sight tests are no longer available from the NHS. They are now every 2 years, including pensioners. It is only if there are eye problems that annual tests can be retained, and the optician decides this.

The annual retinal screening for diabetics remains annually.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are correct. My optician is an independent family concern, and I was told the same thing on my last visit. Free annual eye sight tests are no longer available from the NHS. They are now every 2 years, including pensioners. It is only if there are eye problems that annual tests can be retained, and the optician decides this.

The annual retinal screening for diabetics remains annually.
I had my annual eye test last week at Specsavers and the optician has made an appointment for this Friday for a test with drops as I mentioned a persistent floater. This is despite having had a clear retinopathy test in March and a slit lamp test last week. I can't complain about them not being thorough. I will ask about the annual eye test policy for diabetics.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
That's interesting about eye tests now every 2 years. I used a independent opticians in my village and wondered why I hadn,t had a reminder to book my appointment.
Because of no reminder, last Friday I walked up to the opticians to book an appointment to find the opticians had been cleared out of everything. Even saw a for sale sign up. It was open the week before. No word saying they were closing down. So now I will need to find a new opticians. In my next town, there is a specs avers and a boots optician but I refuse to use these two. I will need to find somewhere else and I prefer to use a small independent optician/family run one. I know these tend to be more expensive but I personally find these to be more though and more friendly

S

Sean01

It is possible that differing degrees or types of diabetes ,may require more frequent testing (I don't know.) BUT, I get my eyes done once a year by the NHS (Jan time) and I get a free one done annually via Boots - that's also where I paid a ridiculous sum of money for my two pairs of glasses - they have memory metal - trust me.. I'm that clumsy - I need memory metal.

Try other high street opticians.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible that differing degrees or types of diabetes ,may require more frequent testing (I don't know.) BUT, I get my eyes done once a year by the NHS (Jan time) and I get a free one done annually via Boots - that's also where I paid a ridiculous sum of money for my two pairs of glasses - they have memory metal - trust me.. I'm that clumsy - I need memory metal.

We all get the NHS annual retinal screening, T2s and T1s. This is staying the same. It is normal eye sight tests that have changed. We used to get one free one each year. Now it is every 2 years.

Reactions: coxymk2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do the memory metal glasses help you remember where you left them?

Reactions: Sean01

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all get the NHS annual retinal screening, T2s and T1s. This is staying the same. It is normal eye sight tests that have changed. We used to get one free one each year. Now it is every 2 years.
I went to Specsavers this afternoon, so I asked about the frequency of free eye tests for diabetics. The optician said that it is now 2 years but they can say 1 year at their discretion if they think your eyesight is changing rapidly or you have other eyesight problems which justify it.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to Specsavers this afternoon, so I asked about the frequency of free eye tests for diabetics. The optician said that it is now 2 years but they can say 1 year at their discretion if they think your eyesight is changing rapidly or you have other eyesight problems which justify it.
Hadn't heard of that.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to be clear, I was talking about the normal eye test for glasses not the retinopathy scan.

ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
My experience of Specsavers is that they want you in each year to flog you some new glasses! Once cost me £300 for their £99 for two deal. Mugged! These days if Specsavers tell me it's raining, I have to look outside!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
My experience of Specsavers is that they want you in each year to flog you some new glasses! Once cost me £300 for their £99 for two deal. Mugged! These days if Specsavers tell me it's raining, I have to look outside!
..... with your new glasses on?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Specsavers are usually a good bet because they give free eye tests from time to time anyway.

So far I have had no problems getting an annual eye test with my local independent optician but we shall see. I've always had free eye tests because my mother had glaucoma. However I don't know if that has gone out to 2 years as well.

spicer81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are they saying that applies to the over 60's as well who were advised to have yearly tests and not just diabetics. I have never heard it said that diabetics should have a routine annual eye test only a annual retinal scan. I just had a reminder from my optician that my annual eye test is due
I am 81, 82 in November, I have an annual retinal scan, but was told this is not a substitute for an eye test and I should have an annual eye test, Specsavers however say that because I have this scan I now have an eye test every two years which doesn't right to me. I have tried to get clarification from the NHS but have had no luck.

Reactions: coxymk2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 81, 82 in November, I have an annual retinal scan, but was told this is not a substitute for an eye test and I should have an annual eye test, Specsavers however say that because I have this scan I now have an eye test every two years which doesn't right to me. I have tried to get clarification from the NHS but have had no luck.

I'm afraid the eye sight test is now 2 years for everyone unless they have specific eye problems that warrant annual testing. This is a directive from the NHS. The retinal eye scan is still annual.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid the eye sight test is now 2 years for everyone unless they have specific eye problems that warrant annual testing. This is a directive from the NHS. The retinal eye scan is still annual.
Got the notification from my opticians that I was due for my annual eye test which I have had ever since I became a pensioner and I went for it this week. My eye sight had hardly changed from last year and I do not wear glasses all the time only for TV computer reading and needlework and my eye health she said was excellent but she still said they would see me again in a year
Maybe it is left to individual opticians how often they see people for eye tests

Last edited: