Eye Treatment: Laser v Injections

Alona

Hi,

My retinopathy was classed as stable in 2015 but within weeks I was diagnosed as having high eye pressure and put on drops for life.
Later that year I saw a spot in my eye so went to A&E and weeks later had laser for something called maculopathy.
At my check up last November I was told 'it's only a small,tiny bit of fluid so don't worry' and was told i'd been seen in 16 weeks instead of the usual 12.

At last month's check up I was told I needed treatment as 2015's laser hadn't worked.
I was offered injections but declined as the thought has always made me feel queasy. I ended up agreeing to more laser but reminded the doctor that I had developed a scotoma last time and was worried about repeating treatment that hadn't worked.

Does anyone have personal experience of injection v laser? I think I have made the wrong decision and reading the usual sites like nhs,diabetic retinopathy,moorefeilds and so on isn't enough.

Dark Horse

This page gives a lot of useful information about laser and intravitreal injections for maculopathy:-http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/diabetic_maculopathy.html

The Royal College of Ophthalmologists Diabetic Retinpathy Guidelines (2012) say about diabetic macular oedema:-
We have entered a new era with regard to the management of DMO where treatment decisions are going to be based on OCT scans. Until recently, focal and focal/grid laser photocoagulation have been the mainstay of treatment and the benchmark to which all treatments for DMO were evaluated. However, there is growing evidence that intravitreal VEGF inhibitors (with or without combination with laser photocoagulation) provide better visual outcome with a potential to improve visual acuity. Hence, anti-VEGF injections are considered the new gold standard of therapy for eyes with centre-involving macular oedema and reduced vision
https://www.rcophth.ac.uk/wp-conten...-DR-GUIDELINES-DEC-2012-updated-July-2013.pdf
You can ask your ophthalmologist to discuss the various treatments with you and the benefits and risks involved then let them know if you wish to change your mind about injections.

Reactions: Alona

Alona

I was a member years ago but it looks like people have moved on or improved (I hope) so those with personal experience are thin on the ground.

I appreciate your reply. Thank you

Pauntiep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother had laser and it ruined her sight. I would definitely prefer injections

Alona

^ I am sorry your mum's sight worsened. I have already had laser ;you've few options but I think doctors are more precise now although I was told last month that a senior practitioner would laser me this time which set some alarm bells off about 2015 .
Better treatments will be developed in years to come as laser does have its negatives although mine were minimal . The lens did fall out during my first session though which was typically me.. I've already decided to call up and ask to change to an injection once the Easter break is over (I tried last week but no one answered) . I will just have to watch some more videos and hope I can keep my eye open for long enough and not vomit on the practitioner .

Last edited:

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had several laser treatments and then the injections - have just had the 3rd. All treatment just in one eye, the other is fine. I was only in the treatment room for about 10 minutes and it was fine having the injections. Lots of eye drops and cleaning the eye area and then the injection takes less than a second. No pain at all just a very, very light pressure. Has worked well for me. I know it is one of those squeamish things but I found it to be ok.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I THINK I've had 4 injections into the eyes between 2010-2012. Having had a lot of ops I've rather lost count.

It's not as bad as it seems. I didn't experience any pain as such just a very light scratch.

Never had any problems with laser. Indeed, it probably saved a lot of sight for me