Fake hypos and highs?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. Yesterday I felt a hypo coming on, I was all giddy, shaking and felt like a typical hypo. Checked my sugars and it was 18! Wow.
Today I felt like my blood sugar was really high. Bad mood, really thirsty and tired. It was 4.2. This ever happened to anyone else?
(My bloods are currently all over the place as I have a kidney infection)

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Sounds like that kidney infection is wreaking havoc.. hope you get well soon.
Had hypo feeling this morning too! Woke with lvls of 8.2.. had porridge for breakfast. 3hrs later feeling light headed weak and sickly.. tested at 6.5 dunno why.. still well within safe readings.

Reactions: noblehead

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Chloesnavy To be honest it can sometimes be easy to confuse the two as both can make you feel quite unwell, I woke yesterday and felt my heart racing which is what I normally feel when i'm hypo but when I tested I was high. Keep testing hun and take care of yourself, it will hopefully pass soon.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloesnavy , definitely happens to me sometimes! Plus, at the moment I have a UTI, which is wreaking havoc with my sugars, and since starting the antibiotics I was convinced I was low last night, and again this morning. A quick Libre swipe revealed that I was not low - 17.4!!! It also happened to me a lot at first when they changed the dose of my antidepressants.

Look after yourself, get well soon!

Reactions: KezG and noblehead

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloesnavy . Definitely know how annoying it is to have false hypo symptoms.
Generally happens when I'm at work, feel all the hypo symptoms, check my sugars and the're in the teens.
Most annoying thing is, at that moment before I know where my sugars are I'm looking forward to an unscheduled snack only to be disappointed.
Hope your kidney infection clears asap as it probably isn't helping matters.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It never happened to me as a child but as an adult I have really noticed it :( Just shows the importance of testing. The symptom of thirst has totally flipped. I'd need to be up in the late 20s to feel thirsty over a high now but get it all the time when lo. Very irritating.

jackybob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
His is a thread that I am really interested in . I have a constant thirst and check my bloods 6,7,8 times a day.
This morning checked again I was at 1.6 ! And really thirsty.

Can't understand this thirst at all , I have had type 1 over 50 years and really can't remember having these symptoms before.
Bad enough dealing with it all and then this comes along .

Reactions: ontario_ogirl

tesoro007

Hello @Chloesnavy

Unfortunately, have these "false" symptoms all too often lately as I've entered the menopausal years :) It may be worthwhile talking to your Diabetes nurse/doctor who'll be able to advise. As you're taking antibiotics for a kidney infection, it could well be the combination of these medicines that is causing the symptoms. You're doing the right thing by checking though.

Hope you feel better soon!
Tesoro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too much sun
Hello. Yesterday I felt a hypo coming on, I was all giddy, shaking and felt like a typical hypo. Checked my sugars and it was 18! Wow.
Today I felt like my blood sugar was really high. Bad mood, really thirsty and tired. It was 4.2. This ever happened to anyone else?
Hi, dear, I understand what you must be going through. I used to get these deceptive readings too. Many times before I am about to check my blood, I would have already prepared a snack ! So you can imagine my disappointment when I have to shove away my snack, Haha. I will opt for drinking some luke warm water and maybe have a mini jab of insulin (I am a T2) depending on my sugar level. My Diabetic Nurse had taught me to inject 3 units insulin to lower 1.......I might be having a high of 18, I take a jab of 3 units fast acting insulin to lower my blood sugar to about 9. I then do a bit of exercising on the spot......it helps. But best to consult your doctor about self administration. Take care !

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am having the same problem,felling very low ,yet when I test its over 8 on the meter. So I seem to be getting "false" hypo warning and after the last 55 years as a type1 this is the first time

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So its not just me then. I am the same even after 35 years. I hate busy places like shopping centres and find myself usually feeling LOW when I am there but a quick check reveals me to be fine

I also find if I am ever out and about and have forgotten to take my tester with me, i start to think, oh do I feel LOW. and before I know it I have convinced myself that I must be low and go into full panic mode. Only to find when I get back to my meter that I have either fine or high, in most instances

I have found this to be the case perhaps only in last 10/12 years or so ever since I started testing my bloods. Before that I do not recall ever feeling these symptoms. Must be the thought of having the blood meter, maybe using this as a safety blanket sort of thing

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
It's probably the infection scrambling the signals. I have occasions where I felt my glucose levels were high, so I had a bolus injection (without testing.....) and found myself falling into a severe hypo.

Jusrme

Resurrected an old thread.
Today had my first false hypo ever in nearly 30 years as a type 1
Felt just like a proper hypo, checked with meter and it's 5.0 ?????
I had just returned from a fairly long walk so can only assume a quite quick drop in blood glucose caused this.
I normally get shaky hands & palpitations at 2.8, so this was new too me. Also in all those years I had never come across the term false hypo & also never realised such a thing existed, hence my Google search & ending up here only to find it's a relatively common occurrence & well know about.
It just goes to show that even long standing diabetics still have things to learn.
Maybe my sugar levels have been creeping up a little & my new norm for hypo symptoms is 5.0
I will have to start a bit more closer monitoring & get back on the straight & borrow.
Many thanks