Fake questionnaire

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You skipped over getting product approval before being allowed to market it.

You can't make medical claims for a thing without the science and tests to back them up.

It isn't the same as designing and building a consumer gadget.

As already mentioned by others, if it is not guaranteed safe and reliable then people won't buy it.

Consider your marketing model; are you selling a one off purchase or some kind of subscription service?

NaziaB

You skipped over getting product approval before being allowed to market it.

You can't make medical claims for a thing without the science and tests to back them up.

It isn't the same as designing and building a consumer gadget.

As already mentioned by others, if it is not guaranteed safe and reliable then people won't buy it.

Consider your marketing model; are you selling a one off purchase or some kind of subscription service?

Hi there! The diabetic wristband isn't a "real" thing. It is an idea that I am supposed to develop as part of a project for university. The proposal will be in written form only with nothing actually being built. I have already done/am doing the research and this post "target market" is just one of the sections for my essay.

Thank you for your response! :)

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember that if it's a business proposal it the consumables (patches, sensors, transmitters etc) that make you money. Or perhaps you could charge a subscription to the cloud or app. Just a thought.

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok guys, how does SUGABAND sound as a name for the wristband? Any other suggestions?:shy:

So far I have come up with names such as:

- Sugaband
- Glucomonitor
- Electroband (but this one seems to sounds scary, I don't think the name is feasible)

Please can I get more suggestions. Anything crazy and bizarre is also pretty much accepted!

Thank you in advance for your responses! :)
I like the name SugarBand... or maybe LifeBand? - but I guess that doesn't make it so clear that it's for diabetes.

I see that some other posters have mentioned the Glucowatch... The key problem with the reverse iontophoresis
approach was lack of accuracy and irritation of the skin it caused. Not to say it couldn't be done with this though.

Alternative methods are using institial fluid like the Freestyle libre or CGMs, or using infrared like some researchers in MIT are trying.
Just food for thought :)

NaziaB

Hi guys, Nazia here!

Ok, so I have this new diabetic wristband (the one I won't be building see... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/target-market-for-new-wristband-marketing.119004/)

Trial stage

My question is, if I was to do a trial on this wristband (not a "real" trial) what kind of things would stop you from trialing this wristband?

I am looking for ethical problems or literally ANY kind of problem at all which would stop someone from checking out what this product is in terms of trialing it?

What kind of health and safety issues would people have with the diabetic wristband?

Also, what would stop you from buying this product if it was to come out in the market?

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would trial it
I would only buy it if the cost were acceptable and if it were at least as accurate as standard meters or other CGMs.

Reactions: NaziaB

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I would buy it if it was a reasonable price. Although if it was made of metal (strap/case) I wouldn't be able to wear because of skin allergies

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No probs doing a trial.

Purchase wise it has to
A) be reasonably priced
B) look ok, ( I already wear a libre and a pump, how much other stuff do I have to wear to manage being T1 kinda thing.)
C) not confuse a hypo with a peri menopausal night sweat.
D) be accurate

Hope that's constructive and not too demanding!

NaziaB

Hi guys, Nazia here!

I have a questionnaire here that doesn't need filling out. I just wanted you guys to read it and see if you like it. I am doing a business proposal based on diabetes and this questionnaire will be part of that assignment.

I would like to know:

- What is wrong with the questionnaire?
- If there are any questions that make you feel uncomfortable
- What I should get rid of/What I should add?

Thank you in advance for your responses. :)

Update: The document has been removed. These are the questions:

What is your gender?
Male Female

What is your age?

How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes? What type of diabetes do you have? I.e. type 1 or 2

Do you use a blood sugar monitor?

Do you agree with this statement? "I do not mind using the finger-prick method to get blood to check my blood sugar levels"
Agree
Neither agree or disagree
Disagree

Do you agree with this statement? "I am willing to pay a price for a device that does not require me to me to prick my finger for blood"
Agree
Neither agree or disagree
Disagree

For financial reasons, if possible please state how much you would pay and how much you are prepared to pay for the device. Or would you prefer it if the device was provided by your doctor? How much do you pay weekly/monthly

Please state how you feel about the current blood sugar meter? I.e. being "on show" outside of home

What are you looking for when you buy your blood sugar meter?
Size, Design, Non-invasive, Convenient, Data storage

How do you feel about a device that you can wear around your wrist that for the onlooker would not look like a medical device?

What kind of features would you want this device to have?

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes the question of how much I would possibly pay for blood measure machine I think is a way to find out how to earn as much on diabetics as possible and that is anoying

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @NaziaB - just so you're aware, Type 1s get glucose testing machines for free through the NHS, so you'd find that very few would actually pay to get one that looked especially non-medical (the participants in any social media are not representative of the general Type 1 diabetes population, sadly).

I'm not really clear on the purpose of your questionnaire. Are you asking people whether they'd like a wristband based glucose meter system, or are you trying to get a broader view of what people want in relation to glucose monitoring for your research? At the moment, the questions are a bit of a mix.

When constructing a survey like this it's often helpful to ask more open questions with multiple choice answers based on research you've already done, and include an "other" option that allows you to capture anything you've not thought of.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What consumables would it require, how much would they be the the NHS or personally?
Buy or giveaway of the meter doesn't make too much difference. It's the running costs that really matter.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi NaziaB Im a T2 and have never bought a meter although I have received many, many free ones given out by the companies who make them along with a trial pack of test strips usually 10 but occasionally 25, so I would pay zero for a new meter.

Ive never particularly minded testing my bg levels even when I was on MDI insulin and testing 6 or 7 times a day, it only takes a few seconds.

Im happy with my current meter which I dont have a problem with 'out of the house' and as I dont wear any jewellery of any kind, ever, even a watch any more as I have a phone that tells me the time so no, I would not want to wear anything on my wrist whatever it looked like.

Sorry but you did ask :)

@tim2000s why was the questionnaire removed? Lots of other members have posted them in the past without problems and this member unlike most who post questionnaires has posted over 50 times previously, seems a bit OTT to me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always find the age and gender questions pointless @NaziaB

I'd also say that it would be better to offer a list of possible features and allow respondents to tick up to 5 or whatever.

It would also be sensible to have some information about the size of the proposed wristband and how it works.

As this would be a medical,device, I would also be looking for statistics about accuracy.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those who are fortunate enough to have lived parts of their life "free" from the permanently overwhelming burden of electronics that we now endure...

Oh, and when I say older generation - I mean the ones who get cramp in their finger when scrolling to find their DOB on a website:)
So true.....