Fake Roast potato

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know how I can make a low carb fake Roast Potato, My Sunday Roast is missing something and also is there a low carb gravy out there ?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Does anyone know how I can make a low carb fake Roast Potato, My Sunday Roast is missing something and also is there a low carb gravy out there ?
I sometimes use Celariac which tastes in between a sweet potato and a parsnip when roasted. This seems to add the kind of solid food that maybe you want

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower rice for the potato and I make a good gravy with mushrooms as a base. Then broth, garlic, sage, oregano and butter or olive oil. Onions if desired. Garlic and onion powder/ salt work as well as the real thing

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roast turnip or cauli.

Low-carb gravy is easy. Take meat out of pan. Put pan on heat. Pour in liquid of choice (water, wheat free stock cube, wine) so the pan sizzles and the liquid immediately bubbles. It deglazes the pan of all the lovely burnt bits which is where the taste comes from. Ad anything you want to it, I used to put in the beef bits or chicken skin, herbs, salt, whatever you want and then leave it to simmer until it reduces. If you want a glaze, put a big knob of butter in at the end. If you want more gravy (reducing it concentrates the flavour but gives you less) thicken it with a bit of arrowroot or cornflower but be mindful off the carb rise.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do exactly as @wiflib does except I melt a tub of flavored cream cheese, usually garlic and herb, into the liquid to thicken it. Very tasty and no grains or extra carbs.

Reactions: Billy7764
D

Deleted member 308541

That's cool, I wonder if there is a UK version.
I would not have a clue Billy, the growers are flat out keeping up with supply in Australia.

Whether they grow them in the UK will be one of life's mysteries till they appear on the shelf's.

Reactions: Grannypat

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I do exactly as @wiflib does except I melt a tub of flavored cream cheese, usually garlic and herb, into the liquid to thicken it. Very tasty and no grains or extra carbs.
I find tomato puree is a good thickener also.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me there is no substitute for a real roast potato so when I have a roast dinner occasionally that's what they have to be