Falling apart at the seams

samsmeat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I had a prolapsed L4/5 disc in 2008 could really walk for 6 months, right leg lost sensation, muscle and poor reflexes so had surgery. Surgeon said sciatic nerve had been crushed so it took a long time to free up. Although my mobility improved and pain was much better it only lasted approx. 1 year before things went downhill again. Spent two years back and forth to Dr to be told it was mechanical back pain until finally pain management arranged an MRI. result was further prolapse and L4/5, bulge L3/4, bulge L5/S1, nerve compression and arthritis. Since then I have had a spinal cord stimulator fitted (electrodes around spinal cord, machine in abdomen - works like a tens but all inside and interrupts pain message before it gets to brain so instead of continual sciatic I have a pleasant pins and needles in my legs all the time and can turn intensity up/down depending on pain level. Six months ago I was having a lot of pins n needles in my hand, pain in my neck and top of spine. Neurosurgeon initially though it was a disc in neck but no such luck instead I have arthritis all he way up my spine to my neck and my spine has lost its natural curve so nothing they can do. Stimulator helps for nerve pain in legs, but have to rely on a multitude of pain meds for back pain. I have struggled with restless legs syndrome since getting the stimulator so cannot sleep without meds for that.
Went to GP for menopause symptoms (hot flushes), dr decided to check thyroid which is fine but comes back with type two diabetes (HbAc1 67), high cholesterol (7.1) and high liver enzymes (not sure what they were but dr happier as I managed to get them down).
Had a question before I started waffling...ha ha.
Concerned about peripheral neuropathy when I already have existing nerve damage. maybe pins and needles in hands was linked to diabetes.
Trying to change diet but cannot do much in the way of exercise.
Take loads of meds and not sure if they affect sugars.
got a sensitive stomach - had gall bladder out in 2011 dr said I could eat what I liked after - some foods I cannot tolerate - before diabetes diagnosis had fish n chips from chippy - looked like I was 20 months pregnant for about three days...can eat something one week and next week I end up really bloated and in pain. Being bloated is so uncomfortable as pushes against spinal cord machine.
Feeling like I cannot win at the minute....fighting hard as trying to complete a masters and on placement in a really fast paced team. Uni were advised to make reasonable adjustments due to disability but they didn't bother so an hrs drive there and back (cannot use stimulator when driving) and lots of driving within the role. Feeling tired, headaches and stressed which I do not think will be helping numbers. Not sure where to start and what to do first.

Sorry I have waffled a lot....should probably have wrote a few different threads

Any tips on managing multiple issues would be good

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am so sorry that you are going through so much at the moment. I have two other conditions as well as T2 and I am in the same boat re excercise as my mobility is very poor. I can sympathise a little as I have sacral sciatica and I know just how painful it can be. I wish I could give you advice on whether the pain meds have any impact on bg but we are all different and react differently to drugs. All I can do is wish you well on your uni course and hope your symptoms settles down soon. All the best, lass.

Reactions: samsmeat

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @samsmeat

The challenge is creating the time to prepare and eat the healthiest diet you can - (the low carb high healthy fat diet is anti-inflammatory). Granted, not always possible, particularly when demands on our time are maxed out. Hoping you get there eventually. Coming here is a good start. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have bulging discs and scatica too.
I'm losing weight on low carb, low fat diet. Very little mobility too.
Awaiting bariatric surgery.
I'm 20st.
Low carb keeps insulin resistance down. So does metformin.

Pain interfers with bgs.
Good pain management first is your priority.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are going through so much. Concerning your master if

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The university have a duty of care to you. There should be a pastrol team you can discuss all this with.

Reactions: VioletViolet

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use the phrase you are negligent in your duty of care to me and things should change

Reactions: VioletViolet