Fasting Blood sugar of 104mg/dl

stan_aztig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a single reading of 12 hour fasting blood sugar of 104mg/dl. My fbs is always normal these past years. Also my LDL is also high. im so frustrated and depressed because I'm only 22yrs old and i already have this health problems. I dont know what to do. Dont know where to start. I feel like this is the end for me. Is there anything i could do to make my FBS normal again?is it certain i will develope type 2 DM?this are the question in my mind. I am lost. Please Help me.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
That is not a particularly high reading.... You certainly wouldn't be suspected of having Diabetes with that reading, by your Doc.
What is your HDL level like?
You are certainly not on a downward decent yet so please do not worry so much... do you fret a lot? about allsorts of things?

Reactions: 2 people

stan_aztig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, just this time i feel so depressed. thank you for your reply. my HDL is high like 54 or something. I started to exercise and go on a diet.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
No, just this time i feel so depressed. thank you for your reply. my HDL is high like 54 or something. I started to exercise and go on a diet.
HDL is the Happy chol. and LDL is the Bad cholesterol. Each have a recommended range...But as with many things in life and the body there can be a counterbalance between the two. Don't worry about them. Read up about the LCHF diet. You will find many many threads on this forum about it. It is a Low Carb High Fat diet. Many forum members are following it and are finding that their Blood Glucose levels are reducing AND their cholesterol levels too. Paradoxically fat is not as harmful to the body as once thought, just as carbs are not the only form of fuel to the body. ALSO on LCHF people are losing the weight that they want to shed.
Have a read about it and ask any Q you might have... :bookworm:

Reactions: 2 people

Kwube

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a single reading of 12 hour fasting blood sugar of 104mg/dl. My fbs is always normal these past years. Also my LDL is also high. im so frustrated and depressed because I'm only 22yrs old and i already have this health problems. I dont know what to do. Dont know where to start. I feel like this is the end for me. Is there anything i could do to make my FBS normal again?is it certain i will develope type 2 DM?this are the question in my mind. I am lost. Please Help me.
Visit your Doctor for further test, meanwhile reduce both your sugar and carbs intake and test at least 2 hours after eating to see what the readings are this will help you know what to eat. It is definitely not the end of the world. I felt lost too but I am not doing badly now.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
According to
https://www.virginiamason.org/body.cfm?id=511
(other sites may vary)

"
Normal Blood Sugars
  • A normal fasting (no food for eight hours) blood sugar level is between 70 and 99 mg/dL
  • A normal blood sugar level two hours after eating is less than 140 mg/dL
Diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

1. Two consecutive fasting blood glucose tests that are equal to or greater than 126 mg/dL
  2. Any random blood glucose that is greater than 200 mg/dL
  3. An A1c test that is equal to or greater than 6.5 percent. A1c is an easy blood test that gives a three month average of blood sugars
  4. A two-hour oral glucose tolerance test with any value over 200 mg/dL
Sometimes you may have symptoms of fatigue, excessive urination or thirst, or unplanned weight loss. However, often people have no symptoms of high blood glucose and find a diabetes diagnosis surprising.

Pre-diabetes
My doctor says I have pre-diabetes. What is that?

• You are at high risk of developing diabetes. You can prevent or delay diabetes by increasing physical activity, eating healthful foods, and maintaining or losing weight
  • Pre-diabetes is also called impaired fasting glucose (IFG)
Pre-diabetes is diagnosed by any one of the following:

• A fasting blood glucose in between 100-125 mg/dL
  • An A1c between 5.7 - 6.4 percent
  • Any value between 140 mg/dL and 199 mg/dL during a two-hour 75g oral glucose tolerance test
"

According to this you are just creeping into the pre-diabetes range but I would suggest that you need more than one test to be certain.

Interested as to why you are checking your fasting BG on a regular basis; presumably you have some other indications that you might be at risk?

If you are really concerned, talk to your doctor who may offer an HbA1c test which will show how you are doing over a longer period.

HTH

LGC