Fasting For Type 2's

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Finsky

I did a 36 hour wet fast and finished yesterday. I am starting another 36 hour fast as of this morning. I've got to buy some new batteries for my meter and in a few days I'll know how my FBGs will be.. Got to test on a day when I've eaten the night before..
Oh yes..lots of testing while fasting. My fingers are fine normally but I have to say are slightly tender after this week's testing....mince meat comes to my mind.
I'm going back to LCHF eating now..normalizing things with added 14-16 h IF..and then I start experimenting with 24 h fasting few times a week and it effects. I think I better give myself first couple of days to get used to solids in general and then start the usual routine.
Btw..do you feel 'normal' during 36 h fast? When I do my longer sessions first day is 'normal' and in second day my body start saying 'helloooo? any food about?'..and I feel little out of normal, maybe slightly cold..it is not until end of the second day I really have to put some will power to it and then it start easing in the third day.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes..lots of testing while fasting. My fingers are fine normally but I have to say are slightly tender after this week's testing....mince meat comes to my mind.
I'm going back to LCHF eating now..normalizing things with added 14-16 h IF..and then I start experimenting with 24 h fasting few times a week and it effects. I think I better give myself first couple of days to get used to solids in general and then start the usual routine.
Btw..do you feel 'normal' during 36 h fast? When I do my longer sessions first day is 'normal' and in second day my body start saying 'helloooo? any food about?'..and I feel little out of normal, maybe slightly cold..it is not until end of the second day I really have to put some will power to it and then it start easing in the third day.

So I start with finishing an evening meal. Next morning I am on coffee with thick whipping cream, no milks or 1/2 & 1/2. Lunch becomes thin soups / broths and coffee max about 4-500 cals during the entire next day . That night I usually don't exercise if I am fasting, (although I did cycle, a slow 20 mile jaunt, once) I take a shower, & into bed.

I then continue on the fast next morning until I sense I can't continue. I don't want to do more than 36 hours for now but I've done 66 hours in the past. I can sense a true light at the end of my tunnel for improving my health. I find it easier if I am conscientiously only fasting 36-42 hours tomorrow morning..

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferG

I'm a Fung Fan as well. I started off with IF using 5:2 (the Fast Diet). I then found a mention about Dr Fung by Michael Mosley so over a period of three days I read all his archive posts on his blog before finding out about his on-line lectures. Anyway, I now use a combination of everything; I work 12 hour nights - four on, four off so I have a weird 8 day week. It works out best for me to fast twice a week - one is a 24 hour fast (6pm to 6pm) and the other is from 8pm until 6pm the following day - so 14 hours. The rest of the time I eat a low carb/medium fat diet. I also skip breakfast on all non-work days and I've cut out one of my meals at work. I think the thing Dr Fung has taught me is not to be afraid of feeling hungry. It does, as he says, come in waves and a cup of black decaff, herbal tea or bottle of mineral water eases it.

I started eating this way about two months ago after years of attempting to lose weigh with a 'healthy' low fat diet. I think I am getting there with beating the insulin resistance. I still take 2 x metformin and 1 x sitagliptin but have managed to stop injecting insulin completely during this last week having, at my highest, been injecting 90 units of long acting and around 40-50 untils of fast acting each day. I have managed to keep my fasting bg to 5.4 or under for the last two weeks. I do get an occasional spike, usually when I'm at work - for instance I had one last week at 8.1 when I pigged out on a large bowl of cherries. On the whole fasting has helped me get rid of quite a few niggling health issues which the doctor had been treating individually, I now realise that they must all have been related to the diabetes and so I'm feeling so much better. I didn't start off thinking about weight - I was more concerned to get rid of the insulin resistance - so the 1st 9lbs I've lost is an added bonus.

This is impressive! I realize it's 48 weeks old, but I am wondering how you've been doing since then? Are you still intermittent fasting and eating LCHF? I've been doing LCHF and 18:6 IF with DR. Fung's book. I just got Mosley's book the other day and read it all in one day.. Looking forward to Mediterranean diet.. perhaps Fast 800 23:1 for 8 weeks.

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Can someone answer a question please from someone just starting fasting, does bg's go up when you first begin? Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone answer a question please from someone just starting fasting, does bg's go up when you first begin? Thanks
I think it's quite likely - your liver is probably completely confused and dumping glucose. Probably takes a while to adapt.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, having a good attempt at it.
I'm sure I have seen a graph in "The ObesityCode" that shows a slight rise in blood sugars before a large drop when you start fasting but can't find it as I only have the book on a kindle so can't glance through it. What kind of rise are you talking about?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I have seen a graph in "The ObesityCode" that shows a slight rise in blood sugars before a large drop when you start fasting but can't find it as I only have the book on a kindle so can't glance through it. What kind of rise are you talking about?

Yes, the graph is also in his Fasting series on his Intermittent Fasting blog.
There is a slight bg rise as the liver dumps glycogen and empties its reserves.
At that point ketones rise a little to replace the glucose fuel, and the real fat burning begins.
The metabolism actually increases a little at this point too.
None of that 'starvation mode' you get on reduced calorie diets.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the graph is also in his Fasting series on his Intermittent Fasting blog.
There is a slight bg rise as the liver dumps glycogen and empties its reserves.
At that point ketones rise a little to replace the glucose fuel, and the real fat burning begins.
The metabolism actually increases a little at this point too.
None of that 'starvation mode' you get on reduced calorie diets.
Thanks I know it was there somewhere.. next time i'll buy the physical book!

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Indeed it does, fir the reasons others have stated, but the impact of IF, certainly fir me has been to stabilise my BG enabling me to retain an A1C consistently in the non-diabetic range when I originally started with 59. IF is part and parcel of my lifestyle and it feels great.

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
I'm interested in this, but the above links don't seem to provide very much specific info as to how this fasting is done. Does anyone have any specific information regarding this fasting. What sort of duration and frequency? What is or is not consumed during fasting etc.
Look up "Intermittent Fasting For Beginners - Diet Doctor".This is linked to Dr Fung and other LCHF lecturers. Very easy to understand and a wealth of information.:)

BoggyBimbleJr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before I was diagnosed with T2 and had a high carb diet, a 36 hour fast was agony and even a 24 hour fast (6pm to 6pm) was hard, though I usually overdid it a bit after the fast by eating about 1800 calories to make the hunger go away. Since being diagnosed and going on a very low carbohydrate high fat diet I find that not only am I doing a 23 hour fast every day (23:1) but that it is very easy and I don't feel or get hungry at any time during the day. I don't take any meds yet and I'm doing the diet to make sure I hopefully never have to.

Next week, from Monday, I am intending to do a five day fast and see how I go. This is something that I have been meaning to have a go at since reading Jason Fung's book on Fasting but before the LCHF diet I wasn't able to do successfully (I never managed more that about 48 hours), so hopefully it should be a lot easier this time as I will effectively only be missing out one meal a day.

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next week, from Monday, I am intending to do a five day fast and see how I go. This is something that I have been meaning to have a go at since reading Jason Fung's book on Fasting but before the LCHF diet I wasn't able to do successfully (I never managed more that about 48 hours), so hopefully it should be a lot easier this time as I will effectively only be missing out one meal a day.

You may also find Dr Valter Longo's views on Fasting cycles to regenerate our immune system and cells insightful. The refeeding process is just as important as the fasting...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The final episode in the long HSPCA vs Prof Tim Noakes - at least until the next sitting/decision, I guess:

Lil'Edgy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm interested in this, but the above links don't seem to provide very much specific info as to how this fasting is done. Does anyone have any specific information regarding this fasting. What sort of duration and frequency? What is or is not consumed during fasting etc.

I changed dramatically the way I fast based on googling autopagy and how it works and how long it takes for it to kick in. If it seems that autophagy complicates fasting, for me anyway, it refined fasting to what I want my fasting to accomplish. It made it simpler. I do two 36 hour near zero calories a week (Sunday and Wednesday) with either hard cardio or weight lifting most other days. I want to caution anyone with my own personal experience. There may be an all or nothing situation like me for a few people. What I mean is the HUGE difference in my daily blood sugars and hba1c didn't fully manifest itself until I went from 34 to 33 inch waist and lost the last 10 lbs from 160 to 15o lbs. Ultimately I went from about 220 lbs to 160 which was really good but 160 to 150 was quite dramatic. It really doesn't sound like much but I think there is a lot of truth regarding adipose fat "tolerance". Some can tolerate some adipose fat and some like myself can't tolerate much of any at all and have to get really thin to get rid of the "critical mass". So I committed myself to full speed ahead and not to stop till I arrive at the really proper waist measurements which has been my top priority and only then could I say Eureka...it worked!