Fasting-Mimicking Diet Promotes Ngn3-Driven β-Cell Regeneration to Reverse Diabetes

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest promising study on Beta Cells regeneration by Dr Valter Longo
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39070183
16825842_1889137324664058_7772475370572559695_o.png

Highlights

•Fasting mimicking diet induces prenatal-development gene expression in adult pancreas
•FMD promotes Ngn3 expression to generate insulin-producing β cells
•Cycles of FMD reverse β-cell failure and rescue mice from T1D and T2D
•Inhibition of PKA or mTOR promotes Ngn3-driven β-cell regeneration in human T1D islets
In this study, we discovered that a low-protein and low-sugar fasting mimicking diet (FMD) causes a temporary reduction in β-cell number followed by its return to normal levels after re-feeding, suggesting an in vivo lineage reprogramming. We show that the severe hyperglycemia and insulinemia in both the late-stage Leprdb/db T2 and the STZ-treated T1 mouse diabetes models were associated with severe β-cell deficiency in pancreatic islets. Six to eight cycles of the FMD and re-feeding were required to restore the β-cell mass and insulin secretion function and to return the 6-hr-fasting blood glucose to nearly normal levels.
http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(17)30130-7

PDF version
http://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(17)30130-7.pdf

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read many studies that a low cal diet, especially low carb and moderate protein Mimick fasting. That's pretty much the diet I eat. Around 1000 Cals, all nutrient dense. Of course I'm type one now so not going to restore my pancreas but allows very small doses of insulin. Weight and muscles holding for years.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read many studies that a low cal diet, especially low carb and moderate protein Mimick fasting. That's pretty much the diet I eat. Around 1000 Cals, all nutrient dense. Of course I'm type one now so not going to restore my pancreas but allows very small doses of insulin. Weight and muscles holding for years.

The difference in what Dr Valter Longo propose is the cycling of the Fasting Cycle. A continuous low calorie/low carb diet does not promote cells regeneration. There needs to be a fast/feed cycle...that is what makes this study promising...hopefully it can be replicated.
We attempted to reverse these late-stage T2D phenotypes by treating 12-week-old mice (14 days after the hyperglycemia stabilized, baseline) with weekly cycles of the 4-day FMD (Figure 1A). FMD cycles caused a major reduction and return to nearly normal levels of blood glucose in db/db mice by day 60 (Figure 1B). The FMD cycles also reversed the decline in insulin secretion at day 30 and improved plasma insulin levels at day 90 (Figure 1C).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as a type one that produces measly amounts of insulin it won't reverse me however, when very strict low carb, low protein and mostly plant fats like avocado I will say I am much more insulin sensitive. I concur with the low saturated fat !!! They make me IR. NO dairy or fatty meats or I require much ,ore I sulin at the time of food as well as the next day. Overeating protein beyond my needs as well and of course carbs!!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a type one that produces measly amounts of insulin it won't reverse me however, when very strict low carb, low protein and mostly plant fats like avocado I will say I am much more insulin sensitive. I concur with the low saturated fat !!! They make me IR. NO dairy or fatty meats or I require much ,ore I sulin at the time of food as well as the next day. Overeating protein beyond my needs as well and of course carbs!!

The study suggest it may work for T1D
•Inhibition of PKA or mTOR promotes Ngn3-driven β-cell regeneration in human T1D islets

Had posted a separate thread.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...cell-regeneration-to-reverse-diabetes.116847/

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The study suggest it may work for T1D

Had posted a separate thread.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fasting-mimicking-diet-promotes-ngn3-driven-β-cell-regeneration-to-reverse-diabetes.116847/
Too scientific for me but I do inhibit the mTor pathway by keeping my protein at the right amount and no higher nor more than 21g per meal. The mTor pathway is the pathway to disease. Since I have reduced protein my bs is more stable. I learnned this first from dr Ron Rosedale. His book was a very inspiring read

I've eaten less than 20 g carbs per day and most fats are avocado, olive oil and nuts/ pumpkins seeds. Some mayo too

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too scientific for me but I do inhibit the mTor pathway by keeping my protein at the right amount and no higher nor more than 21g per meal. The mTor pathway is the pathway to disease. Since I have reduced protein my bs is more stable. I learnned this first from dr Ron Rosedale. His book was a very inspiring read

I've eaten less than 20 g carbs per day and most fats are avocado, olive oil and nuts/ pumpkins seeds. Some mayo too

The main concept that Valter Longo propose which differs from the usual low carb is the idea of cycling the fasting/refeeding period. The fasting starts the autophagy process, clearing away the damage cells, the proper refeeding allows new cells to be generated.

That's my take away from his various interviews and studies...

Cycles of FMD reverse β-cell failure and rescue mice from T1D and T2D

In this interview he highlights it is the refeeding that rebuilds the system. From 03:00 onwards..

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's all very well regenerating beta cells, but without stopping the T-Cell attack on them, you can't really eliminate T1D.

It might provide a mechanism by which beta cell regeneration can be accelerated following an effective way to shut down that attack though, or potentially, future research might look at whether the introduction of the diet itself has a similar effect.

Reactions: uart

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Popped Sky News on around 0715 and the reporter was mid discussion with a GP about a mice study that apparently reversed BOTH types of diabetes...

From what I picked up (half asleep) was that the whole thing was based on a heavily restricted calorie intake, around 10% of the recommended - 200-250kcal.

She kept referring to both type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the possibility of reversal and no further need for insulin injections. She outlined the differences between the two conditions so is more than aware of their dissimilarities, especially regarding the cause.

I can't help but consider that this woman is bat **** nuts though. Pre insulin discovery, T1D's would go on a near starvation diet and would still die very quickly.

I understand this is a "study" but I don't like seeing this sort of thing in the news as it"s pure nonsense IMO.

Did anyone else catch it on the news this morning?

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just read this on the BBC News app myself, don't know what to make of it yet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39070183

It sounds quite vague. As @GrantGam says, starvation diets were a common treatment before insulin. I remember reading about a black coffee and whisky one (the whisky was added to dull the pain of starvation). All Type 1s died before insulin, despite their starvation diets.

I'm quite sceptical because previous comments like that that I've read have been disappointing when investigated further. And usually just mean the people with Type 1 have been able to reduce their insulin. That's fine but not a cure.

And, of course, presumably the newly regenerated beta cells would be attacked and killed by the immune system in Type 1s.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

"People spend five days on a low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high unsaturated-fat diet.

Then they have 25 days eating what they want - so overall it mimics periods of feast and famine."

Wow. Will have to have a proper read later. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: kokhongw

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The actual quotes the BBC uses from the doctor say that 'you can use diet to reverse the symptoms of diabetes' and it's in a mouse model, so it hardly seems to warrant the hyped headlines (yet at least).

The doctor (Dr. Longo) also mentions 'reprogramming' beta cells, which is very different from 'regenerating' them (which the Beeb mention earlier) although he also says 'rebuild' which I agree is closer to regenerating but he uses it in the context of rebuilding the part of the pancreas which is no longer functioning (but would obviously still need to exist) , regenerating implies creating new cells, reprogramming implies improving those that (still) exist.

Worrying because it gives non diabetics the impression that diabetes can be 'fixed' and as for using diet to control diabetes and improve the functioning of our remaining beta cells, a lot of us here work to do that :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39070183

Not sure how dieting will stop my body trying to kill itself? :banghead:

Valter Longo's team had an earlier report last year on how that may work...no one is sure at this point, but at least there is some progress...

Diet mimicking fasting promotes regeneration and reduces autoimmunity and multiple sclerosis symptoms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899145/
The FMD reduced clinical severity in all mice, and completely reversed symptoms in 20% of the animals. These improvements were associated with increased corticosterone levels and Treg cell number, reduced levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, TH1 and TH17 cells, and antigen presenting cells (APCs). Moreover, the FMD promoted oligodendrocyte precursor cell regeneration and remyelination in axons in response to both EAE and cuprizone MS models, supporting its effects on both suppression of autoimmunity and remyelination. We also report preliminary data suggesting that a FMD or a chronic ketogenic diet are safe, feasible and potentially effective in the treatment of relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) patients (NCT01538355).