Fasting Sugar: 121... how to make it in the normal range.. Please help... I am just 30yrs old...

Reeno

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting sugar was 121 and post meal 108... Its pre-diabetes. My doctor asked me to control the sugar... I am trying to conceive but first want to control the fasting sugar level. Please help. I am 30 years old and i have family history of diabetes from my mom's side...

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Hi Reeno, don't panic. There's a lot of helpful people on this forum who can offer really good advice for you to get your BG levels down. Then you'll be able to start your gestational project with joy.

Are you testing your BG levels at home. If not, get yourself a Blood Glucose monitor/meter and test regularly throughout the day to see how foods that you eat are affecting your levels. To see a quick reduction in levels readings avoid carbs (as the body converts them to sugar) from the outset and then add them later to see how you react to them. There;s lots of good dietary info on this forum, find one you're happy with. By taking control now you will certainly benefit and could even stave off a Diabetic diagnosis in the future. :happy:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Those blood sugar readings indicate more than pre-diabetes? If you are overweight then you are likely to be T2 and need a low-carb diet. If not overweight and as you are quite young it's always possible that T1.5 (LADA) is lurking as you have a family history. Do get the GP to do proper checks and monitor your blood sugar. BTW, your blood sugar reading 2 hours after a meal is more relevant than your fasting level as overnight liver dumps can affect results.

Reactions: 3 people

George1951

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Reeno,

One thing that took my wife the longest time to make me understand is that the carbs to be shunned are not just the obvious sugars whose names end in "ose". Grains, refined, and whole ones too, will give you "sugar" loads and should be avoided. Just about anything classed as a baked good is a source of carbohydrates, sad, but true.

I echo DiamondAsh's advice about getting a meter. If you take your own readings, not only will it guide your food choices but also, if you see progress, you will reduce worry during those long intervals between visits to your doctor.

My numbers at the beginning of this year were similar to yours. I took on my own (self-diagnosed) prediabetes in a radical way, by periodic fasting and putting the brakes on carb intake. I don't know whether fasting would be recommended for someone trying to conceive so you will want to talk things over with a qualified health provider. Daibell's suggestion to rule out T1.5 beforehand also makes a lot of sense in the light of your youth and family history. Still, you're welcome to take a look at my results: http://web.ncf.ca/fx536. I'm neither selling nor advertising anything.

To convert from UK (mmol/L) to US (mg/dL), multiply by 18.

Good luck to you,
George 1951

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may not be for everyone, but I ate vegetables( not potatoes) only for a week or so, just to get the levels down, then I re-introduced fruit, protein and fats, then some other carbs. I agree it's best to get a meter, then you can see what really affects your personal readings - we are all different.