Fasting

ianRugzo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello all,

Can someone share experiences for gasting with reactive hypoglycemia?

Since i get so tired, and headaches if i dont eat how do yoo manage to fast?

Thank you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Ian and welcome to our forum.

Because of your tiredness and other symptoms, you will find it extremely difficult to fast. The symptoms you describe are because of fluctuations in your blood glucose levels.
Most likely, you still have issues and symptoms that are caubsed by higher than normal glucose levels, high insulin resistance and excess insulin.
Until you get near normal levels consistently you will get those symptoms.
To do this you have to change your diet and eat to your meter if you have one, you need a glucometer to test which foods you are intolerant to or send your blood levels high then low.
Fasting will become easier if you follow a low carb diet.
At first try missing breakfast as your blood levels should be lowest then.
Then after a while, it will become easier.
Intermittent fasting and very low carbing will alleviate your symptoms.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Reactions: ianRugzo

ianRugzo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Ian and welcome to our forum.

Because of your tiredness and other symptoms, you will find it extremely difficult to fast. The symptoms you describe are because of fluctuations in your blood glucose levels.
Most likely, you still have issues and symptoms that are caubsed by higher than normal glucose levels, high insulin resistance and excess insulin.
Until you get near normal levels consistently you will get those symptoms.
To do this you have to change your diet and eat to your meter if you have one, you need a glucometer to test which foods you are intolerant to or send your blood levels high then low.
Fasting will become easier if you follow a low carb diet.
At first try missing breakfast as your blood levels should be lowest then.
Then after a while, it will become easier.
Intermittent fasting and very low carbing will alleviate your symptoms.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Thank you! I have started with the low carb ser how it goes from there.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you! I have started with the low carb ser how it goes from there.
It is not a cure, it is not a quick fix, it is for life unfortunately!

What is making you ill is the food you eat.
What makes you healthy is avoiding those foods!

RH is a rare condition, that has to be controlled if you want to be healthy!
There is nothing else out that will make you healthy.

Best wishes on your journey!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since i get so tired, and headaches if i dont eat how do yoo manage to fast?

RH is a common condition that is rarely identified.

Note that RH is due to delayed excessive insulin response to a high carbs meal. It indicates built up of insulin resistance and possibly loss of 1st phase insulin response.

The reason for the tiredness and headaches are usually due to the wide glucose swing. Our brain cannot handle it well, especially the drop. Having food that has lower glucose/insulin response will help. That means more proteins and fats, less carbs, especially refined carbs.

Consider taking some virgin coconut oil as the MCT in the coconut oil can serve as buffer fuel during the sharp glucose drop and moderate the effects. Otherwise you will have to time your meals to catch the low...

Example, the drop from 11.5 mmol to 4.9 mmol, 4hrs after meal. If there lunch did not come in time, the drop will likely continue to the 3s...

upload_2017-6-21_9-41-12.png

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
RH is a common condition that is rarely identified.

Note that RH is due to delayed excessive insulin response to a high carbs meal. It indicates built up of insulin resistance and possibly loss of 1st phase insulin response.

View attachment 23175

Hi @kokhongw,
I'm not going to disagree with you on your explanation of RH,
Because RH can be any varied response to how your insulin is produced.
In my case, my first insulin response is poor and can't cope with the glucose produced by carbs. My secondary response is excessive and the insulin will prove to push down my glucose levels too low too much.
I have to avoid the hyper, which in turn will avoid the hypos.

This form of RH is apparently rare especially in men.

And I wouldn't be foolish enough to discount any form of RH! I've seen posts so diverse that anything is possible.

I wish you could see my graph of my eOGTT and how my insulin response, first and secondary, works.

I think also that RH is common but it is the symptoms of RH, not the actual condition.
Again experience, has told me that, if you have a symptom of say a hypo, it could be a false hypo and symptomatic of a hypo.
Most of the symptoms I suffered in my hypo hell were just symptomatic, like my anxiety, forgetfulness, and so on. But I didn't have the actual condition of anxiety.
It was my brain sending messages for me to eat carbs.

You have a great grasp of how some metabolic conditions and I always read your posts, as they are informative and helpful.

Best wishes

Reactions: kokhongw

iambensimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told I have non dybetic hypoglicymia can anyone give me advice. My Hba1c was 31 mmol at the last count I'm sick of eating it's all I do ... my insulin production is high I think this was brought on via stress my dad and brother died from cancer in the space of a year anyone suggest some help please

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @iambensimpson

I too have non diabetic Hypoglycaemia.
My type is called Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
I know how and what you are going through.
I was where you are now five years ago.
Eating is a problem, ain't it?

This condition is controllable, we have to find your balance of compatible food.
It's not easy and it will take time. Knowing which foods you are intolerant too is so important. A glucometer is the best tool you can get to see how you're doing.

If you haven't got a blood glucose monitor, get one.
You probably are eating too much and probably too many carbs and sugars, which are the usual suspects. Portion size and exercise is also a part of getting your life back.

I would advise you to read our forum, the knowledge of how we treat the condition by dietary means only, we avoid the food that sends our blood glucose levels higher than we should and then we don't go low!
You are probably suffering symptoms of fluctuating blood levels. You are going high then low. You have to change this. By eating very low carb and avoiding the highs (hypers), then the lows (hypos) won't happen.

Keep asking and read the forum.

This works and its a marathon not a sprint!

Best wishes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The symptoms of stress is a symptom of Hypoglycaemia.
You probably have anxiety which doesn't help.
And you probably have symptoms of depression on top of that.
Having death in the family doesn't help either.

But, I assure you, once you have your blood glucose levels constantly around normal levels, these symptoms will ease.

You have to be strong to get through this period.
I know it's not easy and I had to battle to get my diagnosis and my life back!

You can too!

If you need help or support, this forum is great for help.
Talking about your problems will always help.

lindisfel

Expert
I have been told I have non dybetic hypoglicymia can anyone give me advice. My Hba1c was 31 mmol at the last count I'm sick of eating it's all I do ... my insulin production is high I think this was brought on via stress my dad and brother died from cancer in the space of a year anyone suggest some help please
Do you have a meter iamben? As well as knowing your insulin is high you need to know how you blood glucose changes after foods over one, two or three hours. And indeed what it is before meals. The fact you are producing too much insulin can be more complex than eating refined carbs. best wishes Derek

Reactions: ChasingR@inbows