Fat

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
I am 5-7 and I am 9. 10 I don't think I am over weight the problem I gave is getting the tummy
Down tried mist things been to the gym swimming done walking and nothing is working
What can I do.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are right in the middle of ideal weight with a BMI of 21.30
http://www.thefamilygp.com/body_mass_index_calculator.aspx
I very much doubt that your tummy is very fat but if you have been overweight in the past or had children then it's not easy to get back a flat stomach.
Just look at how many hits you get if you start doing a google search; everybody is after the miracle instant answer with sites suggesting the 5min workout, the 10 min workout, flat stomach in 6 weeks and 6 ways to finally get a flat belly etc etc.
Personally, I think it's probably not a good idea to focus on stomach exercises alone but to do something that incorporates them together with aerobic exercise (like brisk walking, jogging etc) I have found Pilates exercises good for toning and strengthening abs and core muscles.
But do remember that a lot of the body pictures you see are airbrushed, of very young fit people (and sometimes of people who have had some artificial help!)

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good diet, hard work, as phoenix has said concentrating on stomach exercises alone won't do much. A good combo of body conditioning/toning/strengthening excercise combined with aerobic excercise.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you really got a 'fat tum'? or is it just bad posture? or maybe just lose skin - depends on how old you are and whether you've had kids, or recently lost lots of weight. Personally I wouldn't bother about doing 100s of sit-ups - they don't work, at least not for women unless you really have no stomach muscles that work, in which case it might help. There are a number of exercises that you can do to tighten the muscles in your sides - that helps to redefine your waist. Pilates, ballet etc. will help with your core muscles and posture. But if you really do have a small roll, then that can be very difficult to shift.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'll add my 10 pennorth, I swear by callenetics - its an old dvd you can get on Amazon, its absolutely brilliant for toning. But ballet is good too, its all about small repetitive movement.

Reactions: 2 people

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she does the exercises for the waist, really very very effective, but you have to concentrate and work the right set of muscles.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
WOW all the suggestions are boring. (accurate but boring).

You need it to be fun or it will only be a flash in the pan.

Maybe join a bike riding group or play some sport - at least it would provide incentive to get fit.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW all the suggestions are boring. (accurate but boring).

You need it to be fun or it will only be a flash in the pan.

Maybe join a bike riding group or play some sport - at least it would provide incentive to get fit.
Unfortunately, bike riding will get you fit, but if its that last little roll of fat on the tummy, it wont touch it. I suppose a super lean body and heavy weight training might, after all you don't see weight lifters with tummy fat, but that is extreme.