1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Father's Day Fast

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Troubled1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Troubled1

Troubled1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With Father's Day coming this weekend I plan on starting a 7 day fast after we have our dinner. Does anyone want to join and post their progress and offer mutual support?

2. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I will offer support but at under 7 stone I think I would disappear if I fasted for a week!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What does a 7 day fast look like?

4. Troubled1

@Fleegle a seven day fast looks easy. No meals to worry about. No making time to eat. Only time to do things and dream about eating when it's over.
    Actually the first two days suck. After that it's not bad at all. If you have eat low carb for a while it's even easier.

5. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So you're eating nothing?
    Water, black coffee, tea?

6. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oooh - I don't think I am ready for no food for 7days. Although I have vastly reduced my intake of food I did a 24 hour fast on Monday and I am not sure I could have done it any longer. Good luck though - very interested in the results

7. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have done 24 hours in the past, no food at all, but only before medical procedures!
    Although I did do 12 hours today, but only because I was working and forgot to eat.
    (No, just remembered I'm lieing there, I had a chocolate digestive at a trade counter, with a cup of coffee this afternoon, when I was picking some stuff up, so I failed there)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Troubled1

@douglas99 I'll be having water, coffee and tea. I will probably use a touch of cream as I cannot stand coffee or tea without milk or cream. I'll also have some broth but avoid all food.
    I did a seven day fast at the beginning of May and have only been eating once or twice a day since. Usually the eating occurs in a 3-4 hour window.
    I have been low carb but the weight isn't moving. My bg numbers are a little elevated as well. I did have an apple today and my bg went from 6.5 to 5.1, I can't for the life of me figure out why.
    I just had a grilled steak, small baked red potato and some steamed asparagus. I threw caution to the wind and had a bowl of ice cream just to see how much my bg goes up over the next 1.5 hours. It'll be interesting.

9. Troubled1

Today is day one of my Father's Day fast. At 6:15am my fbg was 8.2. It was actually little lower than I figured considering all the food for dinner last evening.
    During the fast I'll post my bg's here at the end of each day as well as a short synopsis of how I felt during the day.
    I definitely overloaded on carbs yesterday but being Father's Day, I wasn't going to be a downer and not indulge. This morning I felt bloated then due to all the carbs yesterday, I felt hungry. Although I cream in my coffee, and I drink a lot of coffee, I will use milk instead and see if I have better bg levels than I did during my last 7 day fast.
    Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just watch out for amounts and carbs as milk has almost twice the carbs of cream and I tend to need more milk than cream in drinks.. just me but worth bearing in mind.
    As I'm sure you know the main point of fasting is to lower your insulin levels so that you can access your body fat for fuel (which is why the weight loss happens). After a high carb day this may be harder than after a low carb day. You'll probably be more hungry today after carbs yesterday so good luck!

11. Troubled1

@bulkbiker on my last fast I had a high carb day before it and it definitely was hard for the first 2 days. I now know what to expect.
    I didn't realize milk had more carbs than cream though. As much as I dislike black coffee, I may try that instead of milk or cream in it. I really think dairy is a culprit in my elevated bg levels but since I'll be cutting everything out, I won't know for sure.

12. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You really don't like to make it easy for yourself do you!
    Most of my carbs when not eating come from milk and cream but I can usually stay under 20g a day so remain comfortably in ketosis. I would have volunteered to join you but I'm being eggy this week but happy to support of you need anything.
    Regards
    Mark

13. Troubled1

Today's results are as follows. Fbg was 8.2 at 6:15am the numbers dropped to 6.1 by noon and at 8:50pm I got a 5.9.
    It was a pretty busy day for me and I only got hunger pangs a few times. They only lasted for a few minutes then were gone. I drank plenty of water and a few black coffees. I didn't experience any other effects such as nausea or headaches. My weight this morning was 196.5 lbs. I do not plan on weighing myself again until the morning of day 7.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Arab Horse

Be interested to see the first glucose of the day, do update us every day.

15. Troubled1

Day 2 of my 7 day fast.
    My fasting bg was 6.7 at 6:00am. By 9:30 it had risen to 7.7. I lifted today and afterwards my bg climbed to 8.2. At 9:00pm it had fallen to 5.9.
    Now an overview of the day. I was up at 6:00am with no sign of hunger. By 11:00am I was feeling quite hungry but a coffee and some water took care of it. I did feel some hunger pangs off and on during the afternoon but since I was busy at work, they passed by fairly quickly. After my workout I felt a little more hungry and seeing my bg level (8.2) I had a green tea and did some work around the house.
    I'm hoping my bg numbers will come down to a better level tomorrow although my day started lower, it looks like it will end the same bg wise.
    Knowing from my last 7 day fast that day 2 was the worst, I'm planning on tomorrow being much better. Even when I wasn't feeling hungry, I kept thinking about food. I must still be dumping sugar from my liver to be getting these numbers. I am curious as to when they will start to drop down.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Arab Horse

Mine tend to be high in the mornings.

17. Troubled1

Day 3.
    Fasting bg was 6.4. At noon I got a reading of 6.1. I'm seeing a nice slow downward trend happening. I felt hungry once in the morning at about 10:00am and then nothing until about 1:30pm. I did drink a little more coffee today but have also had a good load of water as well.
    At 6:20pm I had a bg level of 5.4.
    My last reading of the day was 6.5. Not really sure why it's up but I'm not overly worried. I'm sure my levels will be better tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

what kind of broth do you make? btw, post your spike bg, curious about the ice cream

19. Troubled1

@Contralto the broth I use is a store bought powder. Not really the best choice but I only mix it 1/2 strength.
    My ice cream spike went from 5.1 before meal to 10.7 2hrs after then back to 6.5 before bed.

20. Troubled1

Day 4. Fasting bg was 7.2. By 1:00pm it was down to 5.4. Only hungry a few times but the pangs were a little intense but passed quickly. My before bed reading was 5.3.
    I'm feeling lighter but I'm avoiding the scale until Sunday evening just before I break my fast.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook