Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
About to start a new book "Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill" Udo Erasmus

It's a heavy weight text book printed 23 years ago and used by my sports therapist when he was training.

Will be interested to see what was being taught and pushed just over a decade ago:)

Anybody read it?

If not, I'll briefly summarise as I work though it:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
About to start a new book "Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill" Udo Erasmus

It's a heavy weight text book printed 12 years ago and used by my sports therapist when he was training.

Will be interested to see what was being taught and pushed just over a decade ago:)

Anybody read it?

If not, I'll briefly summarise as I work though it:)

If you would give it an overview Kevin, I would appreciate it, please. I am going to cut my saturated fat because at 6.8 my total cholesterol is rather high so I am going to have a try at reducing it.
atb
Derek

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you would give it an overview Kevin, I would appreciate it,please. I am going to cut my saturated fat because at 6.8 my total cholesterol is rather high so I am going to have a try at reducing it.
atb
Derek

OK Derek, will do. I'll probs tackle it as a chapter by chapter précis...at least until I run out of steam:)

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
INTRO:

Originally published in 1986,this version is a second and most recent edition (1993), so surely must be light on current research....we shall see:)

The author will cover:

- the prop of fat, fatty acids, sugars, and cholesterol

- the healing and killing fats

- how fats and oils are made into marketable consumer products

- heath effects of applying technical skills (processing) to food without regard to human health

- the body's way of dealing with fats and food

- fats and cholesterol found in good

- how food prep affects health

- research findings (up to 1993...haha)

- new and therapeutic products

- other important nutrients

- degenerative diseases (no idea if he includes diabetes yet)

- the politics of health

- a consideration of the basis of human health

I already like the "challenging the sacrosanct" way this author appears to be thinking:)

OK, let's start Ch 1:) A Broader Context

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you've finished doing this book can you do the new Harry Potter novel for me ?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

alaska

Total cholesterol of 6.8 mmol/l is not necessarily too high -as long as you have healthy HDL levels.

A far more reliable indicator of health is your total cholesterol to HDL ratio -which should ideally be under 3.5

As you have a total cholesterol of 6.8, this means that if that same blood test gave you an HDL level of 2.0 mmol/l or higher, then you have a healthy total to HDL ratio.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you would give it an overview Kevin, I would appreciate it, please. I am going to cut my saturated fat because at 6.8 my total cholesterol is rather high so I am going to have a try at reducing it.
atb
Derek

Some peoples cholesterol is not effected by saturated fat but many peoples are. No one diet fits all and we are all individuals. I swapped a lot of red meat for fish and poultry and butter with olive oil and other saturates with avocado, olives and a few nuts and all fell into place. I still eat beef and lamb but in small quantities and a few times a week rather than most days. I love red meat but it did raise my CHO. I have never been a fan of coconut oil but I have read many times it has sent CHO through the roof. Nothing wrong with balancing things. Everything in moderation .....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was the same. Cream and red meats crucified my cholesterol and hubbies. My last one on avocado, olives, olive oil etc was 3.9 total. The lowest ever... Not sure whether that was good for me but just had cholesterol taken again today so will be interesting as I had to eat just smoothies and soups for a long time and it will be interesting to see these results.
Thankfully back to avocado, olives and salad eating again now.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading Malcolm Kendrick + the big fat lie, Gary Taubes etc, I think that low cholesterol is worse for you than high, optimum range 5-7. Until they start routinely measuring LDL fractions, in my opinion it is not even worth getting checked. All these sources present a highly convincing argument that it is vegetable oils that are the bad guys. I think saturated fat only does harm if you have a high carb intake at the same time.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading Malcolm Kendrick + the big fat lie, Gary Taubes etc, I think that low cholesterol is worse for you than high, optimum range 5-7. Until they start routinely measuring LDL fractions, in my opinion it is not even worth getting checked. All these sources present a highly convincing argument that it is vegetable oils that are the bad guys. I think saturated fat only does harm if you have a high carb intake at the same time.

Nope
Saturated fat is the devil's teat.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I agree for levels which is why I was concerned when mine dropped to 3.9. Prefer it higher..but when the "heavy" saturated put all my levels in the wrong direction then I could not go along the everything fat is good.

I have been low carb the majority of my adult life...well over 30 years..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat red meat and dairy. My cholesterol and breakdown is excellent and the lower carb and higher fat I went, the better it got. Triglycerides are the baddies and the ones I aim to keep low.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat red meat and dairy. My cholesterol and breakdown is excellent and the lower carb and higher fat I went, the better it got. Triglycerides are the baddies and the ones I aim to keep low.

High cholesterol isn't good for me, no matter how it breaks down. Only HDL is good in the (reasonably) high range.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It looks like raw meat and candles for me from now on.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Animal fat = good. Industrial seed oils and artificial fats = bad.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Odd that my friend in Blackpool tried to buy Avocado oil in all the large supermarkets and couldn't find any..
I went to Tesco where I live and found just one odd bottle on a shelf. I tried to buy it for him. Got to the till and Supervisor had to be called because of no price on the till. Supervisor came over and with a hand held computer tried to look up the price but then told me that they had all been withdrawn from sale for quality problems...
Nothing mentioned anywhere in shops or on internet...

Unrelated but how are the public that bought any avocado oil prior to this meant to know about an unknown problem and withdrawal from sale?? Surely this should be notified somewhere to the public?

All meat and cream (for me) is off the menu because not only does it alter all my cholesterol factors in wrong direction but also my stomach just totally stops when eating it (and all heavy carbs like bread and pasta etc)... So as much as I loved belly rashers I can't have them or I end up in A&E...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't bite it if I was you, cholesterol would go through the roof.
Not according to latest research. Saturated fat gave lowest all cause mortality accoding to a meta study done by Cambridge Uni et al. PUFA came out quite badly (i.e. vegetable oils) but it is possible that some data wrongly classified transfats as PUFA so the jury is still out on processed veg oils. I have seen many studies that show that Canola oil (Rapeseed oil) is especially problematic due to the manufacturing process problems leading to transfats being generated unintentionally. There is another meta study that show that a higher TC level is best for older people, and another report that showed that post mortems showed that many deaths due to CVE were showing histories of low LDL and that there seems to be no direct link between LDL and CVD.

I know this is information that you do not accept, but I think the peer review process shows the data to be reliable. The links to these reports are in other threads that we have discussed from time to time, and I do not intend to trawl the forum to dig them out again.