Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like your approach and invariably appreciate and am prompted to think more deeply by your contributions.

So press on @Oldvatr:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Okey Dokey. This is a topic that has my attention since not so long ago I was taking the opposite stance, but I have been persuaded by the recent research, which will not feature in the textbook (yet)*, Carry on Regardless.
Edit to add: (*) The website he runs may well be more up to date than the book Kevin is reviewing for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Ch 3 - Fatty Acids Overview

Too complicated for m to abstract other than to say:

- differentiates fats, oils, fatty acids

- describes structure of fatty acids

- describes the fatty end and acid ends of the molecules

- explains single and double bonds

- saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, Cis and Trans configurations

- describes functions of Fatty Acids

- identifies food sources of fatty acids:

- Superunsaturated W3 Family - what we call Omega 3s

- polyunsaturated. Omega 6

- no unsaturated Omega 9

- monounsaturated Omega 7

- saturated family

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ch 3 - Fatty Acids Overview

Too complicated for m to abstract other than to say:

- differentiates fats, oils, fatty acids

- describes structure of fatty acids

- describes the fatty end and acid ends of the molecules

- explains single and double bonds

- saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, Cis and Trans configurations

- describes functions of Fatty Acids

- identifies food sources of fatty acids:

- Superunsaturated W3 Family - what we call Omega 3s

- polyunsaturated. Omega 6

- no unsaturated Omega 9

- monounsaturated Omega 7

- saturated family

No class for transfats, then? only the trans structure?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not so far.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not so far.

Yes he does cover Transfatty acids according to his website. Panic over.

Transfats have been in use for some time now, but it is only recently they have been ostracised and banned. In fact i think manufacturers still have some years left to comply with the new regs. Not a surprise then.

However he does cover Omega 7 which is recently being hailed as a new wunderkind on the block. It is said (?) that it cures T2D, but at £37 a small bottle then we know better don't we? For those nor sure where it comes from it is Sea Buckthorn oil or Macadamia nut oil.

lindisfel

Expert
Are you sure it's not snake oil? :)

Transfats have been in use for some time now, but it is only recently they have been ostracised and banned. In fact i think manufacturers still have some years left to comply with the new regs. Not a surprise then.

However he does cover Omega 7 which is recently being hailed as a new wunderkind on the block. It is said (?) that it cures T2D, but at £37 a small bottle then we know better don't we? For those nor sure where it comes from it is Sea Buckthorn oil or Macadamia nut oil.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Thanks...very useful stuff. I love macadamia nuts and buy them by the kilo:) so I must be getting some Omega 7 without knowing it:)

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure it's not snake oil? :)
Not sure at all. The price for a start, and the commercial website promoting it strongly, gives a clue. I have not seen any independant studies on Omega 7, so I personally will not be investing in it.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ch 4: What's In A Name

As a non-scientist, I found this chapter so helpful.

It explained that there are nicknames, short hand and the Chemist's formal conventions for naming molecules.

Once explained it lists all the fatty acids, provided molecular diagrams, formal names and example explanations of the naming conventions in practice.

To those of you with a science background, this chapter would be elementary and add nothing, for those wanting to understand the science of disease generally, this chapter would be so so helpful.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ch 5: Hard Fats & Saturated Fatty Acids

Another useful chapter for me where he breaks down SaFAs describing them as the simplest Fatty Acids, and explains that these molecules range from 4-28 carbon atoms long, straight, no kinks, slow to react with other chemicals.

He then explains there melting points (important for cooking) and then breaks them into the following groups:

Short-Chain SaFAs: (4-6 carbons long), make up less than 10% of FAs found in butter and milk fat. And also in coconut and palm kernels.

Upto 8 carbons they are liquid at room temp. Upto 10, liquid at BODY temp, above 10 they are solid at body temp. Body uses upto 12 carbon chains mainly for energy.

Med-Chain SaFAs:

6-12 carbon atoms. Body metabolises same way as short-chain. Produces energy, does NOT store as fat and so used as med-chain triglycerides in diets of people with digestive and liver problems.

Long-Chain SaFAs:

Cells use these to build membranes.

Solid at body temp.

Insoluble in water. He describes them as losing major health risks related to human nutrition. Sticky playlets that can readily firm blood clots. I am not sure some of our knowledgable contributors would agree with this based in more recent research?

He states, these are found in beef, pork, mutton, dairy etc

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Another useful chapter for me where he breaks down SaFAs describing them as the simplest Fatty Acids, and explains that these molecules range from 4-28 carbon atoms long, straight, no kinks, slow to react with other chemicals.

He then explains there melting points (important for cooking) and then breaks them into the following groups:

Short-Chain SaFAs: (4-6 carbons long), make up less than 10% of FAs found in butter and milk fat. And also in coconut and palm kernels.

Upto 8 carbons they are liquid at room temp. Upto 10, liquid at BODY temp, above 10 they are solid at body temp. Body uses upto 12 carbon chains mainly for energy.

Med-Chain SaFAs:

6-12 carbon atoms. Body metabolises same way as short-chain. Produces energy, does NOT store as fat and so used as med-chain triglycerides in diets of people with digestive and liver problems.

Long-Chain SaFAs:

Solid at body temp.

Insoluble in water. He describes them as losing major health risks related to human nutrition. Sticky playlets that can readily firm blood clots. I am not sure some of our knowledgable contributors would agree with this based in more recent research?

Kevin - Have you watched or listened to the Trudi Deakin presentation from the PHCUK Conference I uploaded yesterday? She talks a lot about fats, in a simple way.

lindisfel

Expert
Sometimes one has to stick a wet finger in the air and find out which way the wind blows towards them. After talking to my doctor and having increasing non Hdl cholesterol I am cutting down drastically on saturated dairy fat to see what happens and increasing olive oil and omega 3. Of course sat fat may be OK for some but not for others. (I know people who can eat loads of carbs and not get fat.) It all depends on which guru you follow. But as my mother use often say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." D.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Med-Chain SaFAs:

Long-Chain SaFAs:

Solid at body temp.

I think Richard Feinman. who is a leading antagonist for sugar in the American diet, would disagree with that.
https://feinmantheother.com/2012/02/22/saturated-fat-on-your-plate-or-in-your-blood/

Recent reseach is showing that the SFA in our bloodstream is mostly self generated, and not directly related to dietary intake. In another thread we had a discussion (?) about overloaded FFA causing arterial damage, and I found that it seemed to be very difficult to actually produce overloaded FFA in vitro for experiments on rats. It is not something that seems to happen in real life. This was observed by Volek et al in their experiments.

If SFA in blood was so sticky, then we would not last very long. Our blood vessels are designed to carry this burden without problems through our lifetime. research seem to point out that damaged bloodvessels can trap detritus in the same way as a flooded rivers can build up silt at obstructions. The post mortem study has shown that the build up in plaque seems to be mainly damaged sdLDL and not FFA directly (i.e. it is the damaged lipid package, not its contents that is collecting).

Long chain SFA's are not entirely guilt free, but not for the reasons in your book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_long_chain_fatty_acid

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kevin - Have you watched or listened to the Trudi Deakin presentation from the PHCUK Conference I uploaded yesterday? She talks a lot about fats, in a simple way.
Has this been linked to in the Forum. I searched the PHCUK Seminar thread but its not there yet.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Not yet but it's on my list for today, now that I'm
in from gardening:)

lindisfel

Expert
If only, If only we had a sugar antagonist we would be home and dry be able to go to Harry Ramsden's for fish and chips! :) ;)
Derek

I think Richard Feinman. who is a leading antagonist for sugar in the American diet, would disagree with that.
https://feinmantheother.com/2012/02/22/saturated-fat-on-your-plate-or-in-your-blood/

Recent reseach is showing that the SFA in our bloodstream is mostly self generated, and not directly related to dietary intake. In another thread we had a discussion (?) about overloaded FFA causing arterial damage, and I found that it seemed to be very difficult to actually produce overloaded FFA in vitro for experiments on rats. It is not something that seems to happen in real life. This was observed by Volek et al in their experiments.

If SFA in blood was so sticky, then we would not last very long. Our blood vessels are designed to carry this burden without problems through our lifetime. research seem to point out that damaged bloodvessels can trap detritus in the same way as a flooded rivers can build up silt at obstructions. The post mortem study has shown that the build up in plaque seems to be mainly damaged sdLDL and not FFA directly (i.e. it is the damaged lipid package, not its contents that is collecting).

Long chain SFA's are not entirely guilt free, but not for the reasons in your book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_long_chain_fatty_acid

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not yet but it's on my list for today, now that I'm
in from gardening:)

Done it.

Very good.

I saw this lady interviewing Prof Panda earlier in the month, she is a very impressive clear communicator:)