Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Did he mention that UFA's are weaker due to double bond, and hence more prone to oxidation damage? This is where plaque is purported to come from. But SFA's are much more stable.
PS whats a DAFA? A SAFA in mufti?

Just my typos due to little podgy fingers:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Chapter 8: The Healing EFAs

The author explores both Linoleic Acid (LA, w6) and Alpha-Linolenic Acid (LNA, w3) in extensive detail, describing the molecular composition, formal titling, w6 being polyunsaturated and w3 superunsaturated.

The nub of his discussion is that both are essential for our body s and without them we will die, but our body' CANNOT make either...startling !

Deficiency lists are provided for both and include for example:

LA:
- eczema like skin eruptions
- loss of hair
- liver degeneration
- kidney degeneration
- drying up of glands
- susceptibility to infections
- failure of wind healings

LNA:
- growth retardation
- weakness
- impairment of vision
- tingling sensation in arms and legs
- high trigs
- high blood pressure
- sticky platelets
- edema
- dry skin
- low metabolic rate
- immune dysfunction

Both are classic signs of w6 and w3 deficiency, but both also respond well to supplement.

Functions:

Of the 2, LA has been studied far more extensively than LNA, as both are very difficult to work with and easily destroyed.

He goes into quite some detail on the following critical functions:

Energy production

Oxygen transfer

Haemoglobin production

Membrane components

Recovery from fatigue

Prostaglandins

Growth

Cell division:

Other LNA functions

Brain development

Co-factors:

This receives its own section, explaining that both must first be converted into into EFA derivatives or prostaglandins. These conversions require B3, B6, C and the minerals magnesium and zinc. So any deficiency of the 5 essential nutrients listed can mimic EFA deficiency.

Daily Requirements:

LA (w6): of the 45 known essential nutrients LA is the one with the largest daily requirement.

LNA (w3): need one fifth to one half in ration of w6.

He provides an extensive list of foods containing both and their ratios (masses of nuts) as well as fish oils.

The chapter concludes with a detailed section about Caring for EFAs and in reality how difficult this is and therefore how we the consumer MUST be careful about simply reading food labels and thinking "Wooo it's high in Omega 3 and 6, so that will be good"...often it is NOT!!

The factors affecting care are:

- light
- oxygen
- heat

In essence all EFAs should be fresh pressed and packaged in the dark in the absence of oxygen with minimal heat and then stored in opaque containers...so the stuff that works is expensive to produce:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Loss of Essential Nutrients:

A fascinating extract from from research done by Schroder (USA) and Bunker (Germany).

They carefully measured loss of Essential Nutrients and fibre form the processing of white flour!

Mineral. Loss %
Calcium 60
Chromium. 40
Cobalt. 89
Copper. 68
Iron. 76
Magnesium 85
Manganese 86
Molybdenum 48
Phosphorus. 71
Potassium. 77
Selenium. 16
Strontium. 95
Zinc. 78
Vit b1,2,3 72-81
Vit b6. 72
Pantothenic acid. 50
Folacin. 67
Vit E. E. 86
Linoleic acid (EFA) 95
Alpha Linolenic acid (EFA) 95
Protein. 33
Fibre. 95

Shocking!!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Additionally.....

White polished rice has lost between 26% and 83% of each mineral present in brown rice. Fat free milk (skimmed) has lost all of its Manganese and most of its selenium, as well as its Vits A, D, and E.

Over 50% of the calories in our normal Western Diet come from foods from which much of the m real, vitamin, essential fatty acid, and fibre content has been removed.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Additionally.....

White polished rice has lost between 26% and 83% of each mineral present in brown rice. Fat free milk (skimmed) has lost all of its Manganese and most of its selenium, as well as its Vits A, D, and E.

Over 50% of the calories in our normal Western Diet come from foods from which much of the m real, vitamin, essential fatty acid, and fibre content has been removed.

I wonder if this is because the husk is discarded, and most of these nutrients might be found in the husk? This is a scary list, and I do wonder if anyone has corroborated their research. We know flour has to be fortified, but mainly for vitamins and folate which are easily destroyed by processing, but i am surprised minerals such as calcium are so badly reduced.

Here is a very biassed view of the state for Skimmed Milk wrt calcium
http://www.dairycouncil.co.uk/consumers/faqs/if-i-drink-semiskimmed-milk-will-i-miss-out-on-calcium

Indeed if you google calcium deficiency, then there really are no dietary causes listed, and most Hypocalcaemia incidents seem to be linked to either endocrine malfunctions or Vit D deficiency, not from food being stripped of nutrients.

All white flour in the UK has to be fortified as a legal requirement eg:-
Bran and wheatgerm are streamed into this flour to make brown or wholemeal flour. Baking powder (raising agent) will be added to make self-raising flour at this stage. The nutrients calcium, iron and the B vitamins (niacin and thiamin), which are legally required in all white and brown flours, are also added. (Wholemeal flour already contains these nutrients, although it is lower in calcium.)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
His chapter "From Seed To Oil" has a decent summary of an in depth, detailed chapter looking at the history and current manufacturing (23 years ago):

So, we begin with a seed that is a rich source of essential minerals, essential vits, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, fiber, lecithin, phytosterols and health-promoting minor ingredients.

Even making a fresh, unrefined oil - the highest quality of oil there is - all of the protein and fiber present in the seed is lost, as well as some minerals and vits.

It still contains EFAs, oil soluble vits, lecithin, phytosterols, minor ingredients and some minerals.

During processing, most of the remaining minerals and vits are removed. All of the protein and fiber is already gone. Lecithin, phytosterols and minor components are also removed, and some EFAs are destroyed (due to light, oxygen and heat in nearly all but "cold pressed" processing).

In addition, processing introduces toxic molecules resulting from the breakdown and alteration of fatty acid molecules.

Fully processed oils are the EQUIVALENT of refined (white) sugars, and can therefore be called "white" oils.

Like sugar, they are nutrient-deficient sources of calories but in addition, they contain toxins that are not present in sugar. Wow!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
His chapter "From Seed To Oil" has a decent summary of an in depth, detailed chapter looking at the history and current manufacturing (23 years ago):

So, we begin with a seed that is a rich source of essential minerals, essential vits, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, fiber, lecithin, phytosterols and health-promoting minor ingredients.

Even making a fresh, unrefined oil - the highest quality of oil there is - all of the protein and fiber present in the seed is lost, as well as some minerals and vits.

It still contains EFAs, oil soluble vits, lecithin, phytosterols, minor ingredients and some minerals.

During processing, most of the remaining minerals and vits are removed. All of the protein and fiber is already gone. Lecithin, phytosterols and minor components are also removed, and some EFAs are destroyed (due to light, oxygen and heat in nearly all but "cold pressed" processing).

In addition, processing introduces toxic molecules resulting from the breakdown and alteration of fatty acid molecules.

Fully processed oils are the EQUIVALENT of refined (white) sugars, and can therefore be called "white" oils.

Like sugar, they are nutrient-deficient sources of calories but in addition, they contain toxins that are not present in sugar. Wow!!

Having seen the process steps involved in Rapeseed oil, I do not dispute these findings. heating any oil or fat is known to produce toxins too. bubbling solvents through oil is not good news either. Yup. Slam Dunk

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having seen the process steps involved in Rapeseed oil, I do not dispute these findings. heating any oil or fat is known to produce toxins too. bubbling solvents through oil is not good news either. Yup. Slam Dunk

The process he describes with solvents, bleach, stripping the oil then adding back man-made Anti Oxidants sounds truly horrific.

Like my wife said today however, "the more you learn the more you realise you need to be very discriminating when purchasing good stuffs and that adds up to a significant uplift in cash" :(

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Oldvatr, I think the most significant realisation the author communicates, whether it's about sugar, oils, fats, mins, vits, enzymes, ESAs, production etc, the way we farmed, ate, lived (exercise, real food etc), 100 years ago was much healthier than today:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
He quotes a stat from early assembled and tracked data from the early 1900s to the early 1920s when death from CVD and cancer was 15% (CVD) & 3% (cancer) compared to the levels 23 years ago (when this edition was written) of 44% & 23%.... That's an increase of 300% in 90 years and 600% in 90 years respectively.

On top of this other conditions of fatty degeneration: diabetes, ms, kidney probs, liver probs, and other have all dramatically increased in the past 90 years.

All very sobering!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The vitamins and nutrients in veg has dropped hugely in 100years. I can remember council houses having to have gardens big enough to feed a family...
Disease and illness has gone up since the vitamins in our food chain has gone down..

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am i reading this quote right? Light? That we photosynthesise? That light has to be pure? He's lost me already

He may be talking about the synthesizing of Vit D in the skin.

Let's wait and see!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The vitamins and nutrients in veg has dropped hugely in 100years. I can remember council houses having to have gardens big enough to feed a family...
Disease and illness has gone up since the vitamins in our food chain has gone down..

I lived in a council house that had exactly that and if curse allotments really came into their own during the Second World War.

You're spot on about depletion in the level of nutrients in veg. If I want organic today, I pay a premium. When mum & dad bought organic, that's all there was and it was result accessible and affordable and we were a poor family:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
He may be talking about the synthesizing of Vit D in the skin.

Let's wait and see!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Yes he is... As I've read more, I've really started to enjoy his clear teaching manner but rigorous science. Good book:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To me 5 a day isn't enough with todays vits in fruit n veg... I'm glad that aldi's do a fair range of organic.. But I can't work out organic butter.. Nobody from the main buttter people seem to sell it and the only place I can get it is Tesco own??? I can't figure that out... Why would tesco own label be the only organic available butter??
Sorry, derailed again.. Love the shortened version of learning!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He quotes a stat from early assembled and tracked data from the early 1900s to the early 1920s when death from CVD and cancer was 15% (CVD) & 3% (cancer) compared to the levels 23 years ago (when this edition was written) of 44% & 23%.... That's an increase of 300% in 90 years and 600% in 90 years respectively.

On top of this other conditions of fatty degeneration: diabetes, ms, kidney probs, liver probs, and other have all dramatically increased in the past 90 years.

All very sobering!

I think diagnosis and reporting has improved over these years too which could be affecting these figures. One of my recent forebears died of Decrepitation at the turn of the century. I think many deaths occurred in 'old age' but there were many other factors that contributed to early deaths so these diseases of 'old age' did not mature like they do now. i think we are seeing deaths in younger people nowadays, which is probably more connected to modern factors.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To me 5 a day isn't enough with todays vits in fruit n veg... I'm glad that aldi's do a fair range of organic.. But I can't work out organic butter.. Nobody from the main buttter people seem to sell it and the only place I can get it is Tesco own??? I can't figure that out... Why would tesco own label be the only organic available butter??
Sorry, derailed again.. Love the shortened version of learning!!

We think the same....we buy Tesco own brand organic butter....very strange:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The genes particularly mentioned are PPAR-alpha, PPAR-gamma, FTO.
Just a follow up now that I've got my genetic testing results. My PPAR genes say that I have normal fat metabolism, so no funnies to worry about there. I'm also lucky - I have the good version of FTO (aka "the Fat Gene"), so no genetic propensity for obesity. That said, I have over 20 polymorphisms that increase my risk of Type 2 - how surprising NOT ;)

Also a lot of other polymorphisms that threaten all sorts of dire autoimmune conditions, though I also have a mass of others that give me high HDL, so in the general scheme of things, saturated fat seems like a pretty minor thing for me.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Promethease tool sounds interesting. Where is it and what does it do?
https://promethease.com/

The cost is US$5.00 which is cheap compare to the actual test - there are a number of companies that do them like 23andme, AncestryDNA, etc. The turnaround between sending off the sample to getting the results is generally 8-12 weeks.