FBG Test Borderline

MrVincent

Good morning :)

Just another person that has gotten hold of a test kit and scared themselves half to death.

So I have recently (Past 2 weeks) noticed I get up in the night to pop to the loo, something I never or very rarely do but it is now on a nightly basis.
This forced me to look into it and came across as a possible symptom of diabetes, checking amazon and found a kit cheap enough with all the bells and whistles needed to test.

Test 1:

After work, I got home open the box figured out how to use it and got a test done. Result, 2.7.
I drank about 2L of water that day.
This was about 430pm, the last time I ate was at lunch 12pm with a Thai Green Curry.

Test 2:

The next morning I had done a FBG with the result of 5.6.
I drank about 1L of water that day.
That night for dinner I had an oven pizza from chigargo town a mix fruit kopperburg and a wihte choclate magnum for desert (8-830pm)

Test 3:

The following morning the next FBG result was 5.7
Dinner the night before being lamb shank, swede mash and peas with 2 glasses of apple juice

From the FBG tests I understand I am following on the borderline of Pre-Diabeties and this as most has scared the living daylights out of me.

I am 25 years old
Weigh 9st.10 pnd
Height 5ft.8inc
Wasit size 30inch
BMI 20.6

I also keep a track of my blood pressure:
Systolic: 124
Diastolic: 71
Pulse: 75

I have been the same weight for a while but over the last 8 month I have been increasing gaining 10 pounds over said time frame.

I guess I am not sure what I am asking other than advise from you guys with day to day experience of diabetes and other people like me that wonder in here.
I know everyone will say I should see my GP for certainty and that no one can diagnose anything over the WWW, and I will once I am back from my holiday (Which also frightens me, all that beer, bread and ice cream!!).

Thank you for taking the time to read :)

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fasting levels for diagnosis are:

under 6.1 normal
6.1 to 6.9 pre-diabetes
7.0 or more diabetic

With your small sample of fasting levels, you fall in the normal bracket.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Having said that, doctors no longer diagnose diabetes on the strength of a fasting level. They are too unreliable.

Your post meal tests might help you - test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. You should be under 7.8

As you said yourself, we can't diagnose you. See your doctor and ask for the full diagnostic HbA1c test.

MrVincent

Hi Buletit1802

Thanks for your reply, this is all very overwhelming with some people citing 5.5 or less is normal for fasting results but reading some of your past posts its common for some 'dawn phantom' to increase the reading in the morning.
Would you expect this to occur every fast reading? I know its only two consecutive days but I guess even still like you mentioned they're below 6 which is considered normal.

Like you suggest I have done some pre and post meal tests.
Based my day (except breakfast) on the exact same as Test 1 where I was recording 2.7 at 430pm (4 hours after meal).

Breakfast - One slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1150am Pre meal test result of 5.4
Lunch at 1220 - Green Thai Curry with white rice and chicken plus a half pint of coke (I know coke is awful I have said I will stop drinking but for testing purpose I drank it!)
1320pm 1h after lunch I recorded 8.4
1510pm sadly I couldn't test the next hour so tested at 3h after meal, had one reading of 2.9 but this had to be wrong so I retested and got a reading of 5.0 (I make sure to wash hands to avoid cross contamination)

I start to question to accuracy of the device eBwell eB-W01 (Amzon14 pound for device, pricking thing and the stuff for testing as well as bag)

I will assume I am non-diabetic for the time being, enjoy my holiday (Albeit trying be to careful on all the bad stuff, can't promise on the beer!!)

And will book an appointment with the GP on my return, even if I am said to be fine its a much needed kick up the buttocks to avoid the unnecessary things and be more active!

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will assume I am non-diabetic for the time being, enjoy my holiday (Albeit trying be to careful on all the bad stuff, can promise on the beer!!)

And will book an appointment with the GP on my return, even if I am said to be fine its a much needed kick up the buttocks to avoid the unnecessary things and be more active!

All that is the most sensible thing I have heard today! :) Holidays are for enjoyment, not worry, not stress, not too much deprivation, and most of all, fun. Booking to see your doctor is equally sensible! Please let us know how you go on.