Feel so misunderstood!!!

poppyowner

Hi all
Coming on here I'll admit for a moan! I am feeling sorry for myself again today - some days I just get on with things but other days I get thinking about the Diabetes diagnosis and how it affects me....
My Husband does not understand - he is stick thin, eats like a pig, and when I told him my diagnosis and how upset I was - he just told me "It's not like you have cancer or Type 1 the more serious one!!!". My kids (14, 13 and 5 ) don't seem to care - if I mention anything - a worry - something I've read etc..... they literally roll their eyes and basically state " You off again?" - obviously not my 5 year old!
No-one else in my family has Diabetes although all are overweight, same gene pool etc - they got tested after my diagnosis. I was diagnosed Jan 2009 and still haven't got my head sorted about it. In April 2009 I had my first Retinal Screening and they detected Retinal Detatchment - they rushed me into hospital and I underwent a very unpleasant op. Subsequently although without the op my sight would've gone in that eye by last Xmas, I have been left with very reduced sight in that eye. I feel so sorry for myself - yes I am overweight but I am always following a weight loss diet plan of some kind, I test my blood every morning and have finally got the readings before breakkie to under 7 MOST mornings.
My next retinal screening is April 6th and I am panicking incase something is wrong with my 'good' eye. I feel close to tears just typing this - no-one I feel I can talk to - no-one seems bothered enough to listen to me and hear me out! I panic incase other damage is being done internally whenever my levels go higher.
Since being put on Metformin 2 times a day back in Jan 2009 I had to go to Drs to see them as was getting REALLY REALLY forgetful, it iritates me my forgetfulness. They reduced my tablets to one a day which initially helped but now the problem is returning. I am forgetting sentences when half way through and literally am going blank. It is happening too often now for my liking and has become a 'joke' in my house every time it happens - I am not laughing! Even my 5 yr old the other day when I told him he was not allowed something later that day told me "Thats ok mum - you'll forget about it later and I can still do it" (whatever IT was!). That freaks me that it must be common enough for him to notice at 5!
I am 36 but feel much older. I feel a leper! I worry if my levels don't go down enough that they'll want to up my pills again and if that happens my memory will worsen even more!
I worry about my feet, I miss walking around barefooted, am always in blimin' slippers now!
I have lost a stone so far this year but my weight losses have slowed right down and are now about 1 lb a week which I know is healthier than bigger losses and that they all add up but I used to be renowned for my larger losses (along with larger gains(!) ) - I just feel soooooooo low today!
Last night went to a Theatre show and even there was made to feel a leper - they did something with the audience but excluded Diabetics along with a couple of other illnesses..... Diabetes is affecting me daily thanks to reduced vision, slipper wearing, pill popping, diet requirements - aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!
WHY ME!!!!! Why does Type 2 have a stigma re. weight attached to it when lots of much heavier people I know have tested negative to it!!???!!!
WHY when I went down at age 27 to Drs re. weight gain wasn't my glucose tested alongside Thyroid and me having it judged to my age and genes..... IF I had been tested and proven Diabetic would I have my eye probs now - eye DR said had probs over 5 years!!!!!

Giblet

Hi Poppyowner, do you want me to coe round to yours and give your hubby a slap :wink: Seriously he needs to understand how serious the condition is, and give you some support. Your going to feel down if you feel like your having to cope on your own. Tell him how you feel and if he loves you then perhaps he'll mend his ways.

We all go through patches of despair I reckon. I have been suffering the side effects of metformin for eighteen month and eventually broke down at the doctors and he referred me to the diabetic doctor in the surgery (should have done that at the start!) who is lovely and has changed all my medications. If things get too much for me i try to break them down into seperate issues and store them in boxes in my mind, then only open one box at a time and deal with that.....bit of physcobabble but it helps me....if all else fails there is always Vodka.....that was a joke by the way :shock:

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hiya Poppyowner

Great work on getting you levels and weight down. You obviously are doing the work here. Amazingly I didn't have a problem with Metformin but the half finished sentences sounded a bit like me on statins. Do you take meds for cholesterol? The tighter your control of your BGLs, the less chance of further complications with eyes, feet and much more as I am sure you know.
I live on a beach front with golden sands but I daren't walk along barefoot. How sad is that?
We understand how you feel. Perhaps focussing on one thing for the day that you know you can do that is good for you might be a useful move. A foot spa perhaps?

poppyowner

Awwww thanks for the support you two. Yes please do come round and slap my husband. To be honest I can't really expect him to be better as last year he lost his dad to cancer and although he had plenty of warning he still never phoned / visited etc and when told he was dying and may not see through the night he finally visited then rang me to say "There was no need for me to come up after all - Mum and my sister over-reacted!!!" - can you believe that!!???!! YET he had never fallen out with his Dad and preferred his dad to his mum! SO if his own dad dying of cancer wasn't enough to spark concern/care - even a phone call - how can I honestly expect any!
I too live by the beach although we have the manky shingle on ours - I used to love paddling barefoot with the kids..... bought some 'beachshoes' last year but felt too depressed to wear them - just sat watching the kids instead! Also now since my eye op if I am on the shingle my stomach starts churning - this happens whenever I see a clutter / pattern.....
My cholesterol levels have been ok since they started checking so was just put on Metformin.
I am focussing on my dietplan, keeping an eye on my levels, and also daily use a ZenChi Massager (I won it ! LOL) which is meant to improve circulation which should help re Diabetes.... small steps eh?
I just want someone - when I start to say my worries etc, to put an arm round me and LISTEN.... I am so fed up and angry at my worries / concerns not being heard or taken seriously.......NOW I find myself just not even bothering to say anything to anyone hence my post on here - here I hope you do all understand - I'm not like this everyday but when I am - I just feel so alone with this!
Thanks again for your postings - any tips etc gratefully received

Giblet

Well don't stew on it!. Come on here and have a good moan and we'll try to help out anytime. Try to get some "me time" at home if you can, and try not to stress too much. We're here for you :D

bufferz

as far as walking barefoot goes....go for it, you simply have to check your feet afterwards, or if its around the house, then just regularly.Just because your a diabetic doesnt mean you cannot walk around barefoot!

poppyowner

I'd been told NEVER to walk round barefooted again due to Diabetes - WHY DOES SO MUCH 'ADVICE' CONFLICT!!!!!!????!!!!!!

Thanks for being there you lot x

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Firstly
h025.gif
You sound really down and I'm not surprised, your OH sounds like he needs a
g025.gif
Is there a local diabetic group you can attend to discuss your feelings with like minded people.
Also have you had your thyroid checked?
I always walk around bare foot in the house. I suppose it depends on how much feeling you have in your feet.

poppyowner

Thanks Chris.... No there aren't local groups round here, also I worry hearing 'horror' stories direct from other diabetics will panic me even more!
You're so right about my OH - he does need the kick you suggested :)
Thanks for replying x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree with Kay. Foot Spa's should only be used with care if you are a Diabetic. If you have problems with circulation, cuts, grazes, ulcers then do NOT use them. You are likely to make any infection much worse.

I have a foot spa which I have used frequently.......however I have looked after my feet and do not have any complications such as listed above. I also discussed the proposed use with my Endo and DSN before I got one. They were happy providing I was careful with it's use. I always moisturise my feet after use as well. E45, any other lotions are all good.

Healthy feet and a spa is fine, unhealthy feet........do not use ! :(

Ken

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Should have been more specific about my proposed treat for yourself, Poppyowner.

No, I don't use a plug-in gadget foot spa just a good sized bucket/basin of water, temperature tested of course, some mild shampoo and you can swish around to your heart's content. My podiatrist has no problems with that one. When I dry my feet I give them a good massage myself with some nice moisturiser. It is inexpensive and feels so good to my poor feet. They also get a good check over as well.

Occasionally my grown up daughter has done the massage when visiting as she knows her Mum will love her heaps more! It is all about loving yourself a bit more I think. I was trying to think of a simple, inexpensive treat for the body that didn't involve food!
Alison