feeling alone and scared

aimeesharon

Hi my 20 month old daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as u can imagine im frightened and just cannot take it in at the moment is there anyone out there in my position im feeling realy alone with this right now :(

ClaireG 06

Hello ad welcome to the forum :D We have lots of parents who post to this site and i'm sure one of them will be along soon :) Maybe have a look at and post in the diabetes youth club section. That's where a lot of the parents post.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

There are many parent who frequently post here who have felt the exact same way you do now, and i'm sure they will all re-assure you how your feeling is quite normal and does get better.

Hopefully some of the parents will be along soon to offer you words of advice and support.

I can promise you it does get better, there are many many many children who are pefectly normal happy kids despite something like diabetes.

All the best. Hang in there and feel free to post any questions or worries you have.
xxx

benedict

Administrator
Hi aimeesharon

It's not too uncommon these days for very young children to be diagnosed. You are not as alone as you may feel at the moment.

The good news is that with diabetes, it'll get a little bit easier step by step with each new bit of knowledge.

Can I ask which aspect you find most frightening at the moment?

Benedict

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, my son was diagnosed at 8 months. He's now had diabetes 4 years. It is very hard in the early days but young children do adapt really quickly. It took me sometime longer but somehow I got to today.

I would expect your daughter to have a very normal and healthy life. Once upon a time diabetes may have meant a premature death but with modern testing and insulin available there is no reason for blood sugars to be far out of the ordinary for any length of time. Your daughter may actually end up leading a more healthy lifestyle because of diabetes than what otherwise could have been the case. None of us can see the future and poorly managed blood sugars can still lead to serious complications as can other factors like smoking/drinking/drugs/obesity etc...

As a parent the biggest change I've made is to always have a packed bag in the car and at home so that we can always go out and stay out as long as we need. I've got food, glucose powder, drink, clothes, wipes, spare meter, spare needles & lancets, hypo kit, spoons and batteries. I have always been quite organised but I am even more so these days.

The hardest times I've faced is when Khaleb is ill as blood sugars can go very high or low depending on the illness. The rest of the time we have a good routine that suits what we do for the week. He's on Levemir twice a day and Novorapid with meals (X3).

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I must say I nearly had a break down when Khaleb was diagnosed but that was more due to the fact the diagnosis would never allow him independence because he is also intellectually impaired and I am a single parent.

Hang in there and just take a day at a time.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, hope your feeling better and more supported now, you have had some great replies from the childrens parents, they will know exactly what you are experiencing and going through. We will still be wondering how you are too, please keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you and your so young daughter. Much love and thoughts. Anna.x :D