feeling dispondant

jan681

ok so here goes again had an app to see the nuse and the doc all on the same day went in this morn had the nurses app first and was bascally non exisitant i tod her bout my diet and about me geting an montir to check my sugar levels etc and i was told that there was no need for me to have it becuae ibe reduiced my level by to points since the last blood tesr in april gone form typ2 2 ro boderline prediebtic got ablosuloty no advice at all part form what you have already pointee out on heren
queye to my second app with doctor after going though a variyos few other thngs i asked him what about the test that i had done and should i have another one done beodcause the orgoibal tests i had for diabtoes were not the fastin ones but testing for all other conditions included and he said no the resuts are right .. but im not sure if this si the case been home testing and my resuts are highther than the ones form thr doc would appreate some advice please

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Jan681,
Don't worry too much about testing. Listen to the advice from your Doctor and keep reading the Forum. Fasting test every morning should be enough for now. When you start to feel hungry, eat (but don't overeat). Eat regularly about every 3 - 4 hours. Get plenty of exercise but don't over do it - unless you are an Athlete. Always carry some sweets in your pocket for emergencies - but don't eat them unless you have to. Try and keep away from everything sweet.

In time you will learn what your body is telling you about your condition. If your head feels a bit foggy that means that your liver has injected some Glucose into your blood stream to prevent you getting a Hypo - eat one of your sweets and then have a meal right away. The foggy feeling will disappear.

Keep posting - we are all here to help - and don't worry.

Reactions: callyandy

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok so here goes again had an app to see the nuse and the doc all on the same day went in this morn had the nurses app first and was bascally non exisitant i tod her bout my diet and about me geting an montir to check my sugar levels etc and i was told that there was no need for me to have it becuae ibe reduiced my level by to points since the last blood tesr in april gone form typ2 2 ro boderline prediebtic got ablosuloty no advice at all part form what you have already pointee out on heren
queye to my second app with doctor after going though a variyos few other thngs i asked him what about the test that i had done and should i have another one done beodcause the orgoibal tests i had for diabtoes were not the fastin ones but testing for all other conditions included and he said no the resuts are right .. but im not sure if this si the case been home testing and my resuts are highther than the ones form thr doc would appreate some advice please

be proud of what you have done and buy the menter if you want to... they are probably told to tell everyone diabetic type 2 the same..

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @jan681 Don't fell despondent, you have done well done on reducing your bs levels from diabetic to pre-diabetic. Don't get too worried about the results of your tests at home being a bit higher than the tests at surgery,.
Finger prick tests only show your bs at that moment in time, and can be affected by various factors. Also glucose meters aren't 100% accurate and different meters will give different readings.
The NHS doesn't usually advise T2 diabetics to use meters unless they are on insulin, as they don't want to have to pay for prescribing meters and testing strips, but it sounds like you have a meter and are testing yourself.
Keep on doing what you are doing and your bs should continue to fall, hopefully into the non-diabetic range.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Jan681,
Don't worry too much about testing. Listen to the advice from your Doctor and keep reading the Forum. Fasting test every morning should be enough for now. When you start to feel hungry, eat (but don't overeat). Eat regularly about every 3 - 4 hours. Get plenty of exercise but don't over do it - unless you are an Athlete. Always carry some sweets in your pocket for emergencies - but don't eat them unless you have to. Try and keep away from everything sweet.

In time you will learn what your body is telling you about your condition. If your head feels a bit foggy that means that your liver has injected some Glucose into your blood stream to prevent you getting a Hypo - eat one of your sweets and then have a meal right away. The foggy feeling will disappear.

Keep posting - we are all here to help - and don't worry.
Please don't assume that everyone is on insulin so needs to carry sweets to avoid hypos just because you are.

To @jan681
Please get a meter and start testing certainly before you eat and then 2 hours after to see the effect the meal has had on your blood sugar levels. You will probably find that the lower the carb content of the meal the better you levels will be.
There is absolutely no need to eat every 3-4 hours as this constantly provokes your liver so your body never gets a rest until you sleep.. it is far better to try to eat in a limited window. If you miss breakfast for example and just have lunch and dinner you should get better control. This is known as 16:8 fasting and can have very beneficial effects. Advice from doctors can be patchy at best depending on your GP but a lot know very little about Type 2 and how to best control it. I would hazard a guess that you will get much better advice here. But as always it's your condition to manage.. it just tht soe of us here can get pretty good results ignoring what the docs say.
Hope that helps a bit.
Regards
Mark

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had been doing low carb for about ten days I had some serious dizziness and I decided to see if it was low blood sugar by eating a few grapes - like three large ones, far less carb than a sweet. The dizziness faded, then returned a few hours later - I tried a thin sliver of melon, that worked too. The small amounts of sugar were enough to restore normality.
I think that hitting your metabolism with something 60 to 70 percent carbs - even a small sweet, when it is in distress is not a good thing if you can avoid it. At the end of two weeks I am into ketosis and no more problems. I found a BG tester and put in new batteries and bought strips and lancets. The BG readings are going down, my weight is going down.
I eat twice a day, a long standing habit after decades of low carb eating.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't assume that everyone is on insulin so needs to carry sweets to avoid hypos just because you are.

To @jan681
Please get a meter and start testing certainly before you eat and then 2 hours after to see the effect the meal has had on your blood sugar levels. You will probably find that the lower the carb content of the meal the better you levels will be.
There is absolutely no need to eat every 3-4 hours as this constantly provokes your liver so your body never gets a rest until you sleep.. it is far better to try to eat in a limited window. If you miss breakfast for example and just have lunch and dinner you should get better control. This is known as 16:8 fasting and can have very beneficial effects. Advice from doctors can be patchy at best depending on your GP but a lot know very little about Type 2 and how to best control it. I would hazard a guess that you will get much better advice here. But as always it's your condition to manage.. it just tht soe of us here can get pretty good results ignoring what the docs say.
Hope that helps a bit.
Regards
Mark
Good answer and good advice.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.

@jan681 : Did the doctor perform a HbA1c test? That is the blood test that is usually performed to diagnose Diabetes or Prediabetes. HbA1c measures an average of what your blood sugar has been doing over the last two to three months and does not have to done while you are fasting to be accurate. I would look online for the brand meter you want to get-there are often free meter offers on line. Do you have to have a prescription for test strips there? We do here in the USA.
I would celebrate the fact that you do not need medication yet-life is much easier without it if you can keep your blood sugars good without it. Good job and sorry your doctor frustrated you-mine offered stronger depression meds last time I saw her when I expressed my anger at her changing my insulin brand by calling my pharmacy without even talking to me first.
Also, as bulkbiker says-you do not need to carry candy unless you are on medication that causes low blood sugar.