Feeling down, retinopathy results

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my diabetic retinopathy screening a couple of weeks ago and have received the results today. I have background retinopathy :( this has given me the kick up the backside i needed, however I feel down. I really struggle keeping on the straight and narrow, and I have no willpower, I love all the things I shouldnt eat and struggle to find things to substitute these. Can anyone help? any links?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic....

background retinopathy can also be described as normal changes to the eyes of a diabetic.....

background retinopathy can come and go....

the important thing is to keep your levels stable, so no spikes up and down if you can avoid, as its this type of BG behaviour that aggravates the micro-vascular system, ie the eyes....

you can have background retinopathy till the day you die without even noticing....;)

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply novorapidboi26, my problem is the spikes, my levels are up and down:( Cant get test strips on prescription so need to buy them. I do buy the codefree ones from homehealthuk and use the code to get them cheaper, but they still cost :(

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Sometimes one of the hardest things to do is to accept that we have to change the way we look after ourselves for ever. You say that you have no willpower yet if you can get out of bed in the morning when you really would rather go back to sleep then, you have willpower. Sometimes we need a trigger to make us realise that things have to change and perhaps you could use this result to help you make the changes you need to? I've read on this forum of people who get the same result as you just have, then change their diet to lowcarb and start to exercise. When they have their next eye test there is no sign of retinopathy. I wish you the best of luck @fionamarie

Reactions: fionamarie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had my diabetic retinopathy screening a couple of weeks ago and have received the results today. I have background retinopathy :( this has given me the kick up the backside i needed, however I feel down. I really struggle keeping on the straight and narrow, and I have no willpower, I love all the things I shouldnt eat and struggle to find things to substitute these. Can anyone help? any links?
I just came back from the ophthalmologist today, I see him on average three times a year. For the past 25 years my eyes have shown signs of retinopathy but haven;t really changed that much. There have been times where they appear a little worse and other times where you would never know I had the issue. I asked the Doctor if I should be concerned and he commented that considering I've been living with type 1 for 51 years and the slow rate of progression there was likely nothing to worry about but to continue seeing him in the event that things suddenly change. Like most people with diabetes - losing vision is quite a concern for me - at one time it was an obsession but fortunately I think I'm past that now - and yes I'm no model of diabetes management and I have yet to meet anyone who is - so having said that ... Just try to do the best you can and try not to worry about your retinopathy as it may remain at the state it is now for the next 20 years - that's pretty typical.

Good Luck!

Reactions: fionamarie