Feeling ill all the time

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a t1 and I've recently had some problems with hypos in the night and high sugars during the day. They've got better in the last week but I was really sick yesterday morning after being hypo during the night. I assumed it was something I ate and I felt better after but I'm feeling really sick again this morning after a night of extremely high sugars. I haven't thrown up and I've managed to eat breakfast but I still feel horrible. I have a little bit of a cough and wonder if it's that but I'm really worried. Please help!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sickness is oftena problem with blood sugar. Was you sugar under good control before your sickness? If not have you balanced your Basal recently and are you carb-counting the Bolus?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a t1 and I've recently had some problems with hypos in the night and high sugars during the day. They've got better in the last week but I was really sick yesterday morning after being hypo during the night. I assumed it was something I ate and I felt better after but I'm feeling really sick again this morning after a night of extremely high sugars. I haven't thrown up and I've managed to eat breakfast but I still feel horrible. I have a little bit of a cough and wonder if it's that but I'm really worried. Please help!
Unfortunately nausea is a symptom that is common to both high and low BG.

Until you get your sugars stable, it's unlikely to go away.

As @Daibell has said, it's important to get your basal set correctly. You can use this guide to help you do that:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Once you get your basal dose right, then you can fine tune your I:C (insulin to carb ratio) in order to ensure you're injecting the correct amount of bolus insulin to cover your meals.

Try and make sure you have your last meal at least 5 hours before bed. This will ensure that the bolus insulin you last injected will have been used up completely before you go to sleep. Meaning that your BG should be more stable before you nod off. Also, if you're going to hypo from your last bolus - you'll be able to treat it when still awake.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jemmaedias It could be some kind of stomach bug making you sick and causing the erratic sugars, or possibly it's your body's reaction to having very low and high sugars. How high were your highs? If you're vomiting with very high sugars, I'd test for ketones and give your DSN a ring for advice.

I hope everything settles down for you.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling really sick again this morning after a night of extremely high sugars.

Hi @jemmaedias have you been extremely high all night and now you're feeling sick? What is your blood sugar now? Have you tested for ketones? Are you familiar with sick day rules?

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people