feeling strange

tulu68

Hi all first time on here. i have been feeling really strange for the past few months but last week maybe twice a day the symptoms have scared me, been to gp today and have a fasting blood test on wednesday morning. i was diabetic when pregnant. my sister had diabetes, metformin, insulin when pregnant and my mum borderline.
symptoms at first i start feelig dizzy and then sick if i try to carry on whatever in doing i have to stop because i feel like im going to faint and the sickness gets worse to the point i have to sit down my limbs feel heavy my forehead sweats makes me sway when walking. i eat something hard to eat because i feel so sick once eating i come round in about 30 mins but feel extremly tired . approx every 3 hours i feel hungry and sick if i dont eat.
had a slice of cake before bed (midnight) i fell asleep on the floor when i wake up after a nap i crave sugar. had two sips of coffee with milk this morning wnt to the gp then to asda and had a finger prick test result was 7.1. went shopping after not feeling too good bought a blood sugar test kit felt dizzy and strange again so had 5 kitkats and lucozade drove home took another test and reading was 8.2 approx 40 mins after eating.
the episodes really scared me was scared because i was on my own. one occasion my partner was with me and he took my blood pressure after everything had settled down and i was coming round 167 over 95, i dont know what that means.
hope they get to the bottom of it because i feel sick and lightheaded throughout the day.
thank you for reading this, has anyone else felt the same i might be something else i dont know.
Wendy

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The blood pressure is way high if taken when rested, did the doctor check your pressure in the surgery (though can be slightly elevated when visiting a GP).

Normal resting blood pressure is around 120 / 80. Basically the high number represents the pressure of your blood when being pumped around and the low number is the resting pressure between beats of the heart.

With high pressure, you can feel light headed dizzy and have other symptoms, think you need to have another appointment with the practice nurse or doctor to check your blood pressure at the least. Pressure that high needs sorting out very quickly

For follow up checks or those concerned about ones pressure, they may have a Blood pressure machine set up in a room where you can just pop in and hand the print outs to the reception with your details and a nurse or doctor will ring back if needed. If they have a tester set up its ideal to give the docs several results before you get to see a doc, assuming it takes several days to get an appoinment.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut out the lucozade and the kit-kats! You are just loading yourself up with sugar that your body cannot cope with if you are already diabetic or prediabetic.

Here's a few suggestions now you've got a testing kit. Test on waking (ie overnight fast), immediately before meals and again at 2 hours after taking your first bite. No eating between meals, because you want to find out how your body copes with your regular meals. Eat three meals a day and don't skip breakfast, even if it's just a plain yogurt and maybe a handful of nuts.

If you feel awful, check your blood with the meter. If you are over 3.9 then there is no need to eat anything. Tough it out until your next meal. Don't drink Lucozade! It will send your sugar levels right up. The same goes for chocolate, biscuits, cake or anything sugary. If you must eat, a handful of almonds, perhaps. Nuts are very low in carbs that's why I'm saying it.

Even non-diabetics can have too high blood glucose after sugary drinks and Lucozade is just spiking those sugar levels. If you must drink fizzy drinks go for a diet version.

Wait for your test results and take it from there. You may well need to change your diet, lose some weight or get more active. People can and do control their diabetes successfully either with or without medication.

Your test results may well come back as normal, but pay attention to your post meal readings. If you find that you are consistently over 7.8 at 2 hours then you need to adjust your diet to prevent diabetes developing in the future.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

tulu68 said:
Hi all first time on here. i have been feeling really strange for the past few months...

Hi, you don't say what drugs you are on and this may be completely irrelevant. I notice that PAV is on Amlodipine (for blood pressure?). This drug gave me really strange and unpleasant symptoms to the point where I spoke to my GP who took me off it. I know others who have had similar problems with this drug. Just a shot in the dark .... By the way and not to counter PAVs comments, your blood pressure was probably all over the place after that scare and it's difficult to know when is a good time to get a consistent reading after such an episode. Very high blood pressure can happen without symptoms, so it isn't necessarily that. As PAV says, a visit to your GP is in order. Good luck!

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a BP monitor, a good time is in the morning before eating. Sit at a table like a dining table for 5 minutes, feet on the floor - don't cross you legs or raise your feet. Your arm where the cuff is should be at the level of your heart,so you may need a cushion to raise it a bit depending on the height of the table. Most monitors will give an average of three readings if taken within 10 minutes, so you could use your average of three if you like. Alternatively, you could take your blood pressure before bed, going through the same routine of sitting quietly for 5 minutes etc.

Blood pressure readings are just a snapshot of any one time and it can vary depending on recent activity, anxiety levels, etc. If you have access to a monitor then use it - that way you'll be able to see if you do have a problem, but you must tell your GP anyway.

tulu68

Thank you all for your replies i wondered when to take blood tests for monitoring now i know thank you. Gp took blood pressure and said was slightly high but no concerns. I ate the kitkats and drank the lucozade because i was scared of going funny whilst out i normally do eat healthy but thanks for the advice on nuts i love them and its something i dont normally eat ive heard porridge is good to start the day with will look into more healthy eating tips. think i will go for natural yogurt nuts and seeds.
I must be strict with myself about eating i skip so many meals. If blood sugar levels is the cause of these episodes ive got to eat well.
medication im on is pregabalin, naproxen, tapentadol, lansoprozole and paracetamol for back and nerve pain.

A

Anonymous

tulu68 said:
Thank you all for your replies i wondered when to take blood tests for monitoring now i know thank you. Gp took blood pressure and said was slightly high but no concerns. I ate the kitkats and drank the lucozade because i was scared of going funny whilst out i normally do eat healthy but thanks for the advice on nuts i love them and its something i dont normally eat ive heard porridge is good to start the day with will look into more healthy eating tips. think i will go for natural yogurt nuts and seeds.
I must be strict with myself about eating i skip so many meals. If blood sugar levels is the cause of these episodes ive got to eat well.
medication im on is pregabalin, naproxen, tapentadol, lansoprozole and paracetamol for back and nerve pain.

You must ratlle when you jog!!!! :lolno:

tulu68

lol, i take so many tablets but the combination is perfect for me to carry on a normal life.
Just had a fasting blood test at the doctors took a test when i got in and it read 8.2, its higher than the fasting test from the supermarket, going to have breakfast now im starving.
hav a good day everyone :D :D

tulu68

had breakfast feel strange again took finger test 2 hours later and read 11.3.
shredded wheat no sugar for breakfast
1 cup of coffee no sugar.
is this a normal reading

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
It's a bit high but there - I take three hours after meals to get back to under 7.8. I must admit it only takes me two hours after breakfast just thought

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people walk it off, or get on a treadmill, and some say drink plenty of water (but sensible amounts, don't go overboard). Use it as an opportunity to identify which foods are best avoided. In this case, shredded wheat are probably best avoided in future. Try a scrambled egg (no bread, toast, crackers, etc) a plain yogurt, maybe a few nuts instead—test after 2 hours and I bet you'll get a lower number.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
50g of dry shredded wheat no milk works for me

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol