Feeling tired with weight gain

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've trying to cut back on carbs since I was diagnosed almost three weeks ago and initially I lost about a pound a day. Since last week my weight has stabilised, due I think to my adding in one small avocado each day for breakfast. Yesterday I had cheddar cheese with salad for lunch, a handful of Brazil nuts, and sausages with salad for dinner. This morning I had put on 1.2 pounds and have felt very tired all day. I am trying to stay off caffeinated tea and coffee but I've had a mug of ordinary tea and that seems to have given me a bit of a lift. Any ideas why I feel so off colour today? Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be concerned about the small weight gain. Our bodies fluctuate all the time and a pound or two here and there is nothing unless the trend continues of course.

Are you eating enough fat? When we drastically reduce our carbs we also reduce our energy, and this needs to be replaced with extra fats. There are also other reasons for fatigue, ranging from "carb flu" (a temporary state when our bodies have been used to high carbs and suddenly there are none), to mineral/vitamin deficiencies.

Reactions: AM1874

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The slight weight fluctuation is normal. I would suspect cheese before avocado though. Dairy is a known weight staller.

You could be going through the low carb flu which can take a few weeks to end. Usually less.

How many carbs are you eating presently and how many were you eating.

Hormones?

Sometimes we just have low energy, no mojo days. That's human nature.

Add a little salt to your foods. Drink lots of fluids. Low carb is dehydrating by nature.

Feel better

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be concerned about the small weight gain. Our bodies fluctuate all the time and a pound or two here and there is nothing unless the trend continues of course.

Are you eating enough fat? When we drastically reduce our carbs we also reduce our energy, and this needs to be replaced with extra fats. There are also other reasons for fatigue, ranging from "carb flu" (a temporary state when our bodies have been used to high carbs and suddenly there are none), to mineral/vitamin deficiencies.
Thanks Bluetit. Interesting point about the fat - I had thought I would be getting enough fat from a daily avocado and handful of Brazil nuts. Yesterday my only carbs came from ~150g yoghurt so perhaps I am experiencing 'carb flu' today.

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The slight weight fluctuation is normal. I would suspect cheese before avocado though. Dairy is a known weight staller.

You could be going through the low carb flu which can take a few weeks to end. Usually less.

How many carbs are you eating presently and how many were you eating.

Hormones?

Sometimes we just have low energy, no mojo days. That's human nature.

Add a little salt to your foods. Drink lots of fluids. Low carb is dehydrating by nature.

Feel better
Thanks Kristin251. I didn't know dairy would stop me losing weight, I thought the calcium in dairy was supposed to help us lose weight :( I think yesterday I had fewer carbs than normal - my new normal that is. I'm trying to stick to the less than 5% carbs as far as possible and always under 10%. So far I've lost weight on it and haven't felt unwell. I'll drink plenty this afternoon and just put feeling unwell down to having an off day.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi, I've trying to cut back on carbs since I was diagnosed almost three weeks ago and initially I lost about a pound a day. Since last week my weight has stabilised, due I think to my adding in one small avocado each day for breakfast. Yesterday I had cheddar cheese with salad for lunch, a handful of Brazil nuts, and sausages with salad for dinner. This morning I had put on 1.2 pounds and have felt very tired all day. I am trying to stay off caffeinated tea and coffee but I've had a mug of ordinary tea and that seems to have given me a bit of a lift. Any ideas why I feel so off colour today? Thanks.
Hi @Sixpence
As has been said .. we all have good :) days and bad :(
Just thought that if you havn't already done so, it may be worth checking out the info on the Low Carb Diet forum
Also the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme
Hope this helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dairy doesn't make everyone fat, far from it. You should see the amount of it I eat, tons of butter, cream, and so on and my weight has remained stable at under 9 stones for 2 and a half years. If the only fat you had yesterday was the yogurt and a few nuts, it isn't enough in my opinion. What about adding an olive oil dressing to your salads - or what I do, big dollops of Hellmann's real mayo? Then there is oily fish, so good for you in many ways.

Just as a PS. I'm having an off day today - a bit fatigued and in a "can't be bothered" mode. It's nothing to do with health matters. It's because I did too much yesterday. So there are simple reasons.

Let us know if it continues. :)

Reactions: Sixpence and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is the cheese and nuts that seem to cause weight loss to stall for me. Not that there is anything wrong with eating them. I just need to check portion size. They are very calorie dense, and I confess to being very greedy were they are concerned. Perhaps check you are not having too much of them, @Sixpence? I find the myfitnesspal app useful too.

Reactions: Sixpence

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

take care of the brazil nuts and don´t get over 4 nuts a day as then you could get a selenium poisoning.. it is healthy when only eating like 4 a day..nuts are really fat 4 brazil nuts are 100 calories and if a woman wants to loose weight she must many times get under 1600 calories a day.... that would be like 64 brazil nuts :)

when one do go very low carb one loose a lot of fluid, as carb bind fluid in the body, going very low carb then one need to drink a little bit more daily and also get a little more salt like half a teaspoon more daily...

maybe you lost that much initially because of a bit loss of bodyfluid as well, a great weight loss is considered around 1,5 pound a week and excellent when one can loose 2 pounds a week.. and most have a week or two in between where they don´t loose at all

Last edited:
Reactions: AM1874 and Sixpence

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
My weight can fluctuate by about 4 pounds in a day - depending on how much and what I have eaten the night before - and needing a bathroom break! Always try to weigh yourself at the same time of the day each day. You'll get a more accurate picture of where you are. My weight loss has slowed now - I do remember what it was like at first though - feeling off colour for a few days - its like getting unhooked from an addiction - sad to say - carbs are very addictive. Hoping you feel better soon.

Reactions: Freema and Sixpence

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My fats come from a whole avocado a day divided into 3 meals, a FEW nuts or like pipp I gain, I'm a mayo junky and make mayo based dips/ sauces/dressings, olive oil and olives. As well as fatty fish like salmon and tuna ( with mayo) and other proteins like eggs, chicken thighs, rare lean beef or lamb.
I keep dairy fat and saturated fat low. But that's my choice. Bs stays better too keeping those low. I prefer mono fats as stated above. I don't gob anything. Just normal amounts

Reactions: Pipp and Sixpence

Sixpence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, thank you for all your comments. I think I've been eating too many nuts because i would always have a large handful and then nibble some more. I'm going to try more oil, probably as mayo, and i'm not sure I'm getting enough salt. I'll also keep an eye on the amount of dairy i eat. I've signed up for the low carb programme but i'm only on week 3 and it feels like slow progress. I'm also looking at the DietDoctor.com website which seems very informative. I am hopeful now that i'm just experiencing a grotty day today and that it will pass. Thanks for all your support :)

Reactions: Pipp and Ultramum

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi everyone, thank you for all your comments. I think I've been eating too many nuts because i would always have a large handful and then nibble some more. I'm going to try more oil, probably as mayo, and i'm not sure I'm getting enough salt. I'll also keep an eye on the amount of dairy i eat. I've signed up for the low carb programme but i'm only on week 3 and it feels like slow progress. I'm also looking at the DietDoctor.com website which seems very informative. I am hopeful now that i'm just experiencing a grotty day today and that it will pass. Thanks for all your support :)
Hi @Sixpence .. you'll find that the Diet Doctor programme pushes things more than the Low Carb .. depends what you want really but the "target carbs" on DietDoctor are quite a bit lower at 20-30grams/day (125-150 on Low Carb programme). Also note the Diet Doctor advises extra preparation eg: doctor's advice if:
# you are on medication for diabetes
# you are on medication for hugh blood pressure
# you are breastfeeding​
So, good luck ... hope this helps

Reactions: Sixpence