BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Re: Feels like a fly crawling on my leg

A Diabetic, especially Type 2, will experience all manner of feelings particularly in the legs. From one extreme, that being severe cramp, through to burning sensations and 'restless leg syndrome'. These problems have to be lived with but some palliative measures are available but no real cures. Those with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) will have their symptoms greatly emphasized. In the poster's case - if the condition has been well established over a few months, then this will surely be due to Diabetic Neuropathy where the surface blood vessels have difficulty returning blood flow. If it's of any comfort, I have experienced extreme symptoms but am still alive to tell the tale knowing that matters could be far worse.

Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

cott97 said:
Well at least I know I'm not going mad! Many thanks :)

Just the same mention it to your doctor, could be a skin allergy or something unrelated to diabetes.

StephenM

If the skin is dry in the affected area a good moisturiser may help.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Prior to my diagnosis about a month ago (T1) I was experiencing all sorts of cramping in my legs and also twitching of muscles, crawling feelings etc, but it's been much better with virtually no cramps since my sugars have been under better control.

You don't mention what kind of levels you're at when you get these symptoms, or are you not measuring.

seaspray1998

Cath

You MUST insist on getting your doctor to refer you to a neurologist - what you are suffering are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.

There are also many variations of it.

Do see yr doctor and dont let them dismiss you as a hysterical female.

Best wishes,
Ania

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

I had this sensation 13 years ago. It didn't bother me, but I went to the Dr & he suspected diabetes - diabetic peripheral neuropathy, subsequently confirmed, with an initial HbA1c of 11. (Nov. 2000) An aspect of the sensation was that I could be lying on my back, & my wife would snuggle up to me, press her knee into my thigh causing considerable discomfort. Controlling diabetes using the DUK high carb, low fat diet did not help, and a range of symptoms developed. In May 2008 I changed to the Low carb, increased fat diet recommended by many on this forum, my control improved and ALL the symptoms disappeared within about 3 months.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

cott97 said:
Does anyone else get a feeling of flies crawling on their legs when they're not? If so is it related to diabetes?

Cath

Hi It could be diabetes related like a neurology problem or RLS Restless leg Syndrome( Ekbom syndrome), which I have. It only normally happens when the person is very relaxed, sleepy or has a low or even a high blood sugar. If it is all time,then it's probably not RLS, some people have the sensation of ants running up their legs.

Go to your GP for some help and advice and I hope you can find out what it is and then hopefully some relief .

Good luck RRB

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks to everyone. I'm a newly diagnosed T2 (diet only) with an HBA1c of 48 (new money!). I do have a history of severe cramp and carpal tunnel for which 3 operations have failed. There is family history of poor circulation so I will make a GP appointment especially as my blood sugars have been high for me the last 2 weeks - struggling to get below 9 fasting and hitting highs of 19 after food

Glad I asked the question