Fell off the wagon

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello folks, it has been a very long time since I last posted here, I was doing so well lost a lot of weight and brought my Hba1c down to almost normal. However I fell off the wagon, a lot of factors contributed to this. I am a full time carer and my elderly mum was living on her own, so we moved into a 2 bed flat over a year ago but that is when the problems began. The neighbours are extremely noisy and both me and mum cant get any sleep unless we wear ear plugs. I don't do this though as I have no way of hearing mum if she needs something, the stress of this current situation has effected us both.

I am now almost back to the same weight as I was when I first got diagnosed and have been borderline depressed. The situation has improved now, we are at the top of the housing waiting list for another flat in a better block, this time I have done my research and I am confident that the block we have applied for is way better. Add to this that a tenant has submitted his notice in our desired block, so in two or three weeks we could be moving into a better place. We can see light at the end of the tunnel, usually moving is a stressful thing, but I can tell you, it's something that we both are looking forward too.

Currently my diabetes management has suffered a great deal, my weight has increased and now I feel those familiar signs, Hunger/thirst, tiredness to the point of napping, sweating from what I am sure is sugar spikes. I had my Hba1c a couple of months ago and I never even bothered asking what it was. However, it is now time to start taking control again, I have signed up for the Type 2 testing program and will start afresh as soon as it gets here. I do have an old code free meter which I will use until the new meter gets here. Currently my diabetes is controlled by diet only, I have a feeling this may change if I don't pull my socks up and get cracking.

Wish me luck, and apologies for the long winded post.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, welcome back and well done. It''s easy to fall off the wagon (I know) but the brave bit is clambering back on, especially with the sort of difficulties you're facing. Hope you find a nice quiet place. Meanwhile I'm sure you know the drill so stick around.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks Deejay,
I have a friend in the block we are going to move too, I have visited at various times over the last few months, and talked to a few of the tenants, who seem to like it, so roll on moving. Yep I think I remember the drill, pin cushion finger syndrome and writers cramp from food diary.... fond memories :p

Jim

Reactions: 5 people

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I weighed myself for the first time in about a year. My weight now sits at 174.6lbs, which is still about 10lbs less than when I was originally diagnosed. Tomorrow I start the testing regime with my old meter, untill the new one gets here.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back :)...I don't know you yet but appreciate the awful time you have been going through and how hard it has made things for you and your Mum. Hopefully the impending move will make life happier for both of you. Get your tush back on the wagon and things will soon get back to a manageable level again:) Welcome to finger prick central.....:)

Reactions: 11 people

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks, started this morning with a fasting BG of 5.8 which is higher than i was but not as bad as I was expecting, the real test will be after each meal. I am not a typical breakfast eater but I may have to rethink that.

Jim

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, started this morning with a fasting BG of 5.6 which is higher than i was but not as bad as I was expecting, the real test will be after each meal. I am not a typical breakfast eater but I may have to rethink that.

Jim
That's not a bad result at all :) Not sure if it will apply to you but I personally find that a breakfast of protein (in the form of a couple of eggs scrambled and cooked in butter) usually keeps my BG lower for the whole day

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I love eggs in all forms (apart from raw) I used to have a boiled egg at night instead of crisps lol, but the side effect is pushing up cholesterol the statins can take care of that now :p

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love eggs in all forms (apart from raw) I used to have a boiled egg at night instead of crisps lol, but the side effect is pushing up cholesterol the statins can take care of that now :p
Hmmm well the new thinking on eggs is that they don't affect cholesterol as they were supposed to so not too much to worry about it seems ( unless they change their minds again of course lol )

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hmmm well the new thinking on eggs is that they don't affect cholesterol as they were supposed to so not too much to worry about it seems ( unless they change their minds again of course lol )
Brilliant, so its a win win for me then :p
Jim

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat loads of eggs and have stopped taking statins to see what happens so if you don't hear from me in a month or two you'll know it's all gone wrong :facepalm: Just joking, I hope.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Were you eggsadurating there :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Out of curiosity I phoned my gp reception to get my last HbA1c which was checked in may but I never recorded it, 42.1, so despite gaining most of the weight I lost, the HbA1c has not changed very much... interesting.

Jim

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My fingers are crossed for you that you get the best move for you and your mother. That level of long term stress mentally and physically, is life sapping. So I will raise a glass for you later, to encourage you on this part of your journey.
Take courage.
G-C.

Reactions: 4 people

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thank you for your kind words, we can see light at the end of the tunnel so we are prepared to tough it out until we get the move confirmed which should be a couple of weeks away, then maybe another week to move in properly.

Jim