Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wasn't sure where to post this or even if I should but here goes.

As some of you may know I suffer with sacral sciatica which is inoperable. The consultant anaesthetist that I see has told me that eventually I will become urinary incontinent (yeah, nice). Because of this I am very aware of any changes in that area. Anyway, I seem to have, at the moment, the opposite problem in that I find it difficult to void steadily or fully so I have been searching t'web and stumbled on Female Urinary Voiding Dysfunction. There are a few causes one of which is... yes, you guessed it, Diabetic neuropathy. I think my problem is one of the other causes (nerve damage per sciatica) but I thought I would put the info here for others to be aware that avoiding neuropathy caused by uncontrolled bg is extremely important not only for limbs, eyes and kidneys and liver.

Sorry for the tmi but if embarrassing aspects are put into community awareness then open discussions become less erm... embarrassing.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair play to you, gal - perhaps TMI, but until we evolve bodies that don't produce waste, this stuff needs to be dealt with. Especially as - quite often - what our bodies get rid of is the more interesting part for testing and whatnot*. There's no point going "Eeew, gross!" and forcing your mind onto something else - we're all here because we have diabetes in some form or another - or know someone who does - and, therefore at the very minimum, we should be paying attention to our pee.

Frankly, I'm terrified of incontinence. All the other stuff that comes with age (and gravity) don't fuss me at all. But the notion of losing control completely... I'm unable to process that thought down to something manageable and reasonable. I literally have nightmares about it.

I'm right with you, Guzzler, broken back and all <3

*Imagine Euan's delight when, at 8, he learned that his home town of Bristol is responsible for the way medics grade poop. No pictures or links, but it's called "The Bristol Stool Scale". He was so proud of this that he got a Bristol Stool Scale mug for Xmas that year. Ridiculous boy.

Reactions: Alison Campbell