Fenofibrate??

trand

Hi all I think I have already answered my own question, by looking on here but I'll ask all the same, I have been on statins twice, and boy oh boy did i suffer could barely walk 20yds without back/leg pain, so stopped them, and recovered, my gp has now given me fenibrate, I am reluctant to take them, are they just the same as all the other statins?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Fenofibrate (Supralip) is not a statin. It is a Lipid modifying drug which acts mainly by decreasing serum triglycerides. They have variable effects on LDL-cholesterol. Although it can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease events in those with low HDL-cholesterol or with raised triglycerides, a statin should be used first.

Fibrates are first-line therapy only in those whose serum-triglyceride concentration is greater than 10 mmol/litre OR in those who cannot tolerate a statin.

I have been on this drug 160mg once daily for a long time with no ill effects whatsoever. Quite the reverse it has helped (along with Atorvastatin) to keep all my Lipid levels within tolerances......... :)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I dont know why bot I am intolerrent to statins, I was put on Fibrates which made my moods violent.
Is this normal :?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Brava210 said:
I dont know why bot I am intolerrent to statins, I was put on Fibrates which made my moods violent.
Is this normal :?:

Which of the Fibrates were you on ?

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken, Thanks for that description of what Fenofibrate does. I've been on it and Atorvastatin for years now too with no ill effects from either, and my lipids are in good shape and improving with the low carb/low fat way of eating.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had BAD reactions to statins. Fenofibrate works well, with no side effects in my case. I'm on the higher dose micronised capsules.

They seem to do the trick...