Few Questions

Type of diabetes
Researcher
How would a type 2 diabetic gain weight if not on insulin? Let's assume that one has type 2 diabetes, however, he or she does not measure their blood sugar or go to the doctor. How would one gain weight ( I mean more muscle as in body building type of perspective)? Because let's say you can control your blood sugar by fasting, low carb and stuff like that right? But, that would mean you wouldn't be able to bulk that good. I mean is there any way to bulk up a lot and build muscle without taking prescription medication or insulin?

I mean in this sense, you would never be able to compete with someone who is working out just as much as you and everything but, your at a HUGGE disadvantage because you have type 2 diabetes. Anyone on here who's into bodybuilding, has type 2 diabetes and doesn't take medical drugs?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The weight gain associated with insulin is fat - the glucose is removed from blood, stored either for instant access in the liver as glycogen or shifted into fat reserves. Low carbing and exercise would lower glucose resistance if my own experience is anything to go by, so giving almost normal reactions to meals of whatever amounts of carbs your metabolism can cope with plus fat and protein. The fat and protein parts of the metabolism aren't broken - so wouldn't you be able to work with them as normal?

Reactions: Freema
Type of diabetes
Researcher
Yes but you can only eat limited amount of carbs. Low carbing would make you skinny. Primary weight gain/muscle gain comes from carbs.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Also lets say the person does build a lot of muscle. This would mean you would need to eat more JUST to maintain it. So, gaining from that point on would be way harder because of type 2 diabetes because you would need to eat more carbs.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2's at least initially have way too much insuline But the muscle cells won't let the insuline open the celldoor so the cells are kind of starving and not letting nutrients in too ...that is one theory of what can be happening. There is so much guesswork in how the complex internal dynamic is in type 2 diabetics. What is known for sure is that the way insuline should work it doesn't
Then one should Think that maybe one couldn't store fat But that is obviously not a problem to most type 2 on a non regulated diabetic situation and also even far too easy for the many that do try hard to both keep their numbers down and keep their weight down.

And even though the whole blood sugar issue do raise insuline many times very often 7-10 the levels non diabetics have , it is by the way still possible to create new musclemass and by that lowering insuline resistance with as much as 30%. Why these new made musclecells can take insuline I really don't know why when the whole picture otherwise seems to be integrede by massive insuline resistance ...

The difference in What troubbles the individual has with his diabetes or her diabetes is also hard to explain so maybe there is really not only a simple mechanism gone wrong or wrongly programmer by wrong levels of signaling matters

But well it does pay to build muscle mass to an optimal level But maybe not to more than What one is able to sustain. So go for it if you can, and if not in any other way Then it can actually also be done in ones spitting room with a few weights and a treadmill

I do fine without sugar and insuline affecting medication even when excercising for many hours like 5.5 hours at a time

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also lets say the person does build a lot of muscle. This would mean you would need to eat more JUST to maintain it. So, gaining from that point on would be way harder because of type 2 diabetes because you would need to eat more carbs.

You dont need to eat more carb you can just ADD more fats and more proteins

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but you can only eat limited amount of carbs. Low carbing would make you skinny. Primary weight gain/muscle gain comes from carbs.

Not all go skinny on low carbs it all depends on the person and on the amount also of the collected number of calories
And some will be able from the lowered insuline resistance to eat a few more carbs on a Daily basis

If one is in soltimer ketosis there is some insuline resistance build into that chemical condition in the body and then one will maybe not know of the lowered insuline resistance aquired from the gained new musclemass

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This guy has been on a ketogenic/low carb diet for about 10 years - does he look like he has problems gaining muscle? (He's a well-known researcher into ketones and the therapeutic ketogenic diet - Dr Dominic D'Agostino - check out his talks & interviews on Youtube.)

b88oeh.jpg

b88oeh.jpg

Here's a talk by one of his associates on the subject of keto and body-building:

Type of diabetes
Researcher
How do you know hes not on juice? 2ndly it would be pretty hard to do a ketogenic diet if your a vegan and bulk on top of that. What are your guys thoughts on bulking with just beans and almond milk? But, beans have carbs so idk how that would work.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut the carbs, upped the protein and up the resistance training BMI down to 22, but no muscle waste

Reactions: bigjim19

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out Jason Wittrock he's a ketogenic bodybuilder.. yes he eats meat but also shedloads of nuts and avocados etc...
I think you will find that protein builds muscle not carbs..

Reactions: jonbvn

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's complicated. Is it required to choose? What if I am no diagnosed but, I think I have type 2? I don't want to go in this too much.

You don't have to say if you don't want to, of course, but if you think you may have diabetes then you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. They can do a simple test and that will give you the information you need. They can also rule out other conditions - which, again, is very wise.

That would give you a definite answer and remove any guesswork or assumptions, allowing you to move forward with the appropriate information. If you were to have diabetes, it would also ensure you received the necessary screening to check your eyes, kidneys, etc, and ongoing monitoring.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not sure many of those have Type 2 though...
True, but I imagine with little visceral fat and so much muscle mass, insulin resistance would be less of a problem compared to a mere mortal like myself :)

I am not a body builder, by the way lol

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Yes but, in order to grow wouldn't you need more calories? For type 2 diabetes is it just bad to get high carbs but, you can have high calorie?!?

Btw: Are Complex Carbs from foods such as beans also bad??

Last edited: