FGT v OGTT

Karo

I'm in need of some advice. I frequently fall fast asleep after eating something sugary, eg ice-cream, chocolate etc, and I find it very hard to wake up (it's like I'm surfacing through a fog). This has been going on for around 4 years now. It generally happens in the evening (I don't eat chocolate etc during the day) but can happen during the day too if I eat something sugary. My GP did a FGT in 2008 which came back negative. This is good but the problem is still with me. A year on, given as I'm still falling aleep, I spoke to my local pharmacist (I didn't want to trouble my GP); they said that it was not natural for me to fall asleep like this and that the problem might not be with my fasting blood sugar levels but that I might have impaired glucose tolerance. They told me to ask my GP for an OGTT. I did and he refused. He said that, if I had pre-diabetes / Type 2, then it would show via the FGT. He did a second FGT. Again, it's come back negative. But I still have the falling asleep problem. My only other "symptom" is that I am frequently thirsty.

Who is correct ? My GP or my pharmacist ? If the latter, can I insist my GP does an OGTT ? My local health food shop suggested I try Chromium to try and stablise my blood sugar levels. I've been taking Chromium for around a month now and it seems to be working - I am not falling asleep nearly as much, I have more energy etc. However, if there is any chance that I could be (pre-)diabetic, then I feel I ought to know.

All (any ?) advice much appreciated.
Karo