Final choice

albannach2

Hi
Ive been reading the posts on the pump forum with great interest and its been good to see which ones seem to work better than others, however who has the final choice of pump if your health authority are paying for it? I am going to see my consultant next week to talk about the options available, but basically don't want to have to have the one they suggest, if it wouldn't work with my lifestyle etc. Who has the final say, do you know?

bonerp

you should! You're the one that will live with it.

However like my local NHS I guess they have preferred partners. Mine worked well with Roche so had the spirit pump. Its also the smallest and lightest pump which attracted me. Doesnt have the bolus wizard but basic maths isnt a challenge even for me!

albannach2

Hi, yes indeed, in an ideal world I would hope it was up to the patient, but knowing how the NHS usually works you have to like it or lump it. Just trying to use to all these new terms, excuse my ignorance, but whats a bolus wizard?

bonerp

I would hasten to add Roche pumps arent 6 years behind the others! They make it clear they dont add bolus wizards etc to confuse new users early on - not all patients are able to utilise the extra stuff. If you want this extra functionality you will receive their PDA for free with it already installed. I actually think that is a much better deal as the PDA is also a blackberry type mobile phone which will read Aviva blood test meters and offer lots of different reports. Other pumps need this info downloading to PCs and I'm not aware what other blood test meters are compatible with other manufacturers pumps?

Roche is a complete solution and can estimate average BGs and shows how to bring down those times of the day where you might have less well controlled.

Secondly I have received excellent customer service especially when I managed to break my pump and attempt to set up the spare (which you wont get with anyone else!) whilst drunk at 11.30 at night lol!

Consumables arrive next day and any technical support is always on hand.
Paul