Finally know what I'm entitled to!!

M

mrspuddleduck

So I'm not entitled to benefits, have to buy over half my lancets and test strips despite being on insulin, never likely to get to see a podiatrist BUT... Today Tescos gave me two free carrier bags to put my prescription in!! Do you think I've unfairly added to the country's welfare bill crisis. Should I fess up and pay the government the 10p? :p:D:D

Reactions: 11 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, definitely!

Evading paying taxes, is what this government's friends is somewhat a 'must'!

Reactions: 6 people

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prescription medicine is exempt from the plastic bag charge. As are a few other obvious things.

Reactions: 10 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Here in Scotland where we've had the charge for a couple of years now, most shops/firms charge for paper bags as well as for plastic ones eg mcDonalds and the local chippie. Never ones to miss an opportunity! !

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So I'm not entitled to benefits, have to buy over half my lancets and test strips despite being on insulin, never likely to get to see a podiatrist BUT... Today Tescos gave me two free carrier bags to put my prescription in!! Do you think I've unfairly added to the country's welfare bill crisis. Should I fess up and pay the government the 10p? :p:D:D
You need to talk to your GP about your test strips. They can not prescribe a life threatening drug (insulin) and not give you the tools to administer the dosage. Personally I would class that as negligent on the GP's part.

Reactions: 10 people

Jennofspades

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes

Why isn't is free? i thought we all got free prescriptions?

M

mrspuddleduck

Why isn't is free? i thought we all got free prescriptions?

You can only get free prescriptions for things that are actually prescribed!!! So for example my GP prescribes me 100 test strips per month - that's approx 3 and a bit a day. Bit I have brittle insulin dependent diabetes so have to test around 8+ times a day so have to buy the extra! It is not uncommon!!!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can only get free prescriptions for things that are actually prescribed!!! So for example my GP prescribes me 100 test strips per month - that's approx 3 and a bit a day. Bit I have brittle insulin dependent diabetes so have to test around 8+ times a day so have to buy the extra! It is not uncommon!!!

this doesn't seem right to be honest.....

i am type one, not brittle, pumping and I test between 8-10 times a day.......i get 100 strips each time i ask for some, but there is no limit, as yet, to how many times i can get them in a month.....

have you been told no? have you asked for more?

i just cant see how a type one, especially with brittle diabetes, can be made to pay for test strips......shocking...

Reactions: 4 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The text below is copied and pasted from the NICE guidelines 2015.

Self-monitoring of blood glucose

Frequency of self‑monitoring of blood glucose

1.6.10 Advise routine self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for all adults with type 1 diabetes, and recommend testing at least 4 times a day, including before each meal and before bed. [new 2015]

1.6.11 Support adults with type 1 diabetes to test at least 4 times a day, and up to 10 times a day if any of the following apply:

At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive)

• the desired target for blood glucose control, measured by HbA1c level (see recommendation 1.6.6), is not achieved
  • the frequency of hypoglycaemic episodes increases
  • there is a legal requirement to do so (such as before driving, in line with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency [DVLA] At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive)
  • during periods of illness
  • before, during and after sport
  • when planning pregnancy, during pregnancy and while breastfeeding (see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy)
  • if there is a need to know blood glucose levels more than 4 times a day for other reasons (for example, impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia, high‑risk activities). [new 2015]
10.6.12 Enable additional blood glucose testing (more than 10 times a day) for adults with type 1 diabetes if this is necessary because of the person's lifestyle (for example, driving for a long period of time, undertaking high‑risk activity or occupation, travel) or if the person has impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. [new 2015]

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I believe @noblehead has a useful, proforma letter, to present to your GP in such circumstances.

Noblehead, sorry to pull you in, but I can't find any links to the document I've seen you distribute in the past. Thanks in anticipation.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
M

mrspuddleduck

Thank you loads everyone. I know its wrong, its been an ongoing discussion believe me! I also have the same problem with lancets, have to buy my own vit D (used to get free vit D injections but were stopped due to cost despite blood showing Im chronically deficent) and worst of all they have now cut the amount of Creon from 600 tabs a month to 450 which means I have to limit the amount I can eat (malabsorption and chronically underweight!). Not the first time this has happened, good news is I see consultant in November who will send snotty letter (again) and things may get back to (my) normal again.. Problem is they have never had anyone 'like me' and can't get their heads round it at all!!! Sue xx

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @mrspuddleduck

I do not have diabetes!

Keep get my test strips on prescription.

What I did is get my consultant to write a request to your GP.
That's what worked for me.

I used to test at least nine times a day, but have eased off after a couple of years experience, experimenting and excessive efficiency in my meals.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @mrspuddleduck

I do not have diabetes!

Keep get my test strips on prescription.

What I did is get my consultant to write a request to your GP.
That's what worked for me.

I used to test at least nine times a day, but have eased off after a couple of years experience, experimenting and excessive efficiency in my meals.

Hi @nosher8355 , that is exactly my plan! They have had to do it before with my old GP, who refused to prescribe my insulin because he said I was too old to develop type 1 and that type 3c didn't exist!! So quick change of GPs who I have to say are generally very good but have never come across someone like me and I do believe are just being over cautious! It's like with the Creon, they can't get there heads around the fact I need so many pills!! So Pancreatic consultant in November who I've been seeing for years and I know he will sort it out for me (fingers crossed!!) Local Diabetic consultant has never 'dealt with' a type 3c either!!! Oh the joys :banghead: :) :D Sue xxx

soconfused

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to talk to your GP about your test strips. They can not prescribe a life threatening drug (insulin) and not give you the tools to administer the dosage. Personally I would class that as negligent on the GP's part.
My GP Surgery says the government/NHS? only allows one tub of strips. BUT, if you are having difficulty controlling your BG they have to give you a lot more. Enougb to test when you wake up, before and after each meal and at bedtime, about three tubs :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nosher8355 , that is exactly my plan! They have had to do it before with my old GP, who refused to prescribe my insulin because he said I was too old to develop type 1 and that type 3c didn't exist!! So quick change of GPs who I have to say are generally very good but have never come across someone like me and I do believe are just being over cautious! It's like with the Creon, they can't get there heads around the fact I need so many pills!! So Pancreatic consultant in November who I've been seeing for years and I know he will sort it out for me (fingers crossed!!) Local Diabetic consultant has never 'dealt with' a type 3c either!!! Oh the joys :banghead: :) :D Sue xxx

The longer the time I spend on this forum, the more I realise, the extraordinary uniqueness of the diversity of blood glucose disorders on top of the hormonal imbalance of the endocrine system.
And how much impact the food that we eat has on these 'problems'!

And yet, the health care industry try to group us together as if what will work for you will work for me!

Crazy!

But! @mrspuddleduck , you and I are weird!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you loads everyone. I know its wrong, its been an ongoing discussion believe me! I also have the same problem with lancets, have to buy my own vit D (used to get free vit D injections but were stopped due to cost despite blood showing Im chronically deficent) and worst of all they have now cut the amount of Creon from 600 tabs a month to 450 which means I have to limit the amount I can eat (malabsorption and chronically underweight!). Not the first time this has happened, good news is I see consultant in November who will send snotty letter (again) and things may get back to (my) normal again.. Problem is they have never had anyone 'like me' and can't get their heads round it at all!!! Sue xx

If your surgery are effectively categorising you in their "too difficult" file, then I would ask the Consultant if he can make it clear what must not be changed, without a clear, written directive from him, or you. If he does that, and you receive a copy of his letter (which routinely happens where I live), you can always present it, if you need to.

Looking at the link @Ambersilva sent you, I would be confident those lancets would work in the Codefree lancing machine. Most of the lancing machine I have seen seem pretty accommodating to other manufacturer's lancets.

Good luck with it all. It's hard enough without having managing an already complex situation made even more tricky to manage.