First Appointment with Dietitian

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So next thursday I am going to be seeing a dietitian for the first time since being diagnosed last October after having to reschedule 2 appointments in the last 2 months due to Uni commitments and I am feeling a bit nervous to be honest as I had my only sugar test kit took away from me and I haven't been able to afford one when I saw my doctor he said that I lost 5 pounds over xmas as I was 23 stone 3 pounds before, but that was at the start of last month.

I have not been able to tell if I have lost more weight (even though my mum says that I could be able to tell if my clothes are baggy) and in the past week I have been told that I have coke zero problem as I have brought in to uni a 2 litre bottle of coke zero all week, but i explained to him that it was the same 2 litres that I've had all week.

Anyways I just want some thoughts of what to expect when seeing the dietitian and to see if I could join a weight loss program or course to help me along.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely no need to be nervous since it is a painless experience. My dietitian had a preconceived notion of what she thought I should be doing and she wrote it on an action plan. It said I should exercise more and eat carbohydrates at every meal. I have forgotten what the third thing was.

She tried to explain food with an analogy about doggies and bunnies chasing each other and I glazed over. My family used to race greyhounds and her doggies and bunnies were not as I knew them.

I filed the action plan somewhere.

She asked if I needed another appointment and I said that's ok thanks.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Unlike Squire Fulwood I had a very enlightening appointment with a dietician who was very knowledgeable and was absolutely fine with my low carb diet in fact the only negative comment she made was that I should eat more oily fish but thats never going to happen as I dont actually like oily fish.

I do eat carbs with every meal though but only in portions that dont affect my bg too much, I do suspect that some people misinterpret the advice to eat carbs with every meal, they seem to forget the advice to "diet" and "loose weight" and just focus on the "eat carbs" bit.

So go with an open mind and learn from it what you can :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, in response to the coke zero problem i would say whoever told you, you have a problem has a manners zero problem and a full fat mind your own business problem, sorry, it just brings up memories of the "gentleman" on a checkout in asda telling me i shouldnt let me daughter eat so much, when he had no idea about the medical condition she has making her heavy. :x

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its nowt to worry about, I went a few weeks ago however it was a group meeting and whilst the message wasn't too bad, she went on about portion control and reducing carbs there was the usual 'numpty' there who thought it was all a bit of a joke.

I was given lots of info to take away including info about fitness and exercise. We are quite fortunate in Wales as there are a few schemes that entitle us to free gym membership and the like. There also appears to be a great support group in my area which puts on bi-monthly meetings covering various diabetes related topics.

I am sure you will benefit from your meeting and see if you can have a regular appointment with the nurse in your surgery who can monitor your weight loss. Let us know how you get on.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today I am going to see the dietitian and actually feeling good about it. I am thinking of asking her if I could do a low carb diet or the newcastle diet as I have read it and it sounds really good to lose weight. I am also going to ask her about exercise routines and what I should do. Also shall I try and press on to get a blood glucose monitor kit as I haven't been able to check my blood sugars since February and I do not have the funds to buy one.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got back from speaking with the dietitian and have finally got the blood sugar testing kit and it all went pretty smoothly from then on.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You got a meter as well???? That's the second one I have heard about today. What is going on with the NHS.

andybrightman

I advise you that you must consider dietitian because, he helps you lot in your weight management programme. Even, I also believe that following a simple diet programme can be helpful to lose some weight. So, you don't need to be scared go through the dietitian and he gives you right suggestions for your health.