First attempt at Oopsie bread

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm missing eating bread so giving making some Oopsie bread a whirl.....it's in the oven as I type so fingers crossed it turns out yummy :D It's looking and smelling rather delicious so hoping for a good result :)

Result is...............absolutely delicious :D Will be making this again for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I'm missing eating bread so giving making some Oopsie bread a whirl.....it's in the oven as I type so fingers crossed it turns out yummy :D It's looking and smelling rather delicious so hoping for a good result :)

Result is...............absolutely delicious :D Will be making this again for sure
I too have just discovered oopsie bread. Don't like the taste cold but love it toasted with yummy things on like cream cheese, goats cheese, egg, the list goes on. Still miss the crunch of nice new bread but worth it for brill blood sugars and the beginnings of weight loss.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have just discovered oopsie bread. Don't like the taste cold but love it toasted with yummy things on like cream cheese, goats cheese, egg, the list goes on. Still miss the crunch of nice new bread but worth it for brill blood sugars and the beginnings of weight loss.
Now all of that sounds so yummy...I have yet to discover the delights of what to put on them but am sure the idea's will come ....plus I will borrow some of yours too ...thank you :D

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !

Havent tried it yet but will do, sounds lovely :)

Reactions: 2 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trust me ...it really is yummy :)....so quick to make too....barely 5 minutes plus cooking time...will be making more...the possibilities are endless with it :)
Was your recipe with or without the optional psyllium husk & baking soda? Just curious about the consistency.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was your recipe with or without the optional psyllium husk & baking soda? Just curious about the consistency.
Without the husk ...added baking powder and a pinch of salt....it had a souffle consistency at first when warm and was delicious and when it cooled it took on a more ''solid'' texture...still not bread but a pleasant alternative. I used 2 as a burger 'bun' and it held together enough to pick it up and eat it as I would a burger in the past....I will be making again and adding other things to see how flexible they can be

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you freeze them when you make them and also how do you get them to be less egg tasting

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you freeze them when you make them and also how do you get them to be less egg tasting
I haven't tried freezing them but have seen some say that they freeze okay...personally I dont think I would freeze them. I added some garlic salt to half the batch and they didnt taste as 'eggy'...if you think about it you could add a lot of herbs seeds or spices to change the flavour. I have some in the fridge and the texture is still soft and fluffy..I want to find a way to bulk them up a bit to make them a little more solid without adding carbs

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phoopsies (Pysllium Husk & Oppsie)

56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk
3 tsp Baking Powder
35g Melted Butter
6 lg Eggs
35g Soft Full Fat Cream Cheese
¼ tsp Cream of Tartare
Pinch Salt

Mix Ground Almond. Psyllium Husk, Baking Powder & Pinch of Salt together in a bowl
Beat eggs together with Cream of Tartare
Add dry ingredients to slowly to egg mix, add melted butter, and cream cheese, which
will probably go a little lumpy but it does five a good delicate flavour.

Spoon onto a tray to the size you want and cook at same temperature as for Oopsies
take around 30 minutes to cook.

I now use an electric Brownie maker, and get flat type 'bread' the above is enough for
3 loads, each making 3 slices which are now large enough for me and ... they don't
disintegrate like the original Oopsies.

The photo shows a BLT sandwich - which is divine. Makes a good pizza base, also great for
cheese and ham on toast, egg and bacon, breakfast lunch or dinner, oh the list i endless.

I use the same basic mix but add cocoa powder and Tevia/or/ Stevia or whatever ones choice,
and make small chocolate cakes and brownies, but I add 3 to 4 frozen blueberries once they
are in the moulds. Can of course be cooked in the oven.
I usually have two for breakfast, buttered and spread with full fat cream cheese. They are delicious.
And most important, they do not spike my BG one little bit.

It is best to freeze them if you won't be eating them within a couple of day, because they only
last a couple of days even in the fridge.
14 May 15 - BLT Phoopsie 6115.JPG

Reactions: 21 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phoopsies (Pysllium Husk & Oppsie)

56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk
3 tsp Baking Powder
35g Melted Butter
6 lg Eggs
35g Soft Full Fat Cream Cheese
¼ tsp Cream of Tartare
Pinch Salt

Mix Ground Almond. Psyllium Husk, Baking Powder & Pinch of Salt together in a bowl
Beat eggs together with Cream of Tartare
Add dry ingredients to slowly to egg mix, add melted butter, and cream cheese, which
will probably go a little lumpy but it does five a good delicate flavour.

Spoon onto a tray to the size you want and cook at same temperature as for Oopsies
take around 30 minutes to cook.

I now use an electric Brownie maker, and get flat type 'bread' the above is enough for
3 loads, each making 3 slices which are now large enough for me and ... they don't
disintegrate like the original Oopsies.

The photo shows a BLT sandwich - which is divine. Makes a good pizza base, also great for
cheese and ham on toast, egg and bacon, breakfast lunch or dinner, oh the list i endless.

I use the same basic mix but add cocoa powder and Tevia/or/ Stevia or whatever ones choice,
and make small chocolate cakes and brownies, but I add 3 to 4 frozen blueberries once they
are in the moulds. Can of course be cooked in the oven.
I usually have two for breakfast, buttered and spread with full fat cream cheese. They are delicious.
And most important, they do not spike my BG one little bit.

It is best to freeze them if you won't be eating them within a couple of day, because they only
last a couple of days even in the fridge.View attachment 13516
Omg that looks yummy and far more ''bread like'' than my original Oopsie....I need to try these :) thank you

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.
I use Flax meal instead of Psyllium husk when I make Foccacia, works ok.

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These look lovely! Do you use whole egg at once, not whisk up egg white?
I used to, but started using whole eggs for my Muffins, and found they came out even better than when separated, I started using it for my 'bread' replacement. It also makes it quicker to prepare than separating them, and gives a much better texture.
Caliban, Psyllium Husk is so very cheap to buy - cost me just over £8 for 1 Kg last year and still have more than enough left to last me until probably the end of next year.and it definitely give some bulk and helps take away the over eggy smell/taste. Only flax seed I bought was rank and that totally put me off it.

karencymru

Humblebee
I have just made your phoopsie bread, and think it turned out ok! The mixture was quite runny, so poured it into a baking tray, which I think was a bit big as the mixture spread quite thinly. Baked as per instructions and tastes good. Not risen much at all, but am at the end of a ton of baking powder, so will use new tub next time.
Tried a bit with cream cheese and really liked it, more 'substance' than my previous #oopsie !
Thanks again

Attachments

• 1432580802259.jpg
    1432580802259.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Humblebee
I have just made your phoopsie bread, and think it turned out ok! The mixture was quite runny, so poured it into a baking tray, which I think was a bit big as the mixture spread quite thinly. Baked as per instructions and tastes good. Not risen much at all, but am at the end of a ton of baking powder, so will use new tub next time.
Tried a bit with cream cheese and really liked it, more 'substance' than my previous #oopsie !
Thanks again
looks yummy :)

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Humblebee
Thanks again

Looking good, and you are welcome. I have to admit I did give up with baking them in a tray in the oven. My trays were all too large and like yours spread too thinly but tasted really good. In the end I bought an electric Brownie Maker, and get three loads out of it. Not too clever at judging the amount, so one is often thinner than the other two. I tried a little more ground almond, that didn't improve them, then used heaped teaspoons of psyllium husks, and that wasn't any better. Here's a couple of shots of what they turn out like from the Brownie Maker, and they only take 10-12 minutes to cook, and some Chocolate Buns. Regards ... Carol :)

Attachments

• 30 Mar 15 - Brownie Maker Bread 5683.JPG
    30 Mar 15 - Brownie Maker Bread 5683.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 30 Mar 15 - Brownie Maker Bread 5684.JPG
    30 Mar 15 - Brownie Maker Bread 5684.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 30 Mar 15 - Choc & BBerry Phoopsies 5677.JPG
    30 Mar 15 - Choc & BBerry Phoopsies 5677.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 371
Reactions: 6 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made @Humblebee 's phoopsies & had a similar issue re the consistency. I ended up adding quite a bit more psyllium husk (a couple a tablespoons from memory) until it felt right & they cooked up beautifully. I think I spread them a bit thin - will pile them up next time - but toasted one for a burger & it was fabulous. Can't imagine the extra fibre hurts at all & the texture was not unlike burgen soy & linseed without the seeds.

Thanks Humblebee :)

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made @Humblebee 's phoopsies & had a similar issue re the consistency. I ended up adding quite a bit more psyllium husk (a couple a tablespoons from memory) until it felt right & they cooked up beautifully. I think I spread them a bit thin - will pile them up next time - but toasted one for a burger & it was fabulous. Can't imagine the extra fibre hurts at all & the texture was not unlike burgen soy & linseed without the seeds.

Thanks Humblebee :)

You are very welcome. I would add a caution though, that it is wise to either limit the amount of psyllium husk, if not, you should drink plenty of water when you eat the phoopsies. The husks can absorb a fair amount of liquid and result in :
"Choking:
Taking this product without adequate fluid may cause it to swell and block your throat or esophagus and may cause choking. Do not take this product if you have difficulty in swallowing. If you experience chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty in swallowing or breathing after taking this product, seek immediate medical attention;"
If you leave the mix to stand for a short while it will absorb most of the liquid, but personally I would not try and use more than the three teaspoonfuls unless prepared to drink plenty of liquid with the end product. I did try it with 3 heaped teaspoonful and ended up constipated, that could be down to my internal system, and yours may be able to cope. But I am so glad that you are enjoying them.:joyful: I am going to add some sesame seeds to the top of my next batch, because I just love the flavour. Regards ... Carol :)

Reactions: 3 people