First day blood glucose testing

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Sorry, I know off topic, but I hope you're enjoying the product of your labour and your garden is settling down. :D

It is:) getting all snugly under the mulch for Winter!!

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I'm going to go with the low carb diet and keep my carbs to under 130g per day. Don't fancy the full fat approach with LCHF and I like fruit and veg, but will really following the BG meter for any specific foods to avoid.

I must say I'm quite positive with getting T2 as it was a shock at first,but it's the only thing to give me a kick up the backside to change my lifestyle for the better. As long as I avoid any complications long term, it may be the best think to happen to me as feel and look like I'm back in my teens.

BG yesterday - 4.8, 5.3, 5.6 5.8, 5.8
BG today - 4.6, 4.4, 4.6, 4.6, 5.6

I'm seeing doctor on Monday can anybody tell me what is the first trigger to start lowering the metformin dose or even stopping it?

Think I prefer to retain a minimum dose, but any benefit on changing dose?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is really not a good idea to try to do both low carb and low fat - for a start you want to keep your metabolism breaking down fat for energy, which can come from the diet or the body with little harm - the last thing you want is to train your body to break down proteins for energy - it could weaken both your skeletal muscles and such vital organs as your heart.
There is increasing evidence that the dangers of eating fat are about as truthful as the information that Dr Atkins died of a heart attack. There are also rigged experiments where people with a history of heart problems were asked to drink a large amount of heavy cream - it is a wonder that no one died, but several had angina attacks so proving that high fat diets are dangerous - yeah, right.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Think I'm going to go with the low carb diet and keep my carbs to under 130g per day. Don't fancy the full fat approach with LCHF and I like fruit and veg, but will really following the BG meter for any specific foods to avoid.

I must say I'm quite positive with getting T2 as it was a shock at first,but it's the only thing to give me a kick up the backside to change my lifestyle for the better. As long as I avoid any complications long term, it may be the best think to happen to me as feel and look like I'm back in my teens.

BG yesterday - 4.8, 5.3, 5.6 5.8, 5.8
BG today - 4.6, 4.4, 4.6, 4.6, 5.6

I'm seeing doctor on Monday can anybody tell me what is the first trigger to start lowering the metformin dose or even stopping it?

Think I prefer to retain a minimum dose, but any benefit on changing dose?

Your BGs for the last two days are spot on-I would take my meter or another record of what my readings have been to the appointment.Your doctor will be able to see that when he gets the HbA1c test results back but just in case he wants to increase your metformin dose thinking you are not at target-you can show him (or her). I do not know of any benefit of increasing the dose of metformin when your BG readings are right on target. The minimum dose of 500 mg 1x daily, I have heard, provides protection to your heart from the effects of diabetes.

A trigger to start lowering your dose would be if you are having low (below 4.0) fasting glucose readings or if you are not tolerating the dose you are on. Some people have gastrointestinal side effects on higher doses of metformin.
Again-Good job! You are doing great!

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Resurgam , how do you define low fat as today I had 110g for the day. Is this low?

I've been limiting saturated fat to under 30g and the rest from health fats is this the wrong approach?

Do you recommend high levels of saturated fat as this is very hard to get my head around and what would the figure be?

My protein is near 250g (at max limit), with these figure I'm in 500 calories deficit to my physical exercise for the day. This just about kept my carbs under 150g as too heavy handed with the scales. I try to ensure all meals and snacks have some of all 3 macros.

The plan is to get carbs to 100g for day and slightly increase health fats and retain protein at current levels or will have to reduce physical activities which I'm not keen on as really enjoying my fitness levels at moment.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't really advise on what your limits should be - I just eat the fats which come with the foods I select. you seem to be restricting all foods to levels I don't understand.

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think a better way to think of it is "low carb / healthy fat". There are plenty of athletes who eat this way - including my sister who competes in Ironman.

Check out some sites like "Mikes Daily Apple".

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Resurgam , how do you define low fat as today I had 110g for the day. Is this low?

I've been limiting saturated fat to under 30g and the rest from health fats is this the wrong approach?

Do you recommend high levels of saturated fat as this is very hard to get my head around and what would the figure be?

My protein is near 250g (at max limit), with these figure I'm in 500 calories deficit to my physical exercise for the day. This just about kept my carbs under 150g as too heavy handed with the scales. I try to ensure all meals and snacks have some of all 3 macros.

The plan is to get carbs to 100g for day and slightly increase health fats and retain protein at current levels or will have to reduce physical activities which I'm not keen on as really enjoying my fitness levels at moment.

From the reading I've done so far on the subject, it would seem that limiting saturated fat in favour of protein might not be the best plan. Also the evidence currently coming to light suggests that " healthy" fats may not necessarily be more healthy than non healthy fats - if by that you mean saturated fats from real food and that higher levels of Omega 3 versus Omega 6 ( closer to 1:1) might be more natural for the human body. I would limit " non healthy fats" - eg cooking oils like corn oil and transfats to zero.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/how-much-protein-is-excessive/