First ever insulin injection - please help!

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm type 1 and inject daily multiple times, here's a rhyme to help you out. New pen dial 10 (that's 10 units to clear air and get insulin coming out) every new needle dial 2 to check needle is not blocked or is engaged properly some needles need screwing on further than others.Try injecting either in stomach pinching an inch or in top of buttocks, inject slowly to avoid stinging.
Good luck it takes a while to get used to this like finger pricking you barely notice after a while.
Really helpful thanks x

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michelle,
A year ago I was put onto Victoza which is an injectable once a day for T2 patients. I am fairly lucky I have a bit of body fat to inject into but it is important to inject into a relaxed area the site needs to be as soft and loose and possible if you are injecting into your tummy relax and lean back. I bruise very easily and even a year on I still bruise myself if I forget. It sounds like you are 99% there in your technique you just need to find a site that is as soft as possible then you will not bruise or feel it. I do hope you can get on with this, most of the time I hardly think about it and it does't hurt at all If you feel it you are doing it wrong.

Good luck,
Cheers
Andy
Thanks for your support. I like the idea of finding somewhere a bit softer to inject. The bruising and marks are unexpected I must admit - i had no idea

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Michelle6557 - I'm not an insulin user, but from what I read, Absalagar, your insulin is "biosimilar" (explanation of biosimilar on this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosimilar) to an insulin called Lantus.

From time to time, posters have commented on Lantus stinging when they inject it. If that is of concern, it could be worthwhile having a chat about it with whomever prescribed it for you. They might suggest an alternative.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a whole lot to add to this topic that hasn't already been said.

I use Toujeo, and it also can burn more than my other insulin. I inject both Toujeo and Novorapid into my belly, but I'm also fat and have a lot of belly, so there hasn't been a need to inject elsewhere (yet).

One thing I do is lightly touch the needle to my skin. If it already hurts on top of the skin, I know I'll hit a nerve. If it doesn't hurt on the skin, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't hurt nor burn (as bad) when I inject. I don't know if this is because of my weight or not, but it's not uncommon for me to touch my belly with the needle in 5 different places before I find a spot that doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Ixarix

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a whole lot to add to this topic that hasn't already been said.

I use Toujeo, and it also can burn more than my other insulin. I inject both Toujeo and Novorapid into my belly, but I'm also fat and have a lot of belly, so there hasn't been a need to inject elsewhere (yet).

One thing I do is lightly touch the needle to my skin. If it already hurts on top of the skin, I know I'll hit a nerve. If it doesn't hurt on the skin, 9 out of 10 times it doesn't hurt nor burn (as bad) when I inject. I don't know if this is because of my weight or not, but it's not uncommon for me to touch my belly with the needle in 5 different places before I find a spot that doesn't hurt.
Thanks daftthoughts. I’m sure you’re not ‘fat’ as you say! I like the idea of testing with th needle for pain on the skin. Contact me anytime for a chat x

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again all.
So... 3 days in I think I’ve managed 2 successful injections. I only on basal.
Sadly there’s virtually no difference to my blood sugar readings-okay maybe about 20% down but certainly not where I wanted to be. I’ll give it until Monday morning and then speak to the nurse about whether or not we need to increase the dose.

I just want to say that the support and sense of community on this forum is wonderful for a new starter like me. I’ve been a member for a couple of years since I was diagnosed with type one Butbecause I haven’t needed any medication until now, I have stayed in the background. It would be great to have some advice from anyone about the best places to look on this forum for support around the early days of injecting and understanding carb counting and adjusting to the lifestyle changes night I havd to face in the coming months with a move to bolus . Thanks a lot X

Reactions: lou258

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound like you need some fast acting insulin . The insulin you’re injecting at the moment is really to keep you steady and stable when you’re not eating, so in between meals.
It shouldn’t hurt as much as it does either, only on occasion when you have hit a blood vessel. But I’ve never used the type of insulin you have nor the type of needle you’re using so it could be either or both!
How high is your blood glucose at the moment?

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fasting readings are between 12-17 and that is the same through the day. As I’m low carb, slim and my bs readings don’t change much during the day (probably due to my diet), the consultant wanted to start me on basal only to lower my background readings. She didn’t think I’d need bolus for quite a while. First step I guess is to get more basal.
I’ve had a few lower readings since started on 2 units a night 4 nights ago but not enough.
It may not help that I’m fighting a cold. !!

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You might be onto something with this... I know nerves are most sensitive to changes, so by resting the needle on your skin before piercing the skin, perhaps the nerves are desensitised?

Shiba.

Reactions: Michelle6557

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound like you need some fast acting insulin . The insulin you’re injecting at the moment is really to keep you steady and stable when you’re not eating, so in between meals.
It shouldn’t hurt as much as it does either, only on occasion when you have hit a blood vessel. But I’ve never used the type of insulin you have nor the type of needle you’re using so it could be either or both!
How high is your blood glucose at the moment?
My fasting readings are between 12-17 and that is the same through the day. As I’m low carb, slim and my bs readings don’t change much during the day (probably due to my diet), the consultant wanted to start me on basal only to lower my background readings. She didn’t think I’d need bolus for quite a while. First step I guess is to get more basal.
I’ve had a few lower readings since started on 2 units a night 4 nights ago but not enough.
It may not help that I’m fighting a cold. !!

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For 4 days my levels were never below 16. Then one day it just happened. I don't understand the science but changed my eating habits and my body liked it.

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your help and support. Tonight I did a large airshot to be on the safe side first and I think the injection went ok.
My dose is so small for now (2units of basal only), that it seems to be only a couple of drops - so there seems to be a large margin of error for not getting it all in!?

My needles are 4mm Omnivan fine in a KwikPen. Are they fairly modern and good?

I was specifically told that the latest research says not to pinch your skin. Thoughts?

Something I’m upset about which you may think daft, is that it hurts a lot more than I expected - particularly the stinging sensation which seems to last 20 minutes and the instant nasty red mark. Should I expect to look like a pin cushion within a few weeks? The consultants said injecting would be less of a big deal and less painful than testing. Can’t say that I agree so far!
When I first started to inject, my skin itched like crazy and it stung and caused bruising. After some time, it became less and less of a problem. Now I pinch up and rarely feel any stinging nor do I bruise to such a degree. Perhaps it was an allergic reaction that I was having. I am not a medical professional so can not speak as such, just noting my reactions. Your situation sounds similar to mine, so perhaps you will feel less sensation after your body gets adjusted to taking insulin. Like you, I am also very sensitive to small doses. My point being, I felt very overwhelmed at first with pain, bruising and discomfort, but that it does get better.