First hb1ac after diagnosis

Jamiedean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone first time I've posted just had my first hb1ac after finding out I had type 1 just befor Christmas, I had to ring up and get results as it was only done yesterday ut I didn't get chance to speak to the doctor my first test came up 103.1 if think, that's when I first found out. My new one was 53.1 is that a good drop over 3 months? And what more could I do to make it keep going down? Thanks a lot Jamie

Reactions: AM1874

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jamie! I'm T2 so slightly different, but I think your results seem pretty impressive. I was 102 at diagnosis and 7 months later was 52. Looks like you are going in the right direction!

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Jamiedean .. and welcome
Great results .. I also had my first readings today .. HbA1c down from 98 to 68 .. so we're both doing well ..

Reactions: Ultramum

Jamiedean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jamie! I'm T2 so slightly different, but I think your results seem pretty impressive. I was 102 at diagnosis and 7 months later was 52. Looks like you are going in the right direction!
Thanks I must be doing something right then Hope all stays good

Jamiedean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Jamiedean .. and welcome
Great results .. I also had my first readings today .. HbA1c down from 98 to 68 .. so we're both doing well ..
What diets are you's on? I just cut suger out pretty much all together. I keep my suger levels lowish so I can still have little snacks. I also make home made oat buscuits with some cherrys as a treat

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Jamiedean
I have been following LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) as a lifestyle .. not a diet. Have a read of the LCHF forum as a starting point and @daisy1 will be along soon with more information for you
Hope this helps for now

Jamiedean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I'll have a read I'm just waiting for my appointment to come I've seen the dieation she said just continue what I'm doing. I'm happy now I know I'm making progress. Thanks!!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
To start with I cut out refined sugar and followed the standard NHS/NICE 'Eat well Plate" and my BG did drop. But, after about 8 months I started seriously reducing carbohydrates and this reduced my BG further, and it's still steadily, though slowly, falling.
Carbohydrates in foods are converted to glucose during digestion, so you can still be ingesting 'sugars' even if you are thinking you are avoiding them. The 'sugars' on the 'traffic lights' on food packaging are not a good guide to how the food affects BG. You need to look at the carbohydrate content on the back of the packages.
You'll find many folk on here follow a LCHF (low carb, high fat diet), but we are all different and some folk can tolerate some foods better than others. It's all a process of trial and error until you learn what you can and can't eat, or perhaps what you should and shouldn't eat.

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg this predicated texting hi I don't understand your number s my first hba1c was 10 now it's 8.4

Reactions: Cath15

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50shadeshba1a-sml-1-jpg.17404

Reactions: Ultramum

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone first time I've posted just had my first hb1ac after finding out I had type 1 just befor Christmas, I had to ring up and get results as it was only done yesterday ut I didn't get chance to speak to the doctor my first test came up 103.1 if think, that's when I first found out. My new one was 53.1 is that a good drop over 3 months? And what more could I do to make it keep going down? Thanks a lot Jamie

it is a very fine drop pretty amazing too... keep on the good work

Reactions: AM1874

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What diets are you's on? I just cut suger out pretty much all together. I keep my suger levels lowish so I can still have little snacks. I also make home made oat buscuits with some cherrys as a treat

type 1 and type 2 are so different, type 2´s can really not eat any sugar (or not very many carbs ) which type 1 can when they dose their insuline right...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is 53 not a good number? I thought it was?
yes it is to a type 1 it is an amazing number . type 1´s need to be a little higher than type 2´s usually because it can be life threatening to get too low when one add insuline by injections.. so you can be very proud of your number many type 1 do not get that low.. but remember the risk of getting too low..
type 2´s who are not on insuline affecting medications can usually not go lifethreateningly low in blood glucose... well there are exceptions though