First provisional licence type 2 Diabetic HELP!!! Please

GreatGoku

I have sent for my first provisional licence and being the good citizen I am, I told DVLA I am indeed Type 2 Diabetic. I am 18 as of now and applied when I was 17 and I have waited 6+months and they sent a 'take a medical examination form with your GP' so I took the examination and everything turned out fine: my eyesight, weight everything really. My GP told me they will send it off within 2-3 days. Now I am an active teenager and I go to the GYM as it is one of my favourite things to do and I feel fine, the diabetes has not affected me since I got it because I have taken the metformin tablets and have been keeping active. I want to know once DVLA receive the form what are my chances of obtaining my provisional? Please if anyone has had to go through this it will greatly help me if you shared! Thanks!!

Effel

Should go through fine I did the same process although I am type 1 don't know if that makes a huge difference or not I'm afraid, but they may also get you to renew your license for the first couple of years (these rules may have changed since I got mine)

GreatGoku

Effel said:
Should go through fine I did the same process although I am type 1 don't know if that makes a huge difference or not I'm afraid, but they may also get you to renew your license for the first couple of years (these rules may have changed since I got mine)
Hey thanks a lot for replying! So did you get your licence after doing the examination and your doctor sent it off and then DVLA sent it through? No hassle? As in phone calls or more letters? Thanks again!

Effel

As long as all the forms are filled out correctly it will be as straight forward as that, they normally process it just as quick as every other application as well

GreatGoku

Thanks for replying! I really wanted to know what happens so I asked the forums. I really would like to drive as it is going to help my family a lot and I hope DVLA do send my provisional licence after they check te results of my medical examination and that it is fine, my GP said so and I also feel perfectly fine.

GreatGoku

))Denise(( said:
If you are not taking insulin and want to drive a car or motorcyle, the DVLA don't need to know https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving and https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... F188_2.pdf
Thank you! I did not know about this. So why did DVLA want me to take a medical examination with my doctor? I mean I said I am a type 2 diabetic and treat my diabetes with tablets, so if it says not to tell them why did they want me to take a examination? I now feel as though I have a better chance to receive my first provisional and be able to learn to drive :) Thanks Denise!

mya

They will definitely issue the provisional licence, they may ask you to renew it every three years instead of ten years

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad language; Bad manners; crumbs in the butter! Walking in the rain or high winds.
I was diagnosed 18th Dec 2013.. Yesterday my Metformin dose was doubled and is now 1x500mgs twice daily. The GP told me I must tell DVLA. However according to the advice and info in your post this would appear to be unnecessary as my diabetes is being treated with Metformin, therefor not insulin, and diet. I checked out the report at DVLA re driving and Type2 diabetes which confirms that it is not necessary to inform them. So what am I supposed to do?
Jumapi
Ps. I am now being referred back to my usual GP.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

GreatGoku

I still have not received my provisional it has been over 1yr which doesn't seem right.. They said its with their medical doctor and they are awaiting a decision. Is there anyway I can speed this up because a year is too long and they said 12 weeks an it has passed that date...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
write to your MP

denbo

Email Oliver Morley he's the chief executive there I did on how long they were takin bout my licence I got a email back aswell sayin they would look into things

GreatGoku

I
Email Oliver Morley he's the chief executive there I did on how long they were takin bout my licence I got a email back aswell sayin they would look into things
I emailed Oliver Morley, they said that they are going to do an investigation and then reply back to me. I also contacted my MP and they have written to DVLA and say they will write to me once DVLA respond to them. What should I do now? Any help is appreciated. When will I receive my provisonal? Will the MP writing help? If anyone does know people let me know. Been waiting over 1 year and they still delaying. I feel like because I'm a type 2 diabetic I am being treated unfairly...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Now you can wait - you will get an answer pretty fast. I expect it just got lost internally

GreatGoku

Now you can wait - you will get an answer pretty fast. I expect it just got lost internally
Thanks for response. So you mean they lost my application inside DVLA? I rang them and they say it has been very busy and they always say the same thing... We will write blah blah blah cannot give a time blah. I don't like DVLA! Treating diabetics unfairly!

denbo

Try diabetes uk they are very helpful I was I touch with them
Over my class one licence the DVLA don't rush themselves

GreatGoku

Try diabetes uk they are very helpful I was I touch with them
Over my class one licence the DVLA don't rush themselves
DVLA are a bunch of morons! I hate the lot. They're not helpful and extremely slow with simple applications. If I contact diabetes UK how can they help? I already contacted my MP does the MP not have more power over DVLA?=

Reactions: 2 people