First time eating out at a restaurant!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I thought I'd done well - BGL was 9 upon getting to bed.

Woke up at 2am and thought I'd test.... BGL - 24!
Remained that way until morning.

I don't know what they put in their food, but there were a lot more carbs than expected! It was Vietnamese - so carbs - noodles, rice, sauces that kind of thing. Maybe I got given real drinks instead of diet, although I'd think I would taste that.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I got given real drinks instead of diet, although I'd think I would taste that.

Sounds a likely culprit. These days I don't order sodas unless I can see the can or bottle that it comes out of.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over time it gets easier and you know what is the best for you to order. Trying and testing post meal is the best way to learn.

I've even discovered I enjoy a sneaky Nando's :) chicken thighs and breasts with hot sauce on!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I got given real drinks instead of diet, although I'd think I would taste that.

I think that would have a rather more immediate impact on your blood sugar, a not diet fizzy drink is a hypo treatment it won't wait 5 hours + to raise your blood sugar.

But if you had something fairly fatty, with complex carbs that could explain the delay in such a significant rise.

The other thing to check would be, after your night out, did you you remember to take your basal going to bed?

Reactions: zand

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the sauces in Vietnamese cooking will have a good amount of sugar in them even if they don't taste sweet
and as @catapillar says - fairly fatty , complex carbs would explain the delayed BG response.

I will normally split a dose for that type of meal and test loads

we do keep learning with this D - so well done to you for making the leap and eating out !!

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
So I thought I'd done well - BGL was 9 upon getting to bed.

Woke up at 2am and thought I'd test.... BGL - 24!
Remained that way until morning.

I don't know what they put in their food, but there were a lot more carbs than expected! It was Vietnamese - so carbs - noodles, rice, sauces that kind of thing. Maybe I got given real drinks instead of diet, although I'd think I would taste that.
Sauces, marinades etc. These will push you into the higher levels, so be careful. Many restaurants have no clue as to safe diabetic foods, so play it safe and keep it simple!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe I got given real drinks instead of diet

These days I don't order sodas unless I can see the can

I agree with @Goonergal , but on the odd occasion when I get a soft drink from the gun, I'm never really convinced the barman has pressed the right button for diet stuff, so I usually get the meter out and pop it into the drink. It'll show up as LO if it's diet, although I do then need to spend time convincing my meter I don't need to call an ambulance!

Vietnamese food can be a nightmare - I'm fine with egg noodles, but white rice noodles are like mainlining lucozade for me, and a lot of Asian food, unfortunately, involves sticking a few tablespoons of sugar into everything.

Reactions: Goonergal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had any urine test strips but they might be suitable for a quick food or drink test.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over time it gets easier and you know what is the best for you to order. Trying and testing post meal is the best way to learn.

I've even discovered I enjoy a sneaky Nando's :) chicken thighs and breasts with hot sauce on!
I can't see any reason not to eat Nandos I think it is a good choice. I like medium spice chicken wings with a side of Fino coleslaw sometimes I have a 1/4 chicken or the thighs with salad or the coleslaw. I would not even bother to test after that

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys! Testing the drink is a great idea! Love it haha.

I take my basal with meals so I remember! (Started on a split dose so that adjustments can be made faster if necessary..). I guess it would be easier to have it separate before bed in terms of if I'm not at home.

Also, still learning about the fat effect (and protein!). And still don't know what GI most foods are (besides obvious common ones)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys! Testing the drink is a great idea! Love it haha.

I take my basal with meals so I remember! (Started on a split dose so that adjustments can be made faster if necessary..). I guess it would be easier to have it separate before bed in terms of if I'm not at home.

Also, still learning about the fat effect (and protein!). And still don't know what GI most foods are (besides obvious common ones)
GI is difficult and expensive to measure and not precise as it varies from person to person, so you have to test the effect on a lot of people and get an average. As a diet controlled T2D I have not found GI helps much with predicting the effect of a particular food on my BS.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I stay well away from Thai/Vietnamese foods, they have a lot of added sugar.
I've spent some time perfecting it but now I can eat a KFC, chips and pizza out at restaurants and maintain an almost flat blood sugar profile due to careful bolusing.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They appear to have a very course scale reading 5.5 then 14 then 28 etc. What do you use them for? Maybe you could donate a couple in the interests of science and see if they can tell the difference between normal and slimline drinks.
Do you want me to send a couple to you? We use them to test Mr. Z every now and again, he is officially 'pre' and the doctor told him not to prick test himself so we just use these to make sure all is well.