Five years after Newcastle diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 years ago, having read early reports of Prof Taylor's work at Newcastle University, I embarked on a mission to 'reverse' my T2, prove doctors wrong, (they said I would not lose weight without bariatric surgery). Essentially it was about regaining control of my own health and well being. At that time I was also awaiting surgery to correct damage from previous abdominal surgeries.

Over a period of six months, I did two periods of Total Food Replacement. The first for 12 weeks, the second for 9 weeks. Within days of the first stint my BG returned to non-diabetic levels. Over the six months I lost 49kg. I found I was able to eat carbs in any quantity without any spikes in BG. My HbA1c readings (every three months) remained consistent at average 36. Stayed that way until recently.

A period of inactivity in the two years following surgery saw me regain some 20kg of the original 49 I had lost. During this time I had been in intensive care, and hospital following the 2 major surgical procedures. Hospital food is notoriously bad. I was also dependent on others for food choices and preparation for almost a year after. Despite this, my BG remained in non-diabetic range. During this period, I was not aware of the Low Carb method of dieting. Foolishly, I had returned to the advised Eatwell method as soon as I was able to manage my own food choices. Interestingly, other members of my family can eat this way without ill effect. They do not have diabetes, though.

Two years ago, I found out about LCHF here at DCUK. Initially it was confusing. I took the HF element a bit too literally. Bullet proof coffee and fat bombs are not for me. What has been beneficial has been the realisation that ENOUGH fat rather than HIGH fat, is what I need.

Which brings me to now.. Three months ago my HbA1c was 41. A couple of weeks ago, that was increased to 43. This despite not indulging in junk foods, but my weight is now probably beyond what the Taylor Newcastle team call the 'personal fat threshold'. Also, as I get older, (I am post menopausal) I believe that fat threshold will be lower. Despite being some 20 kg less than the weight I was 5 years ago, I am still obese.

So I have to take action. I do eat plenty of cheese and nuts, so they will be less. I am not ruling out some further fasting or even following Newcastle diet methods again, but will reassess on a weekly basis. Most importantly, will be more vigilant about regular BG testing.

My main reason for posting is not for a pity party. Just thought it could be of interest to those who have more recent experience of ND. Please don't think that if you achieve 'reversal' that is the end of T2. Management is for life.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Pipp

I read your post with interest, I do like reading an account of how others have gained control of their condition and how they manage to try and continue to battle against the odds. And how personal it all is.
I do like the fat threshold theory and it goes along with the how the body deals with what we eat and getting the balance right

I know that you will find a way to keep your control and benefit from the outcome
Keep your chin up and onward and upwards!
Best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 years ago, having read early reports of Prof Taylor's work at Newcastle University, I embarked on a mission to 'reverse' my T2, prove doctors wrong, (they said I would not lose weight without bariatric surgery). Essentially it was about regaining control of my own health and well being. At that time I was also awaiting surgery to correct damage from previous abdominal surgeries.

Over a period of six months, I did two periods of Total Food Replacement. The first for 12 weeks, the second for 9 weeks. Within days of the first stint my BG returned to non-diabetic levels. Over the six months I lost 49kg. I found I was able to eat carbs in any quantity without any spikes in BG. My HbA1c readings (every three months) remained consistent at average 36. Stayed that way until recently.

A period of inactivity in the two years following surgery saw me regain some 20kg of the original 49 I had lost. During this time I had been in intensive care, and hospital following the 2 major surgical procedures. Hospital food is notoriously bad. I was also dependent on others for food choices and preparation for almost a year after. Despite this, my BG remained in non-diabetic range. During this period, I was not aware of the Low Carb method of dieting. Foolishly, I had returned to the advised Eatwell method as soon as I was able to manage my own food choices. Interestingly, other members of my family can eat this way without ill effect. They do not have diabetes, though.

Two years ago, I found out about LCHF here at DCUK. Initially it was confusing. I took the HF element a bit too literally. Bullet proof coffee and fat bombs are not for me. What has been beneficial has been the realisation that ENOUGH fat rather than HIGH fat, is what I need.

Which brings me to now.. Three months ago my HbA1c was 41. A couple of weeks ago, that was increased to 43. This despite not indulging in junk foods, but my weight is now probably beyond what the Taylor Newcastle team call the 'personal fat threshold'. Also, as I get older, (I am post menopausal) I believe that fat threshold will be lower. Despite being some 20 kg less than the weight I was 5 years ago, I am still obese.

So I have to take action. I do eat plenty of cheese and nuts, so they will be less. I am not ruling out some further fasting or even following Newcastle diet methods again, but will reassess on a weekly basis. Most importantly, will be more vigilant about regular BG testing.

My main reason for posting is not for a pity party. Just thought it could be of interest to those who have more recent experience of ND. Please don't think that if you achieve 'reversal' that is the end of T2. Management is for life.

Thanks for posting Pipp. I'm sorry your HbA1c has crept up a little, prompting your thread.

As you may be aware, I often cite you when the ND is being discussed, and your candid disclosure will be more valuable to others than any benefit it could ever be to you. It certainly goes to show this diabetes malarky is a sneaky business, in it's creepy, hidden behaviours.

Provided your body can "get with the plan", I'm positive you'll reach your reassessed goal.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your encouraging remarks @nosher8355 and @AndBreathe.

Of course I have to add that I am not too despondent, and still think I had a good deal from Newcastle diet. At the very least, I will have delayed by 5 years and potential diabetes complications. Having been diagnosed 11 years ago I am very fortunate to have, thus far, had no problems with neuropathy or retinopathy. That can't be bad!

Having shouted from the rooftops here about my success with BG cotrol, post-ND, I felt it would be wrong to keep quiet about this 'minor setback'. That is how I regard the HbA1c of 43. It is a wake up call, and a reminder that we should never drop our guard with T2. Our bodies do change as we age, and undoubtedly my nutritional requirements are less than they were previously. Reducing that 43, should be achievable with a bit of tweaking of diet and exercise.
Disclosing here is not entirely a selfless act. I know that some of you will be keeping watch so that I cannot just slope off and deteriorate. ;)
That is what makes this place invaluable in the management tools available. I will report back on progress.
Many thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you about the long slog. Sometimes a quick gain, whether it is weight loss or a nice drop in HbA1c is inspiring and fantastic, but eventually that wears away, and we realise that (unfortunately) we are in this for life.
- a life of needing to monitor, and restrict, for ever.

Really appreciate you coming out and saying this. I sometimes feel like I am a rather deflating stuck record when I say stuff like 'WELL DONE on your improved bg/weightloss, but please keep testing, and please keep up the good work.' It is like being that boring lifeguard telling all the kids not to run. lol.

It doesn't need to be miserable (good grief, my current eating is ANYTHING but miserable!) but it does have to be aware.

Thank you.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting this @Pipp At least you are taking it as a wake up call which you are intending to tackle head on and as such I wish you all the best. I am also taking it as a warning for me that I still need to be careful and not relax too much. I didn't do the Newcastle diet but did lose weight and get some control over my blood sugars.
Thank you and I do hope you find a way of getting control again.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Brunneria.
I have to add that I certainly haven't been miserable with low carb either.
Just a bit too happy with the cream, cheese and nuts. Fortunate perhaps that I am able to eat things like bananas and can have beer without BG spikes. Yet something has caused the gradual upward creep of weight and HbA1c, so it is time to put a stop to that.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for posting this @Pipp At least you are taking it as a wake up call which you are intending to tackle head on and as such I wish you all the best. I am also taking it as a warning for me that I still need to be careful and not relax too much. I didn't do the Newcastle diet but did lose weight and get some control over my blood sugars.
Thank you and I do hope you find a way of getting control again.
Thanks, @Hiitsme . Your signature shows impressive results.
You are right, though. We are in this for the long haul.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how disappointing it is to have an increased HbA1c, so I'm glad you aren't too despondent about it. It is a wake up call, but with more vigilant testing and dietary tweaks, plus whatever other plans you have, you will achieve those lower levels again. We are all behind you.

It is a lesson we should all pay attention to. None of us can take our eyes off the ball, not even for a day. We are in this game for life.

Good luck Pip. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I relaxed 2 x and it caught up with me.

As far as A1c creeping up as well as weight, I was sharply reminded what dairy does to me yesterday. Spike and followed by resistance. 24 hours later back on track but a few small corrections and skipping lunch. Man I love that cheese but it does not love my bs.

Thanks for the post and I do like your ENOUGH fat. I tend to say VLC, moderate protein and ENOUGH fat to satisfy.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@Pipp

Thanks Pip for a great post. I have already benefited from your experience and have just returned from a few weeks off (no BG testing, carbs everywhere) and in that short time picked up 2.5kg. It just reinforces your point. Thanks for the reminder and my best wishes for your progress.
Cheers

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @muzza3
I am glad that my posts have been of use to you, and hope that after your few weeks off you can get back on track. Important to nip problems in the bud, before they get full blown. So good luck, and please keep on posting about your progress. It helps others see that long term maintenence is the key to good management.

My plan is to stay with Low Carbing, but have minimal amounts of fat. I have been eating a lot of cheese and nuts, so think it is the weight gain that has caused the BG increase. A sort of mini fast for the first few weeks, increasing amount of non-starchy veg. Also to only eat between 11am and 7pm. Drink plenty of water and green mint tea, especially during the 16 hour fasting window. Reassess after 3 weeks.
Testing more regularly. I have noticed that although the levels are under 7 two hours after meals, they sometimes have increased to between 7.5 to 7.9 three hours after eating. Not sure what that is about.
I am not ruling out doing a couple of weeks total food replacement. Will see how I get on intermittent fasting first. My GP is aware of what I am doing, and is supporting my decisions, so will keep him informed. He also offered Metformin, as although the HbA1c was, at 43, just into pre-diabetic range, he says it will help with insulin resistance problem.

I note that you have gained 2.5kg, @muzza3 . I usually have measured my weight in kg too, but think I will revert to stones and pounds, because if I said I gained 3kg, I could fool myself into thinking that is not as bad as saying I gained half a stone.;)

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a good thread that I relate to as I feel my hba1c has been heading in the wrong direction even tho it's still at non- diabetic levels and my GP cannot understand my concern.
I intend to start testing again and have purchased 3 pots of strips.
My other problem is trouble getting on the app - having to re logon EVERY time I wanna make a small comment so I haven't been on much rather I'm waiting for it to repair itself

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I could fool myself into thinking that is not as bad as saying I gained half a stone.;)

lol..... yes 2.5kg looks a lot better than 5.5lbs. Thanks Pip I'm back on track and will continue to post and follow your progress as well
Cheers

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only just come across this thread, which I've found very interesting and educational. So thank you, @Pipp, and the other contributors for all the info and advice given.
Reading through the comments has reminded me about questions and debate elsewhere, relating to whether or not diabetes can be "reversed", "halted" or fully "cured". I think there are good pointers here that are very relevant to that discussion; something I shall most definitely remember for the future.

Cheers, and good luck with the new fasting regime :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only just come across this thread, which I've found very interesting and educational. So thank you, @Pipp, and the other contributors for all the info and advice given.
Reading through the comments has reminded me about questions and debate elsewhere, relating to whether or not diabetes can be "reversed", "halted" or fully "cured". I think there are good pointers here that are very relevant to that discussion; something I shall most definitely remember for the future.

Cheers, and good luck with the new fasting regime :)
Thank you. I don't think there are many of us yet who are 5 years 'post Newcastle diet'. My decision to reveal my recent setback was mainly to inform and flag up for others the consequences of regaining weight. It might not be the same for everyone, but it does alarm me when I read posts were people seem to be of the opinion that ND is a short, one off, period of fasting. Some tend to forget the follow on is that you need to eat less than you had previously. This is a permanent lifestyle change.
I have to say that the supportive comments are encouraging, though. Also that now I have 'come out' about my set back, I feel obliged, due to the support, to sort this out and keep posting on my progress.
Many thanks, one and all.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First few days have gone well. Seeing more 5s and 6s in BG tests than before when it was 6s and 7s. Early days yet, but the fasting hadn't been a problem. Helps that I can allow myself the luxury of going to bed early and getting up late, so much of the fasting has been during sleep. The discipline of not eating after 7pm is important for me. Evening would usually be my time for eating cheese or/and nuts.
Not going to bother with weight check for at least a week, as primary aim is BG control. I do realise, though, that once BG control is achieved, perhaps then it will be advisable to continue to get weight way below personal fat threshold. AND keep it there. Don't expect to ever be slim. Not having spent half my life fat, but to get below obese level would be a target to aim for.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recording this to remind myself, really. So please feel free to comment, or ignore as you see fit.

I have been looking at @Debmcgee 's thread, and her method of fasting seems appealing. What I have been doing since mid-week, is only eating in the 'window' 11am until 7pm. Basically not having breakfast until after 11am, then main meal around 6:30pm, and just drinks inbetween. Breakfast has been either greek yogurt and blueberries, or egg with bacon. Dinner, salad with mayonnaise or veg with butter and some protein, such as salmon, chicken or egg. I have used a smaller plate, so smaller portions. Not had cheese or nuts, because if I start it is hard to stop.. Haven't felt hungry or deprived. Noticed slight reduction in BG fasting. What I have noticed is that testing one hour after, then two hours after, more often than not the reading is between 0.5 and 1.0 higher after 2 hours than at 1hour. That was unexpected, any suggestions as to why would be gratefully received and considered.
Early days yet, but intending to revisit research and publications on fasting and LCHF, before working out my long term strategy. In the meantime, as it is Sunday, family day, I intend to eat slightly more, with roast pork on the menu, and have made some strawberry ice cream following Ewelina's low carb recipe. Still all within the 8 hour window. For now, that will be the plan, along with rigourous testing and recording.

Reactions: LAR and mo53