Five years after Newcastle diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp
How are you getting on? My journey is similar, new to this. Diagnosed in February this year. My A1c is 60mmol!! Not good. So I'm trying hard with low carb diet and exercise. A bit hit and miss. But I've found I don't lose any weight if my blood sugar not in normal range! Two days of complete fast and I just creep into normal BG levels! Then a very low carb diet, I can sometimes spike to 10-11 fasting levels. May be the dawn phenomenon, I'm just plodding on, hoping to achieve some results which are vaguely normal
Thanks for your posts
LAR
Hello, @LAR . Thank you for asking.
Been meaning to post. Currently, weight loss has stalled. No more lost since last update. However, BG has been stable. Fasting morning being highest, at consistent low to mid 6. Then all others between 5 and 6. I am fasting from 7pm until 11am, but some days don't eat until 2pm. Last 4 weeks not able to exercise in water, which is always best for me being so heavy and having arthritis, limited mobility on land. So maybe this has slowed weight loss. It is also possible that I am not eating enough? Time to read and think somemore, and maybe change strategy. Although I am happy with current BG levels, still need to lower weight and get below personal fat threshold.

I see you are fairly new here, @LAR. It can all get overwhelming. I have had T2 11 years. I am still learning. I agree with AndBreathe. You should have a read round, then start a thread with specific questions. So many helpful and knowledgeable members here who are happy to share expertise.

Edit by Pipp: Forgot to mention potassium levels are now normal. Blood pressure still too high.
Will take a break from intermittent fasting and follow @Southport GP's guidelines for a while.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much of the time we have focussed on fasting as that has the most immediate impact on lowering glucose/insulin/IGF1 levels.

This interview with Valter Longo gives a slightly different perspective...that the key is actually in the refeeding after an extended fast 72hrs or greater...to simulate stem cells regeneration/renewal. Although it is largely about fasting and cancer, there are nuggets that would apply to us...
25:00 Food is the stressor, fasting is part of the normal world...
38:00 Different fasting interval and their effects...everything starts shrinking after glycogen store depleted.
43:00 comparison FMD with Ketogenic diet. The spinal cords regenerates/rebuilds...a week of FMD followed by mediterranian diet is more effective than 6 months of ketogenic diet...
http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/abstract/S2211-1247(16)30576-9
***1:10:00 IGF1 fasting/refeeding...chronic calorie restriction doesn't cause part B...after lowering IGF1, it doesn't cause the regeneration...

Last edited:
Reactions: LAR

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, @LAR . Thank you for asking.
Been meaning to post. Currently, weight loss has stalled. No more lost since last update. However, BG has been stable. Fasting morning being highest, at consistent low to mid 6. Then all others between 5 and 6. I am fasting from 7pm until 11am, but some days don't eat until 2pm. Last 4 weeks not able to exercise in water, which is always best for me being so heavy and having arthritis, limited mobility on land. So maybe this has slowed weight loss. It is also possible that I am not eating enough? Time to read and think somemore, and maybe change strategy. Although I am happy with current BG levels, still need to lower weight and get below personal fat threshold.

I see you are fairly new here, @LAR. It can all get overwhelming. I have had T2 11 years. I am still learning. I agree with AndBreathe. You should have a read round, then start a thread with specific questions. So many helpful and knowledgeable members here who are happy to share expertise.

Edit by Pipp: Forgot to mention potassium levels are now normal. Blood pressure still too high.
Will take a break from intermittent fasting and follow @Southport GP's guidelines for a while.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been keeping a bit of a low profile.
Low carbing. Not got much of an appetite. In fact food has no appeal, so skip breakfast. 2 small meals a day. Lunchtime, usually have 2 tablespoons full fat Greek yogurt. Or some cheese. Or homemade veg soup. Evening have some protein, (fish, meat, chicken or egg) lots of veg, with butter added.

Bg levels are stable, highest being morning fasting level. No spikes throughout day.

Still have high BP, (have for almost 40 years) despite already being on meds. Doc wants to add another med, I am hesitant.

Trying to decidenext move, as although BG seems fine, weight and BP need sorting.
More research needed here.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sort of 'lost' this thread in the busy business of day to day life.
Found it again due to being tagged elsewhere, and wanting to reference it for another member.
Have been remiss about updating, but there has not really been anything of note to add. No further weightloss, despite completly giving up all booze, ( not that I drank much) had already given up all rice, pasta, bread potatoes, and high carb foods. At least there has not been weight gain, though I still need to shed at least another 10kg, to take me from obese to overweight.
I have noticed an increase in fasting BG, sometimes as high as 7.6. Also, seeing mainly 6 - 6.5 2 hours post prandial. Been ages since monitor has displayed 5 or under. Due HbA1c next week, so will be guided by result. BP also remains high despite additional meds. This is not good. Pulse rate is too rapid as well, so being monitored for that.
Think I need to reconsider eating regime once again. Exercise too, as it has been less intense than usual due to various other ailments.

Reactions: AloeSvea