Fixing Libre sensor

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really close to buying my first couple of sensors after a free trial one back in March. I had a couple of questions for Abbott Libre Support, who are very knowledgeable. During the conversation I asked what their view of additional tape or dressings to protect the sensor from getting knocked off. I had a dressing applied for the trial one by the Abbott rep. She said that the company's view was it was a good idea, but to make sure that the small hole on the sensor wasn't covered by making a small hole in the dressing. We didn't do this in the trial.

Who does use a dressing over the sensor?

What do you use?

Do you make a hole to make sure the sensor hole isn't covered?

Thx
Barry

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use rock tape which works well with me and as you don't need a lot the roll lasts quite some time. I do not make a hole for the little hole and haven't had an issue.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use opsite flexfix and do not make a hole in it - which I am now going to do because I have been having trouble with this sensor reading really low and haven't had that before 48 hours in.
I wonder what the hole does - I thought it was just used for applicator needle.

Great info.

D

Deleted Account

I used micropore tape.
The rep for my trial recommended vetrap (yes. it's for animals but as it sticks to itself, I think you can use it again and agin)

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use rock tape going completly around my arm. Don't make any hole. Never had any problems.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use opsite flexfix and do not make a hole in it - which I am now going to do because I have been having trouble with this sensor reading really low and haven't had that before 48 hours in.
I wonder what the hole does - I thought it was just used for applicator needle.

Great info.
The support person said it 'breathes' through the hole. Might be worth getting more info next time one of us speaks to them.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut the foot off a sock and wore the leg bit like a tubular bandage. It was not a great success since the sock often rolled up and uncovered the sensor. Pursuing this idea I have now ordered a real tubular bandage to see how that goes.

I don't fancy the idea of sticky tape etc. if I can avoid it. The problem I am trying to overcome is that when removing my T shirt the sleeve seem stripped one sensor off my arm and although I now take more care I still think the sensor is vulnerable.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cut the foot off a sock and wore the leg bit like a tubular bandage. It was not a great success since the sock often rolled up and uncovered the sensor. Pursuing this idea I have now ordered a real tubular bandage to see how that goes.

I don't fancy the idea of sticky tape etc. if I can avoid it. The problem I am trying to overcome is that when removing my T shirt the sleeve seem stripped one sensor off my arm and although I now take more care I still think the sensor is vulnerable.

When I had my trial we used C-View dressings. They kind of blend the edges down to the skin so there isn't anything to catch on. Certainly worked. I never gave that problem any consideration during the trial. I was just careful drying after showering.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The elasticated tubular support bandage has arrived. I cut a piece off (approx 8") and pulled it onto the arm and over the sensor. It's early days but it shows no tendency to roll up, has no sticky substance and I can't tell that it's there since it is comfortable. We shall see how it goes.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really close to buying my first couple of sensors after a free trial one back in March. I had a couple of questions for Abbott Libre Support, who are very knowledgeable. During the conversation I asked what their view of additional tape or dressings to protect the sensor from getting knocked off. I had a dressing applied for the trial one by the Abbott rep. She said that the company's view was it was a good idea, but to make sure that the small hole on the sensor wasn't covered by making a small hole in the dressing. We didn't do this in the trial.

Who does use a dressing over the sensor?

What do you use?

Do you make a hole to make sure the sensor hole isn't covered?

Thx
Barry
Hi Barry,

In my experience I've always found the adhesive to be extremely strong. You might want to even try one without a dressing to see how you go. Depending on what sort of rough and tumble life you live, you might not even need to use anything extra.

I bought these for securing down my Dexcom sensors. The only reason I use extra film is because the sensors don't expire at 14 days and can sometimes last for over one month, so it's best practice to stick them down good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152391347204

You can fold them in half and cut out a semi circle, so when you open it back up there's a hole big enough to fit round the plastic body of the sensor - but stick on top of the sensor adhesive and then to your arm.

Note for anyone reading this that wants to use them with a Dexcom sensor, the film dressings are a tad too small and don't quite cover all of the Dexcom adhesive. Two small pieces of Opsite covers the remaining exposed adhesive though.

Last edited:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Punched a hole through the plaster and it has burst into full life. That could also be a coincidence...

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
e01b251b0a25fcf96f5011481be61a71.jpg

I had trouble with mine sweating off when I played hockey a couple of times. I now use 'skin tac ' wipes and apply one before I put my sensor in. I then cover it with a see transparent tape dressing. I make sure that there is something covering the sensor so it doesn't get pulled off if I remove the dressing - a nice little pattern I printed onto paper. Took a few tries to perfect but now I've got it nailed and the whole thing lasts two weeks without changing any of the dressings. This one has survived two swims in the sea this week.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't bother with tape, unless I'm going on a hot bike ride and expect to sweat. Then I put a loop of micropore around my arm, over the sensor. Even if the adhesive detaches, it usually stays on. I've never noticed any problems from covering the hole.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
e01b251b0a25fcf96f5011481be61a71.jpg

I had trouble with mine sweating off when I played hockey a couple of times. I now use 'skin tac ' wipes and apply one before I put my sensor in. I then cover it with a see transparent tape dressing. I make sure that there is something covering the sensor so it doesn't get pulled off if I remove the dressing - a nice little pattern I printed onto paper. Took a few tries to perfect but now I've got it nailed and the whole thing lasts two weeks without changing any of the dressings. This one has survived two swims in the sea this week.

I love that template! Any chance of attaching the template or is it strictly copy righted? I was thinking I could change the pattern but the shape and size would be handy....

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love that template! Any chance of attaching the template or is it strictly copy righted? I was thinking I could change the pattern but the shape and size would be handy....

I just googled a load of patterns and pasted them on to PowerPoint. I'm currently sporting a Mexican skull. I changed the size of the image using the scaling tool. Can't remember to what size - an inch may be. The picture you like was from a 'mandala' search

Reactions: Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just googled a load of patterns and pasted them on to PowerPoint. I'm currently sporting a Mexican skull. I changed the size of the image using the scaling tool. Can't remember to what size - an inch may be. The picture you like was from a 'mandala' search

Thanks - I will give it a go. I was hoping you had a template in PPT that I could use as a guide. I will have a go print out and cut out. Currently I have a bit of lint on it and it looks naff :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Opsite, which is breathable, and have never cut a hole over the middle of the sensor.
Never had it affect sensor function. :)

Although it is tricky to change the Opsite, since it sticks far better to the sensor than to my arm! lol.

I've tried various things. I've cut circles of white paper and put them over the sensor. I have trimmed the tape and left the circle that sticks to the sensor, and then applied mor tape over the top. And I've asked Mr B to press the sensor down while he gently peels the tape back... They all seem to work.

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - I will give it a go. I was hoping you had a template in PPT that I could use as a guide. I will have a go print out and cut out. Currently I have a bit of lint on it and it looks naff :)

If you pm me your email address I can send you the ppt file I have.