Flax seed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's tricky. We have had some success with "keto cheesy party crackers." Unfortunately these do contain almond flour and "flaxmeal" which I assume you will not tolerate.

Is Flaxmeal the same as milled flax seed? I eat enough flaxseed to sink a battle ship.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Flaxmeal the same as milled flax seed? I eat enough flaxseed to sink a battle ship.

Probably. My wife does that one and she's out. I checked our supplies and we have no flaxmeal. My wild guess is that she just used flax seed. Conceivably she crushed it with a pestle and mortar but I think that's unlikely. I will ask when she gets back.

The other interesting thing about that recipe is that, although it uses parmesan (and the crackers taste strongly of yummy parmesan), I expect it would work with other ground/shredded cheeses or other foods. We never got around to experimenting with it.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My wife says it actually was flaxmeal. That is what they call it here in America. We are out of it, so I cannot check what it says on the packet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you find you need to cut them when they are still warm? Just tried the recipe and they are a bit difficult to cut once they have started cooling. I just used flax and ground almonds with some chilli flakes and garlic granules they taste pretty yum.
When i used to make flax crackers regularly, i used to score them woth a knife before baking.
When cooked and cooled they would lift off the silicon sheet in one piece and break like chocolate into the pre-scored pieces.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only some of these delicious sounding recipes come without any nutty ingredients. I can't eat nuts and that includes coconut. (Not allergic as such but they make me want to heave as soon as they touch my tongue. A life-long issue with me)

The most basic way of making flaxseed crackers is water, flax (ground or whole) and any herbs and seasonings you like.
Just add water and seasonings to the flax, wait til the mucilage is released, spread the goo out onto a tray, and bake. The result is VERY brittle, but it works fine as a cracker.

http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/05/flax-crackers/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i used to make flax crackers regularly, i used to score them woth a knife before baking.
When cooked and cooled they would lift off the silicon sheet in one piece and break like chocolate into the pre-scored pieces.
great idea.. one to try next time..

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We tried that with the "keto seed crackers" recipe linked in my earlier post. It didn't work because the heat caused the coconut oil to melt the crackers back together again. I think that is not surprising because your recipe is fairly different.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to give them a try and take the results into work to put in the biscuit tin instead of the chocolate digestives that usually live there!

I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for a low carb Christmas pudding? That's one thing I am really going to miss this year.......

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to give them a try and take the results into work to put in the biscuit tin instead of the chocolate digestives that usually live there!

I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for a low carb Christmas pudding? That's one thing I am really going to miss this year.......
I’ve been thinking of Xmas. I just Googled low carb Xmas pud. I found this, sounds like it could be a very acceptable alternative. It’s around 20g carbs for the whole pudding, so 5 per portion. I worked it out without the melted chocolate on top as I’d rather just have it with cream :hungry:
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-best-low-carb-christmas-pudding.html

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox Recipe copied, printed, approved by Mrs DeeJay, sorted. Thanks.
It will be eaten long before Xmas of course.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I may have to ‘test’ it before Xmas! :joyful:

Accurate testing requires several samples consumed at regular intervals. The larger the number, the more accurate the derived average result. Science is important.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Accurate testing requires several samples consumed at regular intervals. The larger the number, the more accurate the derived average result. Science is important.

These are principles by which I live. ;)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are principles by which I live. ;)

Sorry, I'm getting a bit giddy. I had my three-monthly HbA1c test three days ago, and I have this really narrow window of a few days during which I can do whatever I like without any likely effect on the next A1C three months from now.

Temptation Looms. Silly verbal exuberance is a poor substitute for Forbidden Foods, but is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Japes

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! that looks really yummy. Can't wait to try it.

Low-carb really isn't that much of a limitation. It's weird, to start with, but the panoply of possibilities is pretty vast. I can think of all sorts of other dietary options that are more restrictive and definitely more boring.

I speak as someone who was brought up in France and regularly travels back to that Food Mecca. I love, love, love food. Prior to T2D there was almost nothing that I would not eat. Obviously that has changed now, but it really is not as hard as I initially thought.

As for those close to me, that is another matter. My wife and I are still stepping through this, gingerly.

Food is such a social thing, isn't it?

Last edited: