1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Flaxseed and Diabetes, anyone is using them ?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by cherifi1965, Jun 18, 2014.

1. cherifi1965

cherifi1965 · Newbie

Hi there,

I started taking Flaxseeds, I added them to my diet, and I feel much better, anyone is doing the same thing ?? please get to me and let me know if you have good results and how long have you been using them?? I am thinking to stop metforming and glicazide and all the rest.

you can find more details and the benefits of flaxseeds on this link : www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

Thanks

2. Jenny39579

Jenny39579 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have recently started using them and I swear by them.

I'm trying to lose weight at present, and I find flaxseed added to my foods really does make me feel fuller.

Apparently, they can also help slow down the absorption of carbohydrate, provided they're eaten with carbohydrate. Which is good for keeping blood sugars stable.

I've lost 7lbs so far since I started my healthy eating diet. And my blood sugar is usually around about 6.

So Yeah, I would recommend getting flaxseeds into ones diet! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Eat linseeds (flaxseeds) every morning for breakfast together with sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

4. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

I found they are an acquired taste, so start with small additions, but it won't make such a difference that you can drop your meds. low carb might

5. Jenny39579

I've been thinking about trying pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I might get some and add them to my wheat bran for brekkie!

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

They are quite cheap in Lidl or Aldi, don't get them in Holland & Barrett as they can be quite expensive unless they have a offer on. I add mine to my morning porridge as it cooks.

7. Jenny39579

Thanks for the tip,

I think they sell them in Poundland, but you'll probably get more for your money in Lidl and Aldi.

Their Almonds are far cheaper than any other shop I've looked in.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cherifi1965

cherifi1965 · Newbie

Thanks Jenny for that

9. cath99

cath99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i use them in bread as the main ingrident , as i dont buy any now not sure if they do me much good but bread tastes nice x

10. peacetrain

peacetrain Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been using it for about 5 months and enjoy it. I don't know how much impact it has had because I've changed so many things about my diet. I'm sure it's making a good contribution to my well being.

11. sunspots

sunspots Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They leave a persistent horrible taste for me. I wonder if genetics play a part like it does in some children's perception of greens being bitter?

12. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Same thing for me - I think they are mostly rancid by the time we buy them, especially if pre-ground. Ugh - disgusting stuff!

13. sunspots

sunspots Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I thought it might be something yo do with the age of the seeds, but then I remembered I really don't like Burgen bread either.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook