Flu jab appears to equal Flu

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Had the flu jab Thursday, came down with flu like symptons ( headache, sneezing, aching, catar, hot and cold) Friday and still feeling rubbish today.
:roll:
Is this normal? - my hubbies the same as well.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's not normal, but it does sometimes happen that you get a mild dose of a cold or flu like symptoms.
After many years of the jab I have had it happen a couple of times. Annoying, but nothing to worry about.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
hey doc just rang me and has confirmed that I have flu and same with hubby.
She also reckons that its total coincidence me having the jab then being ill - not so sure as felt ill at the surgery after the jab anyway nurse made me wait for an extra hour.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Glad you spoke to the Doc. Seems that many more are doing a diagnosis by phone nowadays, never actually examining the patient. Taking a temperature etc.

I suppose if it walks like a horse, looks like a horse, and it sounds like a horse, then well it must be a horse. Wonder if they ever saw a Zebra....? :D

I recently had 5 of the 7 swine flu symptoms. Turned out it was just a bad cold and over in a couple of days. If I had phoned the helpline I have no doubt I would have been prescribed Tamiflu and informed I had swine flu. No wonder nobody believes the statistics any more. Most of the people who have supposedly had it, quite simply haven't. Just a dose of flu.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I used to work for BT and they always offered us the flu jab. I took it 3 years on the trot and every year I got mild flu. I recently got invited by my GP to get a flu jab on account of my diabetes. I thought it would be best to have it. I told the nurse about my concerns and she said that I shouldnt worry as it is impossible to get flu from the jab. So I took her on her word and guess what??
I awoke today with a sore throat, chesty and a headache. I havent had a cold for about 4 years or more!!
My fasting BG was highest for weeks at 6.2.
Now I am waiting for my invite for the swine flu jab. I cant wait!!!! :roll:

Steve.

Janieb

Dislikes
Ah ha so I was right then, just a bit strange that both myself and hubbie have it and its actually the third day of feeling ****** for me now. Try gigging with flu its fun NOT.

Also worried about the swine flu one now as well with loads of important stuff coming up I really dont want to be ill.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Thinking twice now about heading to GP surgery this afternoon for T1 sons and my (asthmatic) flu jab. Have a busy weekend planned with a big Halloween party on Saturday night and Andrews 11th birthday party on Monday. Last years flu jab was the first i ever had in which i did not have flu in the New Year, unfortunately it was Andrews 3rd year of having the jab and his 1st to have flu in the New Year, makes you think if it's worth while, Not looking forward to the sore arm!
Suzi x

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Well Andrew and i both had our flu jab yesterday, they offered to do the swine flu vaccine at the same time!! we both declined. Think one vaccine running around in our systems is enough at once. Anyhow today we both woke after a restless nights sleep, with sore swollen arms, Andrews is very blotchy and red and I feel quite nauscious. Hope it's worth it, and gives us full protection this year. Swine flu jab in 2 weeks time, would like to hear from anyone who has already had it.
Thanks,
Suzi x

Janieb

Dislikes
Not had the swine flu jab yet thought I'd wait as still got the flu its been five days now of feeling dreadful.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had the flu jab for years and only once have I actually had flu properly. The symptoms you get from a flu jab can be psychosomatic, the flu jab doesn't give you flu.

sweetlady

hi had my flu injection and seem to be ok, I guess it effects everyone differently. :(
and I am having the swine flu jab on thursday, abit weary about it maybe it is all the negative things about it what do you think:?:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
kay957 said:
I have had the flu jab for years and only once have I actually had flu properly. The symptoms you get from a flu jab can be psychosomatic, the flu jab doesn't give you flu.
Psychology must be a very powerful thing, I reckon my jab to flu ratio is about 50% with real physical reactions, headache, body aches, sore throat etc. In fact when I havent had the jab, I rarely get it!!

Steve.

Janieb

Dislikes
kay957 said:

I hope you're not trying to make out that the Flu was all in my head as both myself and my hubbie were very poorly in deed and in fact I had to get the doc out to my hubbie because he was so bad.

:twisted: :twisted: :evil:

lizc

Had my seasonal flu jab a few weeks ago with no side effects, had my swine flu jab on Monday morning and have felt achey with a headache and sore arm. Feeling much better today but arm still aching at the top. In our surgery everyone was sent to sit down for 10 minutes in the waiting room after the injection. It was quite odd everyone sitting there looking at their watches and each other waiting for something to happen - but nothing did.

Shazza

I hope you dont, my Son got his 1st today and isnt very well tonight, I,m hoping a good sleep and he,ll be ok tomorrow

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I've been resisting the flu jab for years now, but our doc gave me a stiff talking to about having it now that I've been diagnosed T2. We both went along on Thursday as the Luxembourg government is offering the jab to everyone free of charge. Well organised procedure, filled in allergy forms (neither of us has any), had a doc go over the forms to make sure we understood everything, and then we got the shot. Had a seat in the specially prepared waiting room with juice or water if wanted, waited ten minutes and then went home. The site of the shot is a little tender, but otherwise no other symptoms. Just goes to show how different we all are in our reactions, both to normal medical treatments and diabetic ones.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had seasonal flu vaccine a couple of weeks ago, no obvious effects, not even a sore arm. Had swine flu vaccine last week. Arm sore and felt a bit "off",for 2 days, but nothing serious.
If vaccines work, it's not uncommon to have some minor symptoms.
If you are already unwell, you shouldn't have vaccine It could be too much for your immune system. My nurse did ask if I were well.
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The flu and swine flu vaccines can not give you flu, but they will not protect you against the common cold which can and does affect some people quite badly.