**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Morning

As flu season looms I have started to develop a little anxiety over getting the jab, I've had diabetes for 18 years and had the jab each year without fail (my GP all but hunts me down). But two years ago I developed insulin resistance for about four days after the jab (I had to increase my dose by about 200%!!). And it was pretty scary.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so how did you manage it?

xoxox

D

Deleted Account

I've not experience this after a flu jab but I have seen my insulin requirements rocket when I am ill.
I would assume your body was fighting the virus (or whatever it is) in the flu vaccine.
Full blown flu would be much worse .. .and probably impact your insulin requirements in a similar way.
No one forces you to have the jab (even if you are hunted down, you can still say "no"). But, for me, I think a few days of discomfort a year are worth it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @**shell** I agree with Helen, i've had flu and wouldn't want it ever again, bed ridden for about 4 days. As they are injecting various strains into your system to help build immunity there will be a few days of careful monitoring required but much easier to deal with than getting full blown flu, without a doubt it's worth having it done (just booking mine now !!) :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember you choose when you hvae the Flu Jab (most chemists will do it for free without a apointment if you prove you have diabetes.) Hence you can choose a few days when you are able to monitor your BG well unlike getting the full Flue at a unkown time.

Most years the Jab does little as you already have immunity to all the strains it contrains, but some years it contains a strain that will make you very ill if you got it without first having the Jab. They they to work out what strains are lickly to be common next winter when designing each years jab. Therefore the years when the fill ill due to the jab are the years it has had the most benfit.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Ah yeah I would never not get the jab. I'm just wondering if people have ever experienced resistance from it and how they coped with the situation. X