Type 1: Flu after flu jab

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never really had the flu, got a flu jab last week and now I have had he flu for three days, sick of the sneezing above all else. Any little tips on getting rid of it?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
how are your BG levels ????? -- flu will take as long as it takes ( a few days or a couple of weeks )
make sure you are testing , drinking fluids , and correcting as needed

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You do not have the flu you have a cold. If you had the flu you would be in bed begging someone to put you out of your misery.

Search Results

People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:
  • Fever* or feeling feverish/chills.
  • Cough.
  • Sore throat.
  • Runny or stuffy nose.
  • Muscle or body aches.
  • Headaches.
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

Flu can kill, especially if you end up with secondary infections like pneumonia. The flu shot does not cause flu and it does not prevent you catching a cold. I hope you feel better soon.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the worst thing about whatever you have is the sneezing, it probably isn't flu.

Lots of menthol rub, rest and water should help recovery from a grotty cold. Hope you feel better soon.

S

Shar67

Flu is like true love, you might get it once or twice in your life.
Olbas oil is my favourite for anything that you think is flu

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have everyone of them symptoms apart from the last, I know it's the flu. Bg levels are good between 7 and 10.

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't normally wine about things, when I got told I have type 1 it's didn't really faze me and still hasn't, I just hate sneezing and a runny nose :)

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
The flu jab definitely does not give u the flu. It's probably a coincidence that u were getting a cold as u got ur jab. My doc said the best way to tell is. ..if there is a £50 note on the mat and u can't get up to get it, then it's flu if u can get up to get it. Itsca bad cold! Lol

S

Shar67

I had it once, my son was a toddler, he spend the morning running around the house, every so often coming over to me and forcing my eyelids open. I've never been so glad to see my hubby in my life at 2pm. My son was even more glad as it meant he was getting food and not the pieces of bread he managed to get from cupboard.
Hubby and son both got swine flu when we had that major epidemic, I was just out of hospital and couldn't walk, we were in a right old mess as no one was strong enough to prepare food etc.
I think I missed getting swine flu as I had flu jab and body was better equipped to fight it

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
The very reason I never have a flu jab and never will!! I work in a hospital and several collegues have gone off sick with colds/flu after having the jab!

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Flu symptoms are listed as side effects from the jab. Hope you feel better soon!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have everyone of them symptoms apart from the last, I know it's the flu. Bg levels are good between 7 and 10.
But you can also get all those symptoms with a common cold too. The difference with flu is that you wouldn't be on here complaining about it - you'd be far too ill. Believe me!

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

If your levels are between 7 and 10 with an illness, you are doing well. I have never had flu, but an illness can shoot my BS well into double figures. It may not be flu, maybe the constant sneezing could be attributed to a reaction from the flu jab, it may have set off an allergic reaction or a grotty cold?
I do hope you start to feel better very soon, take care.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't normally wine about things, when I got told I have type 1 it's didn't really faze me and still hasn't, I just hate sneezing and a runny nose :)

You will know flu if it hits you.
There's a fever, ache, a delirious state.
severe lack of apetite being proof as the sugars go through the roof
You wouldn't wanna move just to read this..

Hope yer cold goes soon?!
Here's a big X.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I had flu once, when I was in my twenties and fit. The only time I got out of bed for a week was to crawl on all fours to the bathroom. As I mentioned on here before my Nan died of flu. I always have the jab - but it doesn't stop me getting a cold!

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
Its ok, you have man flu (a cold) people dont understand how much worsr it is for us blokes

Reactions: Jaylee
M

mist

Flu is brutal. Much better to have the jab and put up with mild cold like symptoms for a couple of days.