Food advertising

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Since I am having to watch what I eat, it seems I am seeing sweet stuff everywhere! I was watching TV just now and I saw an advert for Nutella chocolate spread, followed by an advert for Haribos. I was just thinking how indoctrinated we all are to think there's nothing wrong with sweet stuff when the next advert made me laugh. It was an advert for medical/health negligence claims. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you think we all got into this mess? TV ads are powerful. In a way it makes life simpler. When I go to the supermarket there are whole aisles that I don't have to walk down.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tuned out of that stuff since I was a kid...

My rule of thumb is if a food company is aggressively advertising & sponsoring it can't be that good for you...

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Food ads aren't exactly making health claims ("this ice cream is delicious!")... and to be honest, I'd think a better question is why you ever thought that corporations trying to sell their products would particularly care about your health.

Also, the new wave of "you can have X as part of a healthy diet" is essentially a response to consumers wising up - whilst technically the same is true for shaving cream, it's now your fault for getting fat because you don't run three marathons each day to burn the calories from that delicious sugar coated with a little bit if cornflakes

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Advertising is a powerful tool, all the tv we watch now is recorded or on catch-up so we fast-forward the adverts :)

Reactions: 2 people