Food intolerances, diabetes and weight

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive mentioned food intolerances in a couple of posts dedictated to other issues, but thought it might be helpful to do something a bit more focused
My observations are based purely on personal expeience so I dont know how much, if it all, it might be relevant to anyone else but it might be an area to explore
I was born in the late 1950s and the only time I wasnt overweight was when I was born! - throughout chilhood weight was gained at a rate of a stone or so a year until the early 1980’s when I commenced treatment with am allergy clinic and after various skin tests etc was started on an exclusion diet where the range of safe foods was limited for 10 days followed by testing of foods to see their effect. the range of safe foods rapidly expanded to include anything I didnt react to and this produced an increase in total calories together with rapid weight loss (61/2 stone in 6 months) which went against everything Id been told to do / think about weight and weight loss.
There was quite a bit written in the literature I read at the time linking food intolerance to later development of diabetes, although the NHS consultant I spoke to shortly after my diabetes diagnosis in the 1990s basically said the notion was rubbish
Im about to start a process of excluding and retesting a couple of the foods I was first diagnosed as intolerant to (dairy and eggs) because Ive noticed that thay are forming a bigger part of my current diet and seem to be assosciated with some bizzare BS raises.
In my experience, the foods I was most intolerant to were the ones I ate the most and seemed almost addicted to - when stopping milk I had repetative milk focused dreams for 7 or 8 days - drieams of drnking or even bathing in milk which was pretty weird and very similar to the repetative dreams I had about fags when giving those up
Ive recently bought this book as part of revisiting the area - if its of interest to anyone, heres the link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APDVDT4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Even though we are told by the supposed experts in dietary advice, it does seem to be that some food is only healthy by those foods you can tolerate. But try telling someone who doesn't test or ignore the facts that healthy doesn't mean healthy to those who have metabolic conditions.
Having a lot of food intolerance does mean that if I don't eat these foods, I am a lot more healthy, for me!
Once again, one size does not fit all!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you’re saying. Nuts, eggs and cheese have been in and out of my diet, not surprising as they are in the top 7 foods for intolerances/allergies.

I tend to try to follow The Whole 30 autoimmune protocol as much as possible. However being ultra low carb and diabetic with a stupid stomach doesn’t leave lots of options.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-AIP.pdf

I do eat Macs, pecans and eggs and occasionally cheese. I probably shouldn’t but I don’t gain weight or feel bad from them.

I believe many people are intolerant to loads of foods they eat they cause loads of issues including diabetes and obesity.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive mentioned food intolerances in a couple of posts dedictated to other issues, but thought it might be helpful to do something a bit more focused
My observations are based purely on personal expeience so I dont know how much, if it all, it might be relevant to anyone else but it might be an area to explore
I was born in the late 1950s and the only time I wasnt overweight was when I was born! - throughout chilhood weight was gained at a rate of a stone or so a year until the early 1980’s when I commenced treatment with am allergy clinic and after various skin tests etc was started on an exclusion diet where the range of safe foods was limited for 10 days followed by testing of foods to see their effect. the range of safe foods rapidly expanded to include anything I didnt react to and this produced an increase in total calories together with rapid weight loss (61/2 stone in 6 months) which went against everything Id been told to do / think about weight and weight loss.
There was quite a bit written in the literature I read at the time linking food intolerance to later development of diabetes, although the NHS consultant I spoke to shortly after my diabetes diagnosis in the 1990s basically said the notion was rubbish
Im about to start a process of excluding and retesting a couple of the foods I was first diagnosed as intolerant to (dairy and eggs) because Ive noticed that thay are forming a bigger part of my current diet and seem to be assosciated with some bizzare BS raises.
In my experience, the foods I was most intolerant to were the ones I ate the most and seemed almost addicted to - when stopping milk I had repetative milk focused dreams for 7 or 8 days - drinking or even bathing in milk which was pretty weird and very similar to the repetative dreams I had about fags when giving those up
Ive recently bought this book as part of revisiting the area - if its of interest to anyone, heres the link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APDVDT4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Boo - many moons ago, I developed a post-viral polyarthritis condition, meaning I was (thankfully) quite disabled by it. Just as an example, I couldn't lift may arms above my shoulders. Even brushing my own hair was an incredible challenge for one who is normally pretty bendy.

I wasn't keen on the meds suggested, so saw a medically qualified herbalist who immediately had me to the exclusion diet too. Right up front she asked me what foods I really like, and followed up my responses that I should probably expect to be disappointed in my reaction to them. She was right.

Good luck with it all. Intolerances are a pain - literally or figuratively.